Dark Pit

Metatheory

Alright defenders!

Dark Pit: cost 13 endurance. Effect 11 seconds stun (minions only). NO 'to-hit' debuff.

Aside from possibly pairing with another stun -  like Thunderclap or Repulsion Field - is there any reason to take this power? It seems hellishly expensive for very little reward.

Unless I am missing something in here it seems like one of the absolute worst powers for pretty much any AT.

I wouldn't say horrifically bad. Just really really not great.

You need a second stun source to hit Lt's and above, it's got high-ish endurance. It's default Accuracy is just awful. The duration needs a lot of help.

But if you get past all that, then you can 6 slot the power with ... and combo this with Tents to... um

No, no... Horrific is the right way of saying it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I actually like it okay on my kin/dark.

Leaving aside the possibility to slot purples which rules it out for leveling purposes... please tell us a little bit about how you use it.

It's not my intention to just take a cheap-shot at a weak power - life is too short. I have been trying to use the power for real in game but I just can't seem to find any utility in it (I had overlooked the fact that the accuracy is indeed really poor). There is a respec coming in a few levels and it looks like Dark Pit will probably have to go then. 

Edited by Metatheory
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Metatheory said:

Leaving aside the possibility to slot purples which rules it out for leveling purposes... please tell us a little bit about how you use it.

It's not my intention to just take a cheap-shot at a weak power - life is too short. I have been trying to use the power for real in game but I just can't seem to find any utility in it (I had overlooked the fact that the accuracy is indeed really poor). There is a respec coming in a few levels and it looks like Dark Pit will probably have to go then. 

Only thing I would use it for would be with Oppressive Gloom toggled on when im taking alpha. I only take OG when I know I can take alpha and use my Defender procs to make up for the hp loss then pop off a soul drain in the middle of everything. This would be my combo while OG is on. Jump to the boss in the group,  Fold Space - Dark Pit - Soul drain - AOE/Cone attacks. Or maybe herd the mob around a corner if you don't have Fold Space. Other then that I look at it as a skip able power still

Edited by Dahkness

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

I'm incarnating my therm/dark right now.

Going to take pyronic - was initially planning Radial to stack stuns with dark pit. Mobs do seem to be melting a bit quickly for that to make a difference, would it make more sense to just go for Core for the damage?

Dark pit has felt very underwhelming 😅

Edited by SeanAF

22 hours ago, Metatheory said:

Alright defenders!

Dark Pit: cost 13 endurance. Effect 11 seconds stun (minions only). NO 'to-hit' debuff.

Aside from possibly pairing with another stun -  like Thunderclap or Repulsion Field - is there any reason to take this power? It seems hellishly expensive for very little reward.

Unless I am missing something in here it seems like one of the absolute worst powers for pretty much any AT.

I have been fighting over that power for YEARS.  YEARS.

As far as I know, no slotting of any kind will make Dark Pit not terrible.  I get they want to follow aoe control ability rules, but the one I would change is the accuracy, to make an exception to the rule just so this power isn't one of the worst out there.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

17 hours ago, Dahkness said:

Only thing I would use it for would be with Oppressive Gloom toggled on when im taking alpha. I only take OG when I know I can take alpha and use my Defender procs to make up for the hp loss then pop off a soul drain in the middle of everything. This would be my combo while OG is on. Jump to the boss in the group,  Fold Space - Dark Pit - Soul drain - AOE/Cone attacks. Or maybe herd the mob around a corner if you don't have Fold Space. Other then that I look at it as a skip able power still

Thanks for the feedback. Now, I am considering taking OG so maybe Dark Pit could be a level 47/49 pick...

Question (to all): if this power also carried a -9,38% to-hit debuff like every other power in Dark Blast (bar Blackstar which has a whopping -62,5%!), would it become interesting-ish?

I think I would take it with the debuff.

OK so late to the party but here's my take :

Stun is so-so but can be useful to make alpha suck less. I slot with stupefy, which not only gives me that sweet ranged defense (don't @ me)  but also adds kb. The bonus to duration means that anything you stun is out for the fight. The kb is reasonably effective in my experience, and can scoot a mob back, while also mitigating damage. This can save you if overwhelmed (or your overly zealous stalker teammate).

It's situational for sure, but it's useful in a clutch. Plus the kb added pretty much makes torrent redundant (unless you want a third cone attack for some reason).

As for your question, this set has so much -tohit that it would be redundant. I start almost every fight with blackstar, which basically floors tohit anyway. If you really want to tweak it, maybe try a low duration fear, or a -recharge.

• Thanks 1

You've never said but guessing you don't have a Stun power in your primary.  The power is a bit substandard but some of the issues are overstated.  Yes the base accuracy sucks but 0.8 is long way from horribly problematic except maybe at lower levels or if your defender is using neither Kismet +6% or Tactics in the build nor has any global accuracy from sets and is trying to solo higher difficulties.  And in normal content that means most of the mob is likely stunned as most are going to be minions.  

