Possible tweak to Corruptors?

Marbing

So I would like to have feedback on this idea. I certainly could be overlooking something and if so let me know. Most people I have spoken to seem to agree that Defender > Corruptor overall. Again this may not be true entirely, but it feels like the general consensus in my experience. *(I know my one experience is not the be all end all of experience)

Anyways, Corruptors seem to have a role problem. Where exactly do they fit? Defenders are better at support and can match them and in a lot of cases surpass them in damage output. This isn't saying Corruptors are useless, not at all. It is simply that it seems they serve a very niche role. Keep in mind this is coming from a person who has played both Corruptors and Defenders EXTENSIVELY since the beginning of Corruptors.

So, I had this idea based purely on the name of the AT: Corruptor. Corruptor says to me, really strong de-buffs, aka corrupting a target or targets. I am not saying they should have stronger de-buffs than a Defender. But, I would suggest that (for de-buffs only) they should be equal. This gives a clearer edge to Corruptors in damage output as well as gives them a better place among team play, and also helps distinguish them further from Controllers and Masterminds in terms of their support abilities. To be clear, their buffs would remain the same as they are now (which is weaker than a Defender) but their de-buffs would be brought to the same level as a Defender. 

Again, I could be missing something and this could throw things out of whack. If that is the case please point that out. Otherwise, I think this could be a good change that would be just enough of a nudge to give Corruptors more of a clearly defined role. Also it is possible that this suggestion isn't even possible. I would like to know.  Or maybe this suggestion just isn't the right fit? If so, what other things do you think could be done to more clearly define the Corruptor and give the AT just a little bit of love? Does it need any adjustments at all? 

Look forward to hearing some constructive feedback! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

Why would anyone play a defender with a debuff set if corruptors do it just as well with better damage? I think they’re just fine as is. You can play either AT depending on if you want more damage vs more support.

• Thumbs Up 4

It is a thematic fit but it wouldn't benefit all powersets equally. Forcefields and empathy don't need any more reasons to not get picked... I am in the camp that thinks corruptors could do with something but I'm not sure this is it.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Parabola said:

It is a thematic fit but it wouldn't benefit all powersets equally. Forcefields and empathy don't need any more reasons to not get picked... I am in the camp that thinks corruptors could do with something but I'm not sure this is it.

Ironically, Force Field is better on Corruptors than Defenders due to higher magnitude mez protection.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, TheZag said:

I would like to see scourge hit at higher hp or more often.  Seems just as scourge gets going,  the mobs are dead.

I typically make my ice/ and fire/ toons corruptors more often than not because rains seem like the main exception to scourge only showing up often as kill shots.

That said, I don’t really see corruptors needing a damage buff.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

I typically make my ice/ and fire/ toons corruptors more often than not because rains seem like the main exception to scourge only showing up often as kill shots.

That said, I don’t really see corruptors needing a damage buff.

Corruptors suffer the same issue Brutes do.  Why play a Corruptor when you can build a Defender with better buffs, better debuffs, better defenses, and then load them up with damage procs to do even more damage than Corruptors?

You either need to nerf damage procs hard (preferable), or give Corruptors an advantage over Defenders.  Now whether that should be better debuffs, better damage, or something else is up for debate.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Corruptors suffer the same issue Brutes do.  Why play a Corruptor when you can build a Defender with better buffs, better debuffs, better defenses, and then load them up with damage procs to do even more damage than Corruptors?

You either need to nerf damage procs hard (preferable), or give Corruptors an advantage over Defenders.  Now whether that should be better debuffs, better damage, or something else is up for debate.

Eh, I’m not positive it’s the same issue because it’s been demonstrated that Brutes still do more damage, just not as much more as the mitigation gap implies. I don’t know that such in depth testing has been done for corruptors vs defenders. It feels pretty clear to me that corruptor damage comes out on top, but I couldn’t speak to the margin over defenders.

The tanker issue is also a little different because, unlike defenders vs corruptors, you’d rarely slot tanker armors like you would for a brute. You get tons of slotting freedom on tankers because you hit caps way sooner. This is kind of the case for my Time/Water vs my Fire/Time, but not so much the case for any others.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

I suppose i should clarify my previous comment.  I dont really want a damage buff for corruptors.  I want to see scourge more.  Give scourge half its current damage and make it happen twice as often.  Or an arcane bolt treatment where your next single target corruptor ability will scourge a target above 50% and add some debuff instead if they are below 50%.  

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, arcane said:

Eh, I’m not positive it’s the same issue because it’s been demonstrated that Brutes still do more damage, just not as much more as the mitigation gap implies. I don’t know that such in depth testing has been done for corruptors vs defenders. It feels pretty clear to me that corruptor damage comes out on top, but I couldn’t speak to the margin over defenders.

The tanker issue is also a little different because, unlike defenders vs corruptors, you’d rarely slot tanker armors like you would for a brute. You get tons of slotting freedom on tankers because you hit caps way sooner. This is kind of the case for my Time/Water vs my Fire/Time, but not so much the case for any others.

Doing some testing and seeing pylon results have swayed my opinion on this. Defenders definitely can and often do out damage Corruptors and maintain better survival. The issue is the damage from Scourge is inconsistent and often overkill compared with Vigilance's 30% flat damage buff, coupled with Defenders having significantly better de-buffs. When you add those together with more slot freedom to load in the procs on a Defender, then its even more of a problem that makes Corruptors less and less relevant the later you get in levels and the more influence you have to build them out. 

The change I have suggested would take care of one of the issues and fits thematically, without simply giving Corruptors a flat damage boost. I think it would really help the higher base damage and Scourge on a Corruptor shine over a Defender without making a Defender irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Parabola said:

The problems with those sets getting picked over others doesn't get solved with nearly anything you could reasonably do to give Corruptors a boost. You don't want Corruptors out buffing Defenders, that wouldn't make sense thematically nor conceptually. The buff sets will always be better on a Defender. If your main intention is to play Empathy over doing damage then you should be creating a Empathy Defender anyways. If you only want Empathy thematically but like the idea of Scourge then you can create a Corruptor, knowing you won't be as effective as a Defender. As it stands right now it isn't unrealistic for an Empathy Defender to out damage an Empathy Corruptor and have better heals/buffs (depending on the ranged set they chose). My change wouldn't change this. 

However, you do raise a good point in that it may make that gap (for the purely buff sets specifically) more obvious and glaring. But, maybe that's okay? People say Sonic Blast pretty much sucks on everything except a Defender, for example, as is. While I am of the camp that Sonic Blast should be made better, the problem is that anything done to make the set better would further emphasize that Sonic Blast is superior on a Defender, because it would inevitably apply to them as well. It is an interesting conundrum. EDIT: Now that I have pointed out Sonic Blast it made me realize something. My recommended change would make Sonic Blast more viable on a Corruptor. Food for thought.

Edited by th0ughtGun

Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

Reason I Pick Defenders over Corrs for me is that I can get the best minmaxing  for my defense powers  that saves me slots for offensive powers.

I’d like to see the inherit power change like defenders. More people dmg’d on you’re team the more dmg scourge does. Something to reflect it’s counter part being able to cut on slots for dmg cause of all the extra def they can get

• Thumbs Up 1

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

You guys are probably right. There’s probably a reason I have like 16 level 50 defenders vs like 5 level 50 corruptors (similarly have about 3-4 non-/fire brutes vs 8 tankers). And some of those defenders feel like they do mini-blaster damage, like my rad/rad with nothing but proc bombs.

• Thumbs Up 1

For Defense:

Defender obviously has better group support and general tankiness (the support archetype is the primary -- obvious).  But ALSO -- power pool stuff are bigger numbers too (includes tough, weave, combat jumping, leadership buffs, etc.) and it adds up -- this makes defender feel much tankier as a baseline. 

For Offense:

The damage output will feel "similar" solo for most blasting sets, as vigilance passive will offset the lower base damage defender has in the blasting trees.  ultimately however, the scourge procs will keep corruptor ahead.. even solo.  The scourge procs are a bit undervalued IMO... typically you are dumping AoE and killing off minions/LTs which now leaves bosses in scourge range.  That aside, the main difference for damage purposes is that defender is capped at +400% damage, but corrupter is capped at +500% damage.  You might not think this matters much but it is incredibly easy to damage cap a kinetics defender, for example.... or if you are playing with a kinetics powerset, corruptor gets that leeway to bump up their damage much higher... ontop of the already higher base damage.

i think corruptors are fine as is.  if you HAD to buff corruptor somehow, i would look at giving them defender numbers on power pools.  leadership example -- maneuvers for defender is 3.5% base and for corruptor is 2.63% base.

**also a bigger 'problem' being brought up in here are IO damage procs.  while it is part of the corruptor vs defender topic, it effects the entirety of the game... not just corruptor and defender.  incidentally i believe that is the focus of the next round of balance changes..

Edited by Sancerre
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with many other posters here that the solution to a Corruptor’s uncomfortable place in the AT balance is likely more to be tinkering with Scourge than with their support secondaries. I’d advocate for a pair of things - giving all corruptor nukes and snipes a good chance to Scourge at full health, and letting Aim increase their chance to Scourge for a time. The change to nukes in particular will help all corruptors across the board, and should give corruptors an edge on high performing level 50 teams where all gameplay turns into chaining judgments and nukes from group to group until everything’s dead. It should improve the general playfeel of the AT, too, which is my personal priority. No one likes that using a nuke or a slow snipe on a solo corruptor on an enemy group at full health feels like it does less damage than a defender. These ideas may benefit some sets more than others - for example, sets without snipes or an aim equivalent will not benefit as much, like water blast or psy blast - but I think it’s okay if there’s pros and cons to playing them across different ATs, as long as there’s pros and cons worth having a conversation about. 

Edited by Katharos
  • Thumbs Up 2
26 minutes ago, Katharos said:
29 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:
On 3/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, Katharos said:

why isn't sentinel bioarmour's athletic regulation getting a look?

Oversight, it will be addressed in the next build.

Oh no. Oh god. What have I done? 

4 hours ago, th0ughtGun said:

Anyways, Corruptors seem to have a role problem. Where exactly do they fit? Defenders are better at support and can match them and in a lot of cases surpass them in damage output. This isn't saying Corruptors are useless, not at all. It is simply that it seems they serve a very niche role. Keep in mind this is coming from a person who has played both Corruptors and Defenders EXTENSIVELY since the beginning of Corruptors.

Just feedback on this bit.

My decision on if a character's a corruptor or a defender rests on one thing - which do I want to focus on?

Do I feel I'll need my de/buffs first, or do I want the attacks (and scourge) first?

That's all the role difference I need, honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, Sancerre said:

i think corruptors are fine as is.  if you HAD to buff corruptor somehow, i would look at giving them defender numbers on power pools. 

What about giving their debuffs the same Scourge effect they get for damage? For most of a fight, it's not going to have any effect, and in teams mobs go down so quickly that there's little time for it to make much difference. You'd really only see it fighting the 'sack of HP' mobs like AVs and GMs that stay in the Scourge range longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

What about giving their debuffs the same Scourge effect they get for damage? For most of a fight, it's not going to have any effect, and in teams mobs go down so quickly that there's little time for it to make much difference. You'd really only see it fighting the 'sack of HP' mobs like AVs and GMs that stay in the Scourge range longer.

the complaint here is that corruptors feel like they do the same damage as defenders, but have less utility/defense.  my view is that corruptors do, in fact, do more damage and _if anything_ the move would be to shore up some of their defenses via pool powers because they are generally less effective than powersets.  i do feel like the separation of support/utility/defense VS offense needs to be maintained.  i dont personally feel like corruptors need a buff though.  if you buff corruptor... then doesnt defender become 'pointless'?  just reversing the 'problem'.

There seems to be a tendency in this thread here to get stuck on the wordage of 'corruptor' and the 'scourge' inherent... and what that COULD represent.  so here is a copy-paste of the developer's intention:

Corruptors twist the forces of the universe to do their bidding. As a Corruptor, you might strike your foes down with blasts of fire, entomb them in ice, infect them with radiation, or curse them with pure darkness. As your foes are weakened, your Scourge ability kicks in, increasing your damage to an enemy as their hit points drop. You can even impart a portion of your twisted power to your allies to protect them from harm, heal them, or increase the damage they deal. This wide array of abilities comes at a price. Your defenses aren't strong, and you can quickly attract the ire of your enemies if you aren't careful.

you can interpret the 'corruptor' and 'scourge' any way you want, but the narrative written by the developer fits the bill.  something else to consider is that the defender powersets are _intended_ to be supportive sets played with a team.  if you play with a team, defender loses vigilance damage buff.

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

Just feedback on this bit.

My decision on if a character's a corruptor or a defender rests on one thing - which do I want to focus on?

