IGN Interview with Two Former Cryptic Studios Developers

Apparition

IGN has a hour long interview up with Cold Iron Studios co-founders Craig Zinkievich and Matt Highison about Aliens: Fireteam, (a new co-op shooter video game they're working on).  However, they also discuss City of Heroes, the CoH rogue servers, and Cryptic's canceled Marvel MMOG.  It's definitely worth a watch, IMO.

https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/03/16/aliens-fireteam-devs-discuss-working-with-disney-star-trek-and-more-ign-unfiltered-55

You can also find it on Spotify here if you just want to listen to it.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

Well, they -do- learn!

. . . they just tend to learn the wrong things.

Edit:

The amount that they say about City of Heroes is pretty limited.

Around 10:35 the interviewer asks about City of Heroes in the context of XBox, to which the two Cryptic devs seem confused, eventually saying that Paragon Studio took over before anything related to XBox and City of Heroes happened.

A little later at 19:00 they talk about rabid fans versus broad appeal, and state that City of Heroes has -the- rabid fanbase, citing the bootleg servers as evidence of this.

And that's about it.  

I was honestly hoping to hear a little bit more on their feelings related to City of Heroes.  

They spoke at length about Star Trek.  Although, they also seemed to be talking as if this was an interview from ten years ago.  I suppose I'll be charitable and assume that was them mostly filtering for IGN (somewhat ironic, given the name of this IGN show is "Unfiltered").  I'd be interested in seeing what they'd say down at the pub instead, when the cameras aren't on and they're a few pints in.

Edited by TemporalVileTerror
Review of the interview video.
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Around 10:35 the interviewer asks about City of Heroes in the context of XBox, to which the two Cryptic devs seem confused, eventually saying that Paragon Studio took over before anything related to XBox and City of Heroes happened.

I think that section finally thrashed out that the interviewer had been thinking of the abortive Marvel Super Heroes MMO, which would have been on Xbox.

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I think that section finally thrashed out that the interviewer had been thinking of the abortive Marvel Super Heroes MMO, which would have been on Xbox.

Wait, are you talking about the one that was canceled and then turned in to Champions Online?