Possible tweak to Corruptors?

Marbing

33 minutes ago, th0ughtGun said:

I guess everyone agrees this is simply a proc problem. Maybe it is. It is clear however that no one likes the idea I presented, haha. That is fine, I figured it was a reach. Well I guess we will see what happens when procs are “rebalanced”.

Peace out y’all. Thank you all for the feedback!

I would say less "don't like" and more "the bigger issue needs to be addressed and given time to be evaluated before we can really focus on it"

Overall I feel like it is rare for either Corruptor or Defender to feel like they aren't contributing or wanted, which is not something that can be said for all ATs right now, even if on expensive builds there's an imbalance. I get your issue and would like it tweaked too though. 

• Like 1

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

On 6/27/2021 at 8:54 AM, GraspingVileTerror said:

I almost wonder if the problem isn't actually Corruptors, but it's that damned patchy implementation of Vigilance on Defenders.

Ship has sailed, and all that, but Vigilance has always had the shakiest implementation of any of the Blueside Inherents, as far as I'm concerned.  Even more-so than Desperation, when that was a thing.  But I absolutely acknowledge the difficulty in changing what was meant to be a team-only Archetype in to one which could effectively solo even for new or casual players.

Maybe the ATOs could also use some work.  None of the four ATO Procs for Defenders or Corruptors really scream "this is my identity" to me.  I mean, Scourging Blast and is a Defender's Bastion with some of the Heal swapped for Endurance, and the PPM dropped down.  Vigilant Assault is just that, but with Absorb instead of Heal.  And Malice of the Corruptor is just a super basic Negative Energy Damage Proc.

Maybe that's the place to refine things a little.  Malice of the Corruptor especially.
What interesting things could we supplement that NegDam Proc with?  

Cottage/Skyscraper rule be damned. If they are willing I would be fine with a TOTAL and complete revamp of Vigilance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

Cottage/Skyscraper rule be damned. If they are willing I would be fine with a TOTAL and complete revamp of Vigilance.

I agree. At least theoretically, the role of a Defender was to support their team, keeping them alive; an inherent that gives them an Endurance discount when they're failing at their job seems horribly backwards -- with a well-played Defender, they would rarely if ever get any benefit from their inherent. All the other ATs have inherents that they can take advantage of during 'average' play; only Defenders have an inherent that doesn't help them unless things fall in the pot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have seen plenty of people stating that Corruptors are almost always superior because "at high levels everyone has capped defense and damage so you should choose the AT that does more damage themselves".

Now, I don't think that's true at all, but I definitely think the debate over which AT is better is as unsettled as any.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Corruptors definitely could use a look....

I envision since they are called Corruptors wouldn't it be cool if they actually corrupted their targets? To facilitate this what if we leave the buff/debuff values where they are but rework scourge a bit....

What if...

Scourge now corrupts targets so when they are damaged to <50% HP the target gains an effect that essentially poisons the target so they take a constant DoT until they either die, or are healed to 50% or more. Additionally when a target gets to 50% HP the Corruptor has a 50% chance to deal an extra 33% damage, when the target gets to 25% HP the Corruptor has a 50% chance to deal an extra 50% damage to the target.

This helps give Corruptors a more carved niche slot, which is extremely useful for mobs that run away at low health.

This also helps distance Corruptors from Defenders and focuses them more on finishing a mob off as opposed to the big buff/debuff of a Defender which I think is in line with what the original dev team envisioned for Corruptors when they designed Scourge.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

The balance you seek does not exist. 

In a sense, this game has too many ATs. 

Corruptors are still relevant. Even if only thematically.  

Procs are the problem.

Nerf procs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Vooded said:

The balance you seek does not exist. 

In a sense, this game has too many ATs. 

Corruptors are still relevant. Even if only thematically.  

Procs are the problem.

Nerf procs. 

Could we maybe just choose procs over balance tho? 🙂 People will make several of every AT eventually anyway.

29 minutes ago, arcane said:

Could we maybe just choose procs over balance tho? 🙂 People will make several of every AT eventually anyway.

My opinion: no. I am but one voice though.

I don't envy our current development team. They are basically in the position of screwing over thousands of character builds, or saying "fuck it, let's just accept a totally unbalanced game and make the best of it." 

While the latter option may seem appealing, the possibility of adding meaningful new content (ie something to challenge incarnates), is likely very difficult without a solid base. 

By analogy: how high do you think you can build the leaning tower of Pisa before it topples?

Better to fix the foundation now, imo. 

But it depends on their ambitions.

And resources (the most important resource being: DEVELOPER TIME). 

Given the pandemic, the Talks/NDA (with associated recruitment limitations), I suspect we are slipping into "fuck it" territory. 

But they have surprised me before!