Do I feel I'll need my de/buffs first, or do I want the attacks (and scourge) first?

That's all the role difference I need, honestly.

this sums it up well.  some defender powersets accomplish 'enough' even as a secondary and you can opt for the higher damage output of a corruptor.

Edited by Sancerre
  • Thumbs Up 2

My take is that the shared powersets are too similar with them basically being identical and resulting in too much overlap. This was fine when the red/blue didn't cross but now it is prevalent. My recommendation is that the sets should be modified for corruptions. Keep about half the powers the same and then revamp the other half to change the focus. Maybe go with debuffs, or slap in some melee attacks from the blaster sets to go more damage less buff, but go with something that isn't a basic 1 for 1 copy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sancerre said:

the complaint here is that corruptors feel like they do the same damage as defenders, but have less utility/defense.  my view is that corruptors do, in fact, do more damage and _if anything_ the move would be to shore up some of their defenses via pool powers because they are generally less effective than powersets.  i do feel like the separation of support/utility/defense VS offense needs to be maintained.  i dont personally feel like corruptors need a buff though.  if you buff corruptor... then doesnt defender become 'pointless'?  just reversing the 'problem'.

First: No, my suggestion wouldn't make Defenders pointless. They would still be the superior support AT in terms of their support powers overall and to be clear they should be, it is their primary ability. 

Second: Corruptors do not, in fact, do more damage than a Defender. Even in a team environment. With most builds a Defender has more flexibility (because of their survivability) to slap in LOADS of procs that help them match / pass Corruptors damage output. Remember their BASE damage isn't much lower than a Corruptors and Procs hit more consistently than scourge does. If you want to load the same amount of procs on a Corruptor you are sacrificing something that the Defender doesn't have to sacrifice and that is usually survivability. There are plenty of people who have tested this and confirmed that at high level content, with incarnates and IO's, a Defender can easily surpass a Corruptor. Thus making the Corruptor nearly pointless later in the game. If a team is in need of a support toon, what reason would they take a Corruptor over a Defender? This wasn't an issue when there was a clear red/blue line. Because Corruptors were what you got on red side for support, they served a purpose. Now, they simply get left behind. As I said in my OP, Corruptors do have niche use. In lower level content they DO get their powers sooner, so the argument keeps being made that blah blah they get their powers sooner and so at mid-level content they are great. And, that is true. But that is a very niche use and lets be honest it doesn't put them leaps and bounds ahead of Defenders at mid-level content either, it just means they get their harder hitting attacks sooner where as a Defender gets their more potent buffs/de-buffs sooner. 

Third: Think about it like this. If you want to add a support toon on your team you have a choice between Controller, Defender, Corruptor, and Mastermind. You have a reason to pick Controller over Defender because they bring something different to the table, control. You have a reason to pick a Mastermind over a Defender because they bring a different kind of versatility in the form of pets (which can do some massive damage and cause tons of chaos!). Right now there isn't much of a reason to pick a Corruptor over a Defender. They both do the same thing but the Defender just overall does it better. That is the problem that needs to be solved. You can say more damage more damage more damage all day but the fact is that just isn't true in most cases, especially late game, and when it is true... it's far too often negligible. Don't get me wrong, Scourge is a fun mechanic, but it often results in massive overkill instead of pure DPS. My suggestion would level the playing field just a bit by giving Corruptors a thematically appropriate edge over a Defender in more situations than currently exist without completely eliminating the need for a Defender.

I do like some of the others suggestions on this thread and appreciate all the feedback! Giving them equivalent power pool effects is also a great idea, as it would help give their builds similar flexibility to a Defender.

Changing the Scourge mechanic I have also considered. Something like a CRITICAL de-buff or maybe the de-buffs get stronger the lower health the target has! That would be a cool idea...

Edited by th0ughtGun

A thought.

What if there was a Second Stage of Scourge?

Something like at 15% or lower HP, there's an increasing chance of Triple Damage?  Or, dare to dream, Quadruple Damage?

Naturally, that doesn't do anything to help with the AoE DPA meta we live in right now, but it would double-down on the Corruptor's identity as the "Finisher" for targets with large HP pools.
Probably not the solution folks are looking for, but I thought I would throw it in to the ring for consideration while we're here.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, th0ughtGun said:

First: No, my suggestion wouldn't make Defenders pointless. They would still be the superior support AT in terms of their support powers overall and to be clear they should be, it is their primary ability. 

