This Tanker build is good...but could it be better?

Captain Citadel

16 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Infinitum is definitely your Invuln guru so you're in good hands. I confess I don't mind not having a ranged attack as well. Martial Arts (with the animations swapped to punches) would help a fair bit moving away from the clunkyness that is Rage, and the extra 10% defense from Storm Kick is just generous to reach defense caps.

But I can imagine how badly themed it would be for a themed character, even if we don't roleplay calling it martial arts (I mean, I RPed a magic character using radiation blast colored a brilliant white and calling it magic blasts).

My one try at Invuln ended up so good it could tackle the ITF without even a heal and just relying on natural regeneration, so after that, yeah, more damage.

I still prefer the Fire Armor approach since dead things are not trying to hurt me back and it is sturdy 'enough' despite being one of the squishiest sets but this is unrelated to a themed build.

Yeah, I wish it was less of a struggle to optimize themed builds. I have an Ice/Fire/Fire Dominator that doesn't use Jack Frost. The character is a wizard, but he prefers not to get involved in making deals with elementals or other mystical beings in exchange for their services. So he doesn't use pets. I had to figure out the least conspicuous Lore pet to get around that particular wrinkle. Apparently I'm leaving a ton of damage on the table by not taking Jack Frost though. If I wanted to use pets I'd play a Mastermind.

6 minutes ago, Captain Citadel said:

Yeah, I wish it was less of a struggle to optimize themed builds. I have an Ice/Fire/Fire Dominator that doesn't use Jack Frost. The character is a wizard, but he prefers not to get involved in making deals with elementals or other mystical beings in exchange for their services. So he doesn't use pets. I had to figure out the least conspicuous Lore pet to get around that particular wrinkle. Apparently I'm leaving a ton of damage on the table by not taking Jack Frost though. If I wanted to use pets I'd play a Mastermind.

The game is gentle enough to us that we can get away with playing even 'unoptimized' builds and still clear content. We can aim for softcaps and hardcaps, but it will be for fun. Most players don't min max and still go into a TF or a trial and walk out with a victory under their belt.

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

The game is gentle enough to us that we can get away with playing even 'unoptimized' builds and still clear content. We can aim for softcaps and hardcaps, but it will be for fun. Most players don't min max and still go into a TF or a trial and walk out with a victory under their belt.

That's true, but I had no idea how to build a character back on Live because I started playing this game when I was just a kid. Now that I have a general idea of what properly built characters are capable of, it's fun to try to get as close to that level as possible within the constraints of a concept build. Playing a Tanker that can just stroll into huge mosh pits of enemies and not die is awesome, I don't have to worry about memorizing boss mechanics or managing defensive cooldowns or anything like in other MMOs. Tanking in this game is fun because you actually feel super-powered.

4 hours ago, Captain Citadel said:

I don't necessarily need double Rage

Speaking of "need" when talking about a RIGHT shows a lack of understanding.  :classic_wink:

The other main problem is that chopping out the ranged powers kills your easiest avenue to shoring up your E/N Defense.

With flight, even at maximum Enhancement with an Agility, you're only getting 2.11% defense.
Even ignoring Winter-Os, the set bonuses from a 3/3 split of Obliteration and Cleaving Blow delivers more (4.38%, which is almost more than the maximum enhanced value of Hover by itself.)

I can play around some.

Just understand:
I just think you're seriously limiting your options and gimping your optimal performance.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Speaking of "need" when talking about a RIGHT shows a lack of understanding.  :classic_wink:

The other main problem is that chopping out the ranged powers kills your easiest avenue to shoring up your E/N Defense.

With flight, even at maximum Enhancement with an Agility, you're only getting 2.11% defense.
Even ignoring Winter-Os, the set bonuses from a 3/3 split of Obliteration and Cleaving Blow delivers more (4.38%, which is almost more than the maximum enhanced value of Hover by itself.)

I can play around some.

Just understand:
I just think you're seriously limiting your options and gimping your optimal performance.

