How many Respecs do you use to get the build just right?

FullEclipse

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

The only respecs I’ve done have been the result of power changes (Tankers, Trick Arrow). 

All of my builds are planned and crunched before a character ever hits level one.

I’m the same in terms of planning a build. 

Still respec plenty though. That first super-crunched obsessed over Mids build is always just the starting point for me. Never yet found a build I can’t improve with experience of actually playing the character. 

• Like 1

I want to amend my answer.

As many as it takes.

I am super impressed with everyone who is able to Mids out their build and stick with it.  I can't.  Most of my characters get played to 50, get a few incarnates, and get retired.  There are a few exceptions.  My "main" is a broadsword/invulnerability scrapper, which is not a terrible end-game build, but it's far from the best.  I strive to do absolutely everything I can with him, and I *constantly* find myself trying to squeeze out a little more performance.  Do I have enough accuracy?  Do I have too much accuracy?  When I run a TF solo (I'm on Faathim this week, and boy that's a great test!) are there powers I never use?  Do I have enough oh shit powers?  Do I have too many oh shit powers?  And so on.  And then I try a new incarnate power and it all starts again.  I've probably respecced at least 5 or 6 times and I am already planning out my next one.

Do NOT feel bad or inferior if you don't "get it right" the first time.  "Right" changes when you are low level, or medium level, or high level.  "Right" changes if you are zerging Council, or treading carefully with Rularuu, at +4/x8 or at -1/x1.  "Right" changes when you are solo versus on teams.  "Right" changes ALL THE FREAKING TIME!  So I, for one, am INCREDIBLY glad that respecs are so cheap and easy to get!

• Like 3

Who run Bartertown?

58 minutes ago, DrInfernus said:

Never yet found a build I can’t improve with experience of actually playing the character.

To be fair shortly after Homecoming came online I spent a lot of time testing mechanics and procs with a lot of powers, so I might have an unfair advantage. Adding to that the theory crafting process for me isn't just one build, but variations, rebuilds, sometimes I'll even end up with alt forms for different purposes/goals before I pick one I might play myself. Once a character hits the road I rarely find my expectations to have been wrong in how it plays from last build to end 50.

• Like 1

Normally I build in MiDs and slap that on.  If I find something i dislike or want to change I respec.  If I run the character a long time I sometimes alter things.  My main (a Dark/Dark) I have slowly evolved with a slight tweak every month or two requiring a respec.

My new Farmer....there is some work there lol.  I created a "standard build" and slapped that on last night (I just 50d him)  I will run that build to open up patron powers.  Once I open up patron pool and get Cardiac incarnate on him I will Respec.  Then I will run "Standard build v 2.0" through Accolade collecting and incarnating the character.  Then I will slap "Farmer build v 1.0" on him and see how i like that.  That may get tweaked in the future as well.

18 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

The only respecs I’ve done have been the result of power changes (Tankers, Trick Arrow). 

All of my builds are planned and crunched before a character ever hits level one.

This. Despite that, I have respecced every single character not already waiting at level one for Page Two.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward