Vanguard Sorcerer ToHit?

eknudson

I need to pick up a few merits so I decide to run some missions in the war zone on my SR/Ice tank. I'm on Gaussian so I take on a mission to rescue a negotiator. No problem at all until some Vanguard Sorcerers and Sword Sorcerers start to hurt me more than anything has in quite some time....

After a couple inspirations, I beat them and look at my combat log-- the sorcerers are running from 33 to 37% chance to hit on me. I have (just under) 60% melee, 58% ranged, and 58% AoE defense. They're using life drain and ball lightning mostly which according to Paragonwiki are ranged attacks.

What's going on here? Do Vanguard sorcerers use attacks with no vector?  All the other mobs had about 7% ToHit on me.

25% ToHit from Tactics... those are some nice tactics they have there.  Unexpected ouch from those guys... I have a little over 40% energy resistance but wasn't expecting to use it THAT much.

Thanks for checking!

(Maybe I'll go fight some more... this one is red side so she could use some debt badges for the accolades and I hate to just die intentionally)

Edited by eknudson

I just ran into this with my solo stalker the other day, one group of them actually even dropped me!  My stalker's like 35 right now and has only been dropped a few times at best before, this was unexpected.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Vanguard Sword as a group are *nasty*.

They do all sort of debuff (-def, -resist, -tohit, -end, -regen, -damage etc. etc.).

They hit like a truck in several different ways, and then there's the joy of [Curse of Weariness].

Treat them with the caution they deserve and don't expect to necessarily be able to faceroll them like other enemy types.

(If you find yourself afflicted with the Curse of Weariness, then your options are to wait it out for an indeterminate period of time, or go buy a Nectanebo's Curse Breaker from the Vanguard loot tables using VG merits.)

Edited by Li_Sensei
  • Sad 1

Most of the RWZ enemies are challenging.  The Vanguard Sword, Nemesis, some high end AVs.  Furthermore, unlike the DA missions, you don't get the benefit of being level 53, so if you play at +4x8 it can be some of the hardest content in the game.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

50 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Most of the RWZ enemies are challenging.  The Vanguard Sword, Nemesis, some high end AVs.  Furthermore, unlike the DA missions, you don't get the benefit of being level 53, so if you play at +4x8 it can be some of the hardest content in the game.

Vanguard are in Mr G's arc also, and so is a pretty rare group, the Awakened. Between the two of them, they make the arc probably even nastier than the Night Ward arc, other than some slightly easier AV fights. I kept going 🤬, what the heck do they have, until I figured out all of their ToHit buffs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coyote said:

Vanguard are in Mr G's arc also, and so is a pretty rare group, the Awakened. Between the two of them, they make the arc probably even nastier than the Night Ward arc, other than some slightly easier AV fights. I kept going 🤬, what the heck do they have, until I figured out all of their ToHit buffs.

This plus they're probable hitting you with -resist and -regen.  So they hit even harder after the first hit.  Essentially their soft cap is 75 instead of 45 factoring in their to hit buff(s).

Edit: Incarnate plus purple inspire, +30% worth of purple Inspires, Eye of Magus, hit that t9 +defense power (such as Elude) or a teammate with +defense shields etc..

Edit2:  😜 and pray you don't run into an Incarnate version ... fortunately non-existent right?!

Edited by Doomguide2005

10 hours ago, Li_Sensei said:

(If you find yourself afflicted with the Curse of Weariness, then your options are to wait it out for an indeterminate period of time, or go buy a Nectanebo's Curse Breaker from the Vanguard loot tables using VG merits.)

If you don't use the temp power to erase it, I believe Curse of Weariness is 10 minutes.  It's a temporary power when you get it so you can right-click it in the Powers window and get a time limit (in-game time, it doesn't go away if you just log out).

The fact that it's such a long debuff is why I personally highly advise my fellow redsiders to not run Mr. G's story arc until after 35 and after you have enough merits to get the Curse Breaker.  Vanguard bosses use the power there and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it if you're doing the arc as soon as you can.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.