I appreciate it. 😀 I know conceptual constraints are stupid and lame but unfortunately the only power that I think might work would be Toxic Dart, from Experimentation. Sort of a "hey, I brought along this stun gun to incapacitate people I shouldn't punch through a wall" thing.

7 hours ago, Captain Citadel said:

That's true, but I had no idea how to build a character back on Live because I started playing this game when I was just a kid. Now that I have a general idea of what properly built characters are capable of, it's fun to try to get as close to that level as possible within the constraints of a concept build. Playing a Tanker that can just stroll into huge mosh pits of enemies and not die is awesome, I don't have to worry about memorizing boss mechanics or managing defensive cooldowns or anything like in other MMOs. Tanking in this game is fun because you actually feel super-powered.

Truer words, my internet friend! I loathe playing melee in any other game. Guild Wars 2 and melee was attempted several times and ugh, boss does PbAoEs, there is a flood of CC happening, particles flying and covering the target so I can hardly see the tells to dodge. So in all other games I am resolutely playing ranged, period, no ifs and buts (butts).

But in CoH I wallow in being a meleer and jumping first into groups, taking the alpha, beating up the bad guys. The game lends itself super well to it without a need to dodge crap or manage defensive cooldowns. We can feel the simple aspect of it because of the underlaying idea that there is no trinity.

Anyway, I decided to take a stab at this. It did not conform to your request but you can easily change things to your taste:

- 40% to Smash, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Energy and Negative with one enemy in range. With four enemies in range you are softcapped which is when we need the extra defense. I personally would take Barrier since it is a permanent 5% defense boost. More importantly it covers your squishies as well. But since lacking in heals (not strictly necessary, I took this to the ITF on a Claws version and the romans did not hurt on +4 enough to heal, and could AFK in the seafood ambush atop the hill in the first mission) you can use Rebirth instead, or go for Ageless to shore your endurance (I would personally use Recovery Serums from the P2W vendor for that purpose. They are cheap and stack up to 50. Very discrete animation and FX so it is not glaring when used).

- Slightly overcappd in S/L resistance considering the extra Might of the Tanker procs that will happen as playing. With one stack already at 84% so just one more and hardcapped. Negative/Energy is a tad undercapped but nothing that will make you die. Between more tanker procs and maybe using Barrier for another 5% resistances you'll be at 90%.

- Did take Hasten. Remove it and use that slot for something else if you'd like (perhaps Taunt if you like it). Took several Force Feedback procs and again swap for damage procs if not wanting them.

- Air Superiority is not great damage but I wanted to pad your attacks a bit so you'd not be having gaps. Regardless I think it fits the theme with your super strong character flicking mobs up in the air and on their backs between Haymaker's chance for KD, Air Superiority's 100% chance for knock up and and KO Blow doing the same.

- I was a bit gratuitous with slotting. With Jab and Footstomp on one hand another 30% resistance to slows and recharge is good (80% total). On the other the stats are on the red and the IOs are expensive. Use if desired but it's a luxury. Same with the extra slots in Unyielding and Resist Physical Damage used for just 7% psi resist (I just had really nothing much to spend on). If wanting to keep Handclap those two slots can be used.

From my experience you'll be near indestructible with this setup.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Super Strength
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 1: Jab -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(7), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(7), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11)
Level 4: Haymaker -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(19), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 8: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 12: Resist Energies -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(27), Ags-ResDam(29), Ags-Psi/Status(29)
Level 14: Dull Pain -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal(33)
Level 16: Air Superiority -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(33), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(34), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(34), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(34), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(36)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), GssSynFr--Build%(37)
Level 20: Knockout Blow -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(39), UnbCns-Dam%(39)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Tough Hide -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(40), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50)
Level 28: Rage -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(43)
Level 30: Resist Elements -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Foot Stomp -- SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(48)
Level 41: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 47: Weave -- ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(48), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), ShlWal-Def(50)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(15), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(15), PrfShf-End%(17)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
------------

If you happen to play on Everlasting I can come with my tiny barbarian paladin of FIRE! and compare by smacking stuff together.

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1