My Emp/Dark took it and used I'd it.  Dark Pit->Tenebrous Tentacles->Nightfall for AoE.  She did have OG as well later to stack stuns.

In short while it is easily skipped it's also not total trash by a long shot.  Time Bomb is much worse 🤪.

• Like 1

There are some uses for it legitimately but it will take quite a bit to make it really useful with the Acc it has.

I could imagine making a nature/dark/psi char that leads off with Torrent, Tents, Dark Pit to get rid of half your alpha strike as you then run in to Blackstar with a fully proc'd out Entangling Aura, WoC auras to clean up the rest.

With Overgrowth running and Wild Growth and Wild Bastion you could be pretty safe going in and very nicely clean out large groups.

That actually sounds like fun.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, Metatheory said:

please tell us a little bit about how you use it.

Typically just prior to Fulcrum Shift - just a quick poomp to mez out the minions and diminish alpha. I used to run oppressive gloom and stack it for full lockdown, but am a bit too mobile managing /dark cones for this to be worthwhile, so dropped OG.

I do think it could use a little something for sure, but there are definitely worse stuns out there. If you have a reasonable source of stacking, it does the trick, and mitigating minion level damage is not worthless given the cooldown and fast animation.

I'm actually pretty okay with it only being a minion only mez. Maybe an accuracy increase, and/or increased slotting opportunities (add some damage, maybe tohit debuff) - this would both give it a bit of extra up-front utility on non-minions, and give you a chance to proc it out if so desired.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1

Okay I don't have access at this point to the original City of Data but unless the accuracy has been buffed already or CoD is wrong currently CoD v2.0 lists it at 0.8.  That's the same as numerous other powers in game none of which have a reputation for bad accuracy like Dark Pit does.  Powers like Stalagmites, Heart of Darkness, Paralyzing Blast, Flash Fire among them.  So yes the accuracy is less than 1.0 and maybe it could be buffed but that doesn't seem to be a truly significant issue with Dark Pit in itself.  

Edit: As in I regularly nail +4 mobs with Stalagmites and never see this 'horrendous' issue with missing.  Late and endgame builds by and large are built with heapings of extra accuracy.

Edited by Doomguide2005

8 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Okay I don't have access at this point to the original City of Data but unless the accuracy has been buffed already or CoD is wrong currently CoD v2.0 lists it at 0.8.  That's the same as numerous other powers in game none of which have a reputation for bad accuracy like Dark Pit does.  Powers like Stalagmites, Heart of Darkness, Paralyzing Blast, Flash Fire among them.  So yes the accuracy is less than 1.0 and maybe it could be buffed but that doesn't seem to be a truly significant issue with Dark Pit in itself.  

Edit: As in I regularly nail +4 mobs with Stalagmites and never see this 'horrendous' issue with missing.  Late and endgame builds by and large are built with heapings of extra accuracy.

Nope, it's the low mez value (minions only) and, since you're a Defender not a Controller / Domi, meh Duration. Those are the two killers for me. 

It's rare that your char won't have better options to plonk 4/5 slots into. 

Edit: I'd strongly support giving it some -ToHit along with options to slot it with -ToHit/AccToHit sets and maybe giving it an additional 4/5 second Mag 1 mez, so you can briefly disable Lieuts with it, giving it more use as an alpha absorber. 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Nope, it's the low mez value (minions only) and, since you're a Defender not a Controller / Domi, meh Duration. Those are the two killers for me. 

It's rare that your char won't have better options to plonk 4/5 slots into. 

Edit: I'd strongly support giving it some -ToHit along with options to slot it with -ToHit/AccToHit sets and maybe giving it an additional 4/5 second Mag 1 mez, so you can briefly disable Lieuts with it, giving it more use as an alpha absorber. 

Now this I agree with, they are solid reasons to think the power needs some love.  In particular adding some slotting choices and extending the effect to include -to hit

26 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Now this I agree with, they are solid reasons to think the power needs some love.  In particular adding some slotting choices and extending the effect to include -to hit

Yep. As per your examples : Powers like Stalagmites, Heart of Darkness, Paralyzing Blast, Flash Fire 

All of these have good Mag (will mez Minions and Lieuts out of the box and have at least a chance to do the same to bosses thanks to Controller / Domi inherents) and better duration thanks to AT modifiers. I don't think Dark Pit should match those (because they are Control primaries) so instead it should lean into Defender / Corruptor strengths instead and do some extra debuff. -ToHit is the obvious one given the rest of the set. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 4:25 AM, Carnifax said:

since you're a Defender not a Controller / Domi, meh Duration.

Eh, Defenders and Dominators have the same modifiers for mez durations pretty much across the board. Corruptors are the ones penalized there.

Dominators only control better than Defenders because they have control sets for their primary (and those powers have extra effects specifically for when Domination is active).