Second: Corruptors do not, in fact, do more damage than a Defender. Even in a team environment. With most builds a Defender has more flexibility (because of their survivability) to slap in LOADS of procs that help them match / pass Corruptors damage output. Remember their BASE damage isn't much lower than a Corruptors and Procs hit more consistently than scourge does. If you want to load the same amount of procs on a Corruptor you are sacrificing something that the Defender doesn't have to sacrifice and that is usually survivability. There are plenty of people who have tested this and confirmed that at high level content, with incarnates and IO's, a Defender can easily surpass a Corruptor. Thus making the Corruptor nearly pointless later in the game. If a team is in need of a support toon, what reason would they take a Corruptor over a Defender? This wasn't an issue when there was a clear red/blue line. Because Corruptors were what you got on red side for support, they served a purpose. Now, they simply get left behind. As I said in my OP, Corruptors do have niche use. In lower level content they DO get their powers sooner, so the argument keeps being made that blah blah they get their powers sooner and so at mid-level content they are great. And, that is true. But that is a very niche use and lets be honest it doesn't put them leaps and bounds ahead of Defenders at mid-level content either, it just means they get their harder hitting attacks sooner where as a Defender gets their more potent buffs/de-buffs sooner. 

Third: Think about it like this. If you want to add a support toon on your team you have a choice between Controller, Defender, Corruptor, and Mastermind. You have a reason to pick Controller over Defender because they bring something different to the table, control. You have a reason to pick a Mastermind over a Defender because they bring a different kind of versatility in the form of pets (which can do some massive damage and cause tons of chaos!). Right now there isn't much of a reason to pick a Corruptor over a Defender. They both do the same thing but the Defender just overall does it better. That is the problem that needs to be solved. You can say more damage more damage more damage all day but the fact is that just isn't true in most cases, especially late game, and when it is true... it's far too often negligible. Don't get me wrong, Scourge is a fun mechanic, but it often results in massive overkill instead of pure DPS. My suggestion would level the playing field just a bit by giving Corruptors a thematically appropriate edge over a Defender in more situations than currently exist without completely eliminating the need for a Defender.

I do like some of the others suggestions on this thread and appreciate all the feedback! Giving them equivalent power pool effects is also a great idea, as it would help give their builds similar flexibility to a Defender.

Changing the Scourge mechanic I have also considered. Something like a CRITICAL de-buff or maybe the de-buffs get stronger the lower health the target has! That would be a cool idea...

this is very much the same discussion that happens between tankers/brutes or scrappers/stalkers.  one of them is always going to be considered _OBJECTIVELY_ less valuable than the other because they perform the same role with the same powersets and numbers are numbers.  i personally see a lot of value in base damage, damage cap top end, and also the scourge crits.  as i noted previously, this is especially apparent on a kinetics toon.  kinetics defender will overcap damage very easily.  i can agree that damage proc IOs are probably overtuned, but again this is not the thread for that -- if damage proc IOs are ruining your immersion of a corruptor doing more damage than a defender, then make a different topic for damage proc IOs.  if the base damage is the problem here, then why are we suggesting convoluted solutions surrounding the scourge inherent (that you very clearly is just a '4fun mechanic')?  just ask for 10% more (or whatever number you think is appropriate) base damage to corruptor powersets.

any 'thematic' edge based around the scourge inherent is going to be less reliable than defender every time.  if you think scourge damage is currently terrible cause stuff dies too fast anyways, then 'critical debuffs' will have the same exact problem.

ultimately i think the reality is that corruptors and defenders both are generally insanely strong in a team environment and nobody should be turning down either in a party.  never once has anybody turned down my corruptor and said 'sorry we need a defender instead'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

A thought.

What if there was a Second Stage of Scourge?

Something like at 15% or lower HP, there's an increasing chance of Triple Damage?  Or, dare to dream, Quadruple Damage?

Naturally, that doesn't do anything to help with the AoE DPA meta we live in right now, but it would double-down on the Corruptor's identity as the "Finisher" for targets with large HP pools.
Probably not the solution folks are looking for, but I thought I would throw it in to the ring for consideration while we're here.

