June 2019 Donations & Finances

Cipher

Was playing the game and missed it.  I'm with others, tell us a time and place and we'll be there...

The admins broadcast in game when the donation window opens and closes...

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

I think a queue system should be setup. Limit people to a $25 donation and put them in a queue to wait to donate. That way, everyone gets a chance to help.

That would only be needed if there were an in game benefit to donations. I would like to see an option to automatically donate every month and then if more funds are needed open it up again for individual donations. The only downside I can see with that is that this community is so eager to help that with subs they may bring in too much.

I think a queue system should be setup. Limit people to a $25 donation and put them in a queue to wait to donate. That way, everyone gets a chance to help.

I like this idea, but unfortunately that could cause issues for people on tighter budgets not being able to count on exactly when such a debit could occur. And someone being bumped up several spots because X amount of people couldn't be charged one month(regardless of why), could put someone into overdraft or NSF fees charged by their bank. I realize some may counter with better budgeting, spending habits, or whatever else, but this is just the reality for a lot of people. And I'm sure the last thing the HC team wants is some auto process to cause people to overdraft on their bank account, or get chargebacks because someone forgot they were signed up and they get the bank or HC to refund the money. I feel it would carry more overhead and other potential risks than would be worth it.

I like this idea, but unfortunately that could cause issues for people on tighter budgets not being able to count on exactly when such a debit could occur. And someone being bumped up several spots because X amount of people couldn't be charged one month(regardless of why), could put someone into overdraft or NSF fees charged by their bank. I realize some may counter with better budgeting, spending habits, or whatever else, but this is just the reality for a lot of people. And I'm sure the last thing the HC team wants is some auto process to cause people to overdraft on their bank account, or get chargebacks because someone forgot they were signed up and they get the bank or HC to refund the money. I feel it would carry more overhead and other potential risks than would be worth it.

At this point there are so many grey areas in what's happening here, I think the wisest course of action is the one that involves the shortest possible windows for giving, and the fewest people involved.

At this point Homecoming LLC is a for-profit enterprise, wholly owned by one person.  So any claim they make at this point of being a non-profit is out the window.  So that doesn't help.  Setting up a recurring billing system, no matter how innocent, starts to feel like a for-profit enterprise which is more likely to draw unwanted attention. (Hmm - they have 10K ppl willing to do $25/mos - that $3M/year at play now, even if they aren't collecting it). 

But if it's only a few hundred people during a small window then it at least "less grey", whatever that means.  Besides, not being able to give doesn't hurt anyone, and setting up a recurring billing system is probably something we'd prefer they not divert resources to from maintaining and building out the game.

Lets see what things look like when they become a non-profit...

Full transparency - I did give during the June window ($25)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Why shut down donations at all? Build up a nest egg in case of unexpected costs or to have a reserve. Sounds like many, myself included, want to donate but cannot. Take my money goddarnit. :)

Because the more money you pull in beyond operating expenses the more likely NCSoft is to care.

Most likely, if no one is making any money, and its just a niche group of people playing, they won't do anything, it wouldn't be worth the time and money spent in lawyers.

However, if it looks like you are making money...well, here come the lawyers.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

That's no issue. HC knows when their bills are due. If they setup a queue, they'd know when they'd use the funds of each person in the queue. They can make those dates public. If someone can't do it, they just cancel their line in the queue and the next person takes their place.

I'm out.

The admins broadcast in game when the donation window opens and closes...

For those who don't happen to be logged in when the announcement is made, putting something like "Donations are Open" in the MotD would let people know as they sign in, and it can be removed when donations are closed again.

When the LLC / 501C3/4 matter is resolved, I am wondering if:

Back in the day for a while Paragon sold in game advertising space to real world companies.

Some people very vocally didnt like it so they stopped.

Can we look at going forward with this again as a way to support the servers and perhaps even pay for upgrades?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Back in the day for a while Paragon sold in game advertising space to real world companies.

Can we look at going forward with this again as a way to support the servers and perhaps even pay for upgrades?

I'd be worried about any form of income that doesn't look like a straight up donation making NCSoft more concerned.  Any donation that get's a concession, is also very risky (that's one of the many reasons Paramount went after Star Trek fan productions).

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Ideal NCSoft would Licence the servers/IP at a low base cost plus 10% of gross revenue from all sources. Homecoming and others could charge $2.99 a month or $30 a year and everyone would be happy including NCSoft getting some income on an otherwise dead IP. Potentially Ad revenue could pay for everything - 100000 subscribers is not a small amount.

I'd be worried about any form of income that doesn't look like a straight up donation making NCSoft more concerned.  Any donation that get's a concession, is also very risky (that's one of the many reasons Paramount went after Star Trek fan productions).

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just caught a you tube vid mentioning and I couldn't click quick enough to get here and download the game

I am ready to throw money at you all!!!!!! but donations already met for the month ;-P  I will definitely be donating next month

Can some one please tell me how to donate money to this cause? Thank you.

Each month, at the start of the month, they put up an announcement here and in Discord that donations will be opened, with the link and the time the donations page goes live. At that time, you'll be able to load the donation page and use the link to be taken to the page where you can actually make your donation; when their needed costs are met, the link is closed. Typically, the flood of donations meets their goal in a short time -- the first window closed in about 20 minutes.

Is there anyway you guys can make a subscription.... I would gladly pay a monthly subscription

They probably could, but I think the intention of doing it this way is to ensure that they're taking in only what they need to cover the operating costs, removing the "making money off of our IP without our permission" violation that would give NCsoft the excuse to sue for damages, rather than just issue cease&desist letters, if they decide they need to make an example of the people operating the rogue CoH servers.

Is there anyway you guys can make a subscription.... I would gladly pay a monthly subscription

They probably could, but I think the intention of doing it this way is to ensure that they're taking in only what they need to cover the operating costs, removing the "making money off of our IP without our permission" violation that would give NCsoft the excuse to sue for damages, rather than just issue cease&desist letters, if they decide they need to make an example of the people operating the rogue CoH servers.

I know HC said they were looking into this, but I hope they avoid for the reasons you just gave srmalloy.  Right now, they asking about 7K/mos to manage expenses - no payroll at this point.  That's 84K a year.  A fairly big sum, but again, it's just paying the costs of hardware and hosting mostly, the bare minimum anyone needs to run a private server.

Imagine if they had a subscription.  I scanned the forums, and there are at least 1200 ppl who posted at least 5 or more times in the forum.  That indicates a pretty high level of passion for the game.  Now imagine all of them donate $25/mos (remember, they had 300 donors in one HOUR last time).  That $365K a year (4 times as much).  HC starts to pay salaries to get development work and it likes people are earning an income of this game.

Now let's imagine that just 10% of the game base offers something smaller, like $10/mos.  100K players x 10% = 10K players * $10/mos * 12 mos = $1.2M a year.  Now that's some serious revenue.  Now NCSoft is bound to notice the real money making happening out there.

As soon as HC sets up a subscriber model, they are putting themselves closer to being in the crosshairs...

Allready homecomeing is skateing on thin ice I feel with the donations but I can understand where there comeing from about needing to cut costs but they need to go non profit organisation as soon as possible in order to cover there asses.  I think its still a little to funny that ncsoft havent steped in yet and swung any hammers or lawsuits and feel that this maybe ther server there waiting for an excuse to make an example off.  As for Subscriptions DO NOT GO THERE!!  that will be the straw that breaks the camels back that will give them that excuse

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub