Calling all Corruptors!

StriderIV

Hi heroes (and villians 😄)!

As a primarily melee based player (I've 50'd a few tankers, brutes, stalkers and scrapper), I've decided I wanted to try my hand at my first ranged Archetype! Corruptors appeal to me because SCOURGE (it always is nice seeing it pop over enemies heads while I'm in the fray), as well them being a bit of a hybrid of a blaster/defender. I like having some options to help support the team, as well as lay down some hurt of my own 🙂

After doing some research on the forums, I've found a few primaries and secondaries that seem to work fairly "optimally" on a Corruptor.

The Primaries I found were:

Fire

Ice

Water

For secondaries it looked like:
Cold Domination

Kin

Dark

I wanted to pick all your brains and see what you all felt would be a really good/strong combination for the current game and for a new Corruptor player 😄 Do any of these primaries/secondaries have a specific synergy? For example, Fire/kin is pretty famous for working well together. Any others I should note? Also, which ones do NOT work well together. I hear that Water can be a primary that requires a lot of attention, so you might want a secondary that isn't really click intensive.

All this being said, I'm also very open to other options! I'd love to be educated a bit more on the world of Corruptors, and have this be an open conversation. Please let me know if I've misread about the strength of these sets on a Corruptor, or if there are any other power sets I should consider!

Thanks in advance all!

Radiation Emission and Time Manipulation are great on Corruptors as well.  Do you want to solo AVs and most GMs?  Fire or Ice Blast combined with Radiation Emission, you will be able to do it easily, and also be welcome on teams.

Do you want to solo regular content with ease and be useful on teams?  Dark Miasma and Time Manipulation say “Hello.”  You won’t be able to solo GMs like Rad, but you will also be safer.  Water and Dual Pistols are great primaries for both, but any damage set will work.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Apparition said:

Radiation Emission and Time Manipulation are great on Corruptors as well.  Do you want to solo AVs and most GMs?  Fire or Ice Blast combined with Radiation Emission, you will be able to do it easily, and also be welcome on teams.

Do you want to solo regular content with ease and be useful on teams?  Dark Miasma and Time Manipulation say “Hello.”  You won’t be able to solo GMs like Rad, but you will also be safer.  Water and Dual Pistols are great primaries for both, but any damage set will work.

This is awesome, thank you! Water/Dark seems like it could be a lot of fun. I also hadn't put a lot of thought into Rad, although I know Rad/Sonic Defenders are AV killers, it makes sense it could work on a Corruptor as well. Do you feel Fire of Ice pair with it more optimally?

2 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

This is awesome, thank you! Water/Dark seems like it could be a lot of fun. I also hadn't put a lot of thought into Rad, although I know Rad/Sonic Defenders are AV killers, it makes sense it could work on a Corruptor as well. Do you feel Fire of Ice pair with it more optimally?

Two good friends of mine both play Water/Dark Corruptors and love it.  It looks fun from watching them.  Tar Patch + Whirlpool = good times.

I have a Ice Blast/Rad Corruptor.  I regularly solo GMs with it.  The only GMs he can’t solo are the Council Goliath War Walker and Seed of Hamidon, and as far as I know they can’t be soloed.  If you intend on being a solo AVs and GMs master, I would go with Ice over Fire.  It has better single target, and Scourged Blizzard is a beautiful thing.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Two good friends of mine both play Water/Dark Corruptors and love it.  It looks fun from watching them.  Tar Patch + Whirlpool = good times.

I have a Ice Blast/Rad Corruptor.  I regularly solo GMs with it.  The only GMs he can’t solo are the Council Goliath War Walker and Seed of Hamidon, and as far as I know they can’t be soloed.  If you intend on being a solo AVs and GMs master, I would go with Ice over Fire.  It has better single target, and Scourged Blizzard is a beautiful thing.

Now I want to roll an Ice/Rad and a Water/Dark 😂 just recolor the water black and green or something.

I hear Scourged Blizzard is super satisfying haha. My only true AV killer rig now is an EM/EA Stalker, so it’d be nice to add another. If you happen to have a build you could share 😉 haha

16 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Also, how would you say Thermal fairs on a Corruptor?

My one level 50 corruptor is an Ice/Thermal. Thermal is a great powerset on teams. The +res buff for teammates is especially useful if you have other squishies or defense-oriented melee characters on your team. Six of the nine powers require an ally. Though the T8 and T9 powers are great, I don't recommend Thermal for soloing. The lack of self-protective powers is a major drawback.

I'm currently experimenting with an Ice/Nature corruptor (now level 45). Nature has AOE +res, +regen, heal/absorb, +dam, and +tohit. It's too soon to say whether this will be a good endgame toon, but the damage numbers in Mids are shiny.

If you want a corruptor with a "healing set," and you're planning to solo more than occasionally, I'd recommend Nature or Pain over Thermal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bastille Boy said:

My one level 50 corruptor is an Ice/Thermal. Thermal is a great powerset on teams. The +res buff for teammates is especially useful if you have other squishies or defense-oriented melee characters on your team. Six of the nine powers require an ally. Though the T8 and T9 powers are great, I don't recommend Thermal for soloing. The lack of self-protective powers is a major drawback.

I'm currently experimenting with an Ice/Nature corruptor (now level 45). Nature has AOE +res, +regen, heal/absorb, +dam, and +tohit. It's too soon to say whether this will be a good endgame toon, but the damage numbers in Mids are shiny.

If you want a corruptor with a "healing set," and you're planning to solo more than occasionally, I'd recommend Nature or Pain over Thermal.

Appreciate the insight =] any specific primaries you like? You mention having an Ice, it seems like it’s a pretty solid set.

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Appreciate the insight =] any specific primaries you like? You mention having an Ice, it seems like it’s a pretty solid set.

Ice is indeed a solid set. It has excellent single target damage and a powerful nuke. It's a bit lackluster on AOE damage outside of the nuke. It has useful secondary effects and some potential for procs (though on a corruptor, you're unlikely to have much space in your build for procs unless you pick a secondary like Time that mostly covers your defenses).

My go-to primaries for defenders are Water and Sonic. I would advise against taking Sonic on a corruptor; much of the damage comes from the -res, so you want to go defender with that set. Water is worth considering for a corruptor, though I haven't tried it yet. It's sort of the opposite of Ice: lots of AOE, weaker on single target damage. It also has useful secondary effects and room for procs, notably including multiple places to slot Force Feedback +recharge.

There are a lot of blast sets I haven't tried because I don't like them thematically (e.g. Fire, which is obviously a good set, for corruptors especially). Beam is a good set, though it's arguably better for defenders because of the secondary effects. I want to like Psychic Blast, but the lack of solid AOE is a problem. (It is even more single target focused than Ice.) The corruptor/defender version is arguably better than the blaster version, since it has a cone, an immobilize, and a better version of Will Domination.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

Does the crash on Rad's EMP T9 have a huge impact? Would think it could be matched with Cold's Benumb, which has no crash. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it all out haha. Analysis paralysis.

34 minutes ago, Bastille Boy said:

Ice is indeed a solid set. It has excellent single target damage and a powerful nuke. It's a bit lackluster on AOE damage outside of the nuke. It has useful secondary effects and some potential for procs (though on a corruptor, you're unlikely to have much space in your build for procs unless you pick a secondary like Time that mostly covers your defenses).

My go-to primaries for defenders are Water and Sonic. I would advise against taking Sonic on a corruptor; much of the damage comes from the -res, so you want to go defender with that set. Water is worth considering for a corruptor, though I haven't tried it yet. It's sort of the opposite of Ice: lots of AOE, weaker on single target damage. It also has useful secondary effects and room for procs, notably including multiple places to slot Force Feedback +recharge.

There are a lot of blast sets I haven't tried because I don't like them thematically (e.g. Fire, which is obviously a good set, for corruptors especially). Beam is a good set, though it's arguably better for defenders because of the secondary effects. I want to like Psychic Blast, but the lack of solid AOE is a problem. (It is even more single target focused than Ice.) The corruptor/defender version is arguably better than the blaster version, since it has a cone, an immobilize, and a better version of Will Domination.

Is there a specific archetype you feel Water is best on?

5 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Does the crash on Rad's EMP T9 have a huge impact? Would think it could be matched with Cold's Benumb, which has no crash. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it all out haha. Analysis paralysis.

Wouldn't know, never used it. :classic_wink:  The only powers worth taking on Radiation Emission are Radiant Aura, Radiation Infection, Accelerate Metabolism, Enervating Field, Mutation, and Lingering Radiation.  The tier seven through nine powers are not worth taking.

4 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Is there a specific archetype you feel Water is best on?

Water is best on Corruptors, IMO.  It has DoTs and a rain-like power in Whirlpool which make full use of Scourge.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Wouldn't know, never used it. :classic_wink:  The only powers worth taking on Radiation Emission are Radiant Aura, Radiation Infection, Accelerate Metabolism, Enervating Field, Mutation, and Lingering Radiation.  The tier seven through nine powers are not worth taking.

Water is best on Corruptors, IMO.  It has DoTs and a rain-like power in Whirlpool which make full use of Scourge.

You're awesome dude. What power in Rad Em gives -regen for the AV killing? Thought it was the t9 haha, mb. I could see Water going with it well for the mix of -def, but ice/fire may be more optimal. I'd go with your experience haha.

9 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

You're awesome dude. What power in Rad Em gives -regen for the AV killing? Thought it was the t9 haha, mb. I could see Water going with it well for the mix of -def, but ice/fire may be more optimal. I'd go with your experience haha.

That would be Lingering Radiation for the -regen.  Water would go well with Rad.  It just would have a more difficult time soloing AVs and GMs due to the lack of single target damage in comparison to Fire and Ice.

It seems like /Rad is the way to go. Would you say the difference between Fire/Rad and Ice/Rad is fairly neglible? I COULD see Blizzard making a big difference. Might have to role a Ice or fire/Rad and Water/something else 😄 You're giving me so many good options!

14 minutes ago, Apparition said:

That would be Lingering Radiation for the -regen.  Water would go well with Rad.  It just would have a more difficult time soloing AVs and GMs due to the lack of single target damage in comparison to Fire and Ice.

It seems like /Rad is the way to go. Would you say the difference between Fire/Rad and Ice/Rad is fairly neglible? I COULD see Blizzard making a big difference. Might have to role a Ice or fire/Rad and Water/something else 😄 You're giving me so many good options!

Of the sets you mentioned fire/kin water/cold and fire/dark are the stand outs. If you want to solo AVs I suggest water/cold, you get lots of -res from x2sleet+heat loss and a great -regen in benumb and you'll use water's dehydrate to keep yourself healed up. It will also give you lots of opportunities to support the team by increasing everyone's defense and lowering all enemies resistance.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Darkir said:

Of the sets you mentioned fire/kin water/cold and fire/dark are the stand outs. If you want to solo AVs I suggest water/cold, you get lots of -res from x2sleet+heat loss and a great -regen in benumb and you'll use water's dehydrate to keep yourself healed up. It will also give you lots of opportunities to support the team by increasing everyone's defense and lowering all enemies resistance.

Appreciate it man! You think Water/Cold has better synergy than, say, Water/Rad or Ice/Cold? I do think it’s cool that cold dom seems like a pretty low maintainence secondary. Drop sleet, Numb and heat loss than blast away.

Quick question: someone on Reddit said /dark had a -regen power as well, but I couldn’t see that. Do you know if that’s true?

2 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Appreciate it man! You think Water/Cold has better synergy than, say, Water/Rad or Ice/Cold? I do think it’s cool that cold dom seems like a pretty low maintainence secondary. Drop sleet, Numb and heat loss than blast away.

Quick question: someone on Reddit said /dark had a -regen power as well, but I couldn’t see that. Do you know if that’s true?

I also see you mentioned in another thread that you have a water/cold build. I can’t seem to find it though!

12 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

There are two...

Twilight Grasp offers a minimal amount of -regen and Howling Twilight offers a large amount.

• Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Darkir said:

Never mind, found it amigo!