June 2019 Donations & Finances

Cipher

I'm glad to donate what I can, but hope you all see that with sufficient support from the community, you can continue to have the best tools to do what you've set out to do.

I can't help but think that, if you are serious about to continuing develop the project you'll need graphic design software and other more "individual" expenses for the folks contributing to the project.

You should also look into something like pre-paid legal services (subscription based relationships) and other necessary business essentials like perhaps an ongoing relationship with an accountant/tax guy and so forth. Don't be afriad to move beyond the iron-and-electrons side of this.

It will do the community good to know what the full enterprise will cost in the long-but-sustainable term, so we can all budget our contributions.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Glad I got here in time to donate this month.  I absolutely love the financial transparency and commitment to non-profit.  I'm sure there's some degree of legal protection motivating you to do that, but still, it's a breath of fresh air in a world dominated by corporations looking to get as much money as they can out of you.  You're doing a great thing here, both in reigniting a childhood passion for so many people, and for the way you go about doing it.

• City Council

The financial transparency is nice to see.

That said, it depresses me to be reminded that antimalware software actually gives as much weight to code signing certificates as it does, given the prevalence of fraudulently acquired certificates. I guess it makes some degree of sense for non-enterprise AV deployments, though, since there's still enough of a cost to getting hold of them that they're unlikely to be used for generic "thank you for spending $600 on an iPhone game, please open the attached notavirus.pdf.exe to view your invoice" mass emails.

It's not really a guaranteed thing -- although not having one is guaranteed to get you flagged with certain vendors.

What it helps with is that if we sign the binaries with a Homecoming LLC certificate, when those binaries get flagged and people report them as false positives, any reputation gained through that process is often partly applied to other (new) versions signed with the same certificate. It's not something that will fix it overnight but in the long run should help reduce the problems.

I WAS AWAKE THIS TIME!!

;D

Also, can we expect this to be the regular window (day/time) for this to happen each month?

All is vanity, and grasping for the wind. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble.

IG: @OriginalSpacey

FWIW, as someone who owned and administrated an IPS forum for a few years, and someone who currently admins two Xenforo forums, go Xenforo all the way.  IPS is clearly designed to be hosted on their servers, and if you do use their servers good luck getting direct access to the forums database if you want it or need it.  Xenforo is more straightforward and friendly.

Do you accept credit card donations? Or only PayPal. And where would I find a link to make a donation via Credit card if you have it. I like 1000s of others playing this game again am immensely grateful that this wonderful game is available to play. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone that is making this possible!

Cheers PrincessPenelope

We would like to migrate to better forum software. We’re currently looking at Invision Power ($300 + $40 every 6 months).

Invision Power Community is amazing! The clubs component will be great for Supergroup recruitment.  The blogs for all the community RPers and writers. The Downloads section would be great for sharing costume files and other helpful community files.  It is WELL worth the additional costs. 

RO has been using Invision since 2006 and it has only gotten better over time!  I hope you all choose that software, I don't think you'll be disappointed

EDIT:

FWIW, as someone who owned and administrated an IPS forum for a few years, and someone who currently admins two Xenforo forums, go Xenforo all the way.  IPS is clearly designed to be hosted on their servers, and if you do use their servers good luck getting direct access to the forums database if you want it or need it.  Xenforo is more straightforward and friendly.

RO's IPS forum has been self hosted since 2006...Using IPS cloud servers is an option but the forum can run just fine outside of their servers.

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

Man, this community is awesome.  I went to donate and the obligation was already met.  This does bring up the point that some of us may want to donate, but may not be quick enough.  Not sure how to resolve unless you can take pre-donations somehow.