Or maybe Scourge is changed in that it always has a chance to go off but the bonus damage starts out small (something like 10%) and increases to something larger as the target gets lower in health up to 100% bonus damage? I think that would smooth the curve a bit and definitely make Scourge more useful early on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sancerre said:

this is very much the same discussion that happens between tankers/brutes or scrappers/stalkers.  one of them is always going to be considered _OBJECTIVELY_ less valuable than the other because they perform the same role with the same powersets and numbers are numbers.  i personally see a lot of value in base damage, damage cap top end, and also the scourge crits.  as i noted previously, this is especially apparent on a kinetics toon.  kinetics defender will overcap damage very easily.  i can agree that damage proc IOs are probably overtuned, but again this is not the thread for that -- if damage proc IOs are ruining your immersion of a corruptor doing more damage than a defender, then make a different topic for damage proc IOs.  if the base damage is the problem here, then why are we suggesting convoluted solutions surrounding the scourge inherent (that you very clearly is just a '4fun mechanic')?  just ask for 10% more (or whatever number you think is appropriate) base damage to corruptor powersets.

any 'thematic' edge based around the scourge inherent is going to be less reliable than defender every time.  if you think scourge damage is currently terrible cause stuff dies too fast anyways, then 'critical debuffs' will have the same exact problem.

ultimately i think the reality is that corruptors and defenders both are generally insanely strong in a team environment and nobody should be turning down either in a party.  never once has anybody turned down my corruptor and said 'sorry we need a defender instead'.

I appreciate the feedback, but I guess we will agree to disagree. No I have never been not picked for a team because I am a Corruptor or picked over a Corruptor because I am a Defender. That isn't the point, the point is that they fill the same role and that in that role Defenders are objectively better.  I don't believe in nerfs to improve balance I believe in buffs, so nerfing IO procs just to help other ATs be more viable would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I would prefer that changes be made to those AT's to help them stand out in different ways. Also, you mentioned one of the very few powersets where a Corruptor shines over a defender, that is Kinetics. That is the only situation where a Corruptor can take advantage of there higher damage cap, otherwise they would have to rely on an outside source (another Support toon) to get there, and in those limited situations, yes a Corruptor is going to out damage a Defender. You keep mentioning the Scourge crits like they are potent. They are not very potent and can't be relied upon as a consistent source of damage. They aren't Scrapper crits which can go off whenever, they only have a chance (and a small one at that until the target is basically dead anyways) to actually go off. I hesitate to change the Scourge mechanic though because it could swing the pendulum too far.  Yes I have made suggestions about the Scourge mechanic (in replies to other people) but my main suggestion isn't related to Scourge. Though I did just have what I think is a good idea in my reply to GraspingVileTerror that Scourge could be changed to a smoother sliding scale to give it more presence earlier in the fight. That may be just enough to set them apart. Maybe you don't like that idea either and maybe you are of the camp that nothing needs to be done, that is fine. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on that. Corruptors and Defenders are my favorite AT to play, I like playing support. The more I have played them though the more I have realized that when it comes to team and solo play, there isn't much reason to pick a Corruptor over a Defender. There just isn't. A Defender can be made to do everything a Corruptor can do, but not vice versa. It simply shouldn't be that way. Something does need to be done, in my opinion. Maybe the buff to de-buffs isn't the answer, that is fine too. I am okay with that. But, something does need to be done. I am of the camp that believes in buffs, not nerfs. So I don't want to nerf something else simply to help Corruptors. That, I believe, would be the wrong approach. I could be in the minority there, though. 

Anyways, again, I do love the discussion and the suggestions. Thank you for your feedback! 🙂 

I think the bottom line problem here is that Defenders have options at their disposal to make up for their lower damage that help bring them very close or surpass a Corruptors perceived damage advantage. A Corruptor on the other hand has NO options to make up for their lower buffs/de-buffs and are never going to be as sturdy as a Defender, they can get close in limited cased but it takes a heck of a lot of investment. That is a problem that needs to be looked it, in some way or fashion. 

Edited by th0ughtGun

9 hours ago, wiss said:

My take is that the shared powersets are too similar with them basically being identical and resulting in too much overlap. This was fine when the red/blue didn't cross but now it is prevalent. My recommendation is that the sets should be modified for corruptions. Keep about half the powers the same and then revamp the other half to change the focus. Maybe go with debuffs, or slap in some melee attacks from the blaster sets to go more damage less buff, but go with something that isn't a basic 1 for 1 copy.

Maybe, but this is going to be too radical a change to be within the scope of reality.

• Thumbs Up 2