Jump to content

Plant primary


beerdetective

Recommended Posts

Personal experience with Plant/Psi is that it is a super strong pairing.  Some of the anims are a bit long on the ST powers. If I was rolling today I'd go /Fire. 

 

Plant does so much work, not sure it really matters much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plant is the top control set for Doms.  Fire is a top tier assault set for Doms, it's a bit more of a ranged playstyle.  Paired together it's the beefiest Dom (damage-wise) outside of knowing what else you can get out of your Epic pools.  

 

The only thing about /Fire is that you're almost shoehorned into taking the Fire epic pool because how well Fiery Embrace interacts with Fire Ball.  

 

Plant/Fire is top tier.  But then a lot of things pair well with Plant.  

Edited by Mezmera
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind about fiery assault that it is a great endgame domi set, but blooms very late. You don't have slotted Blazing Bolt and Blaze until lvl 36-39.

 

I personally like Plant/Thorns because the (massive) defense debuffs in thorny assault (-30% in thorn burst) maximize the enemy critters chance to hit each other while confused. Thorn burst can also slot fury of the gladiator and achilles heel, and you can put an annihilation proc in fling thorns for a potential 52.5% resist debuff to amplify your confusion damage. Sleet from ice ancillary adds an additional 30% resist debuff topping out at -82.5%.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently on fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll put my vote in for Plant/Dark. Gather Shadows is fun as a power build up with seeds and your other mez. Negative dmg is only somewhat resisted ingame as well, The t9 in dark is pretty optional strangely enough, If you asked me, I'd prefer to consider moonbeam the t9 of dark assault. Once you get perma dom you can take ice mastery for sleet and max out S/L def. Powers like smite and engulfing darkness will take you into melee so having S/L def paired with dark's -tohit is nice, you can build to have fun in melee and in the safety of range if you so choose.

Edited by KingofMonkeys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, Mezmera said:

The only thing about /Fire is that you're almost shoehorned into taking the Fire epic pool because how well Fiery Embrace interacts with Fire Ball. 

Embrace of Fire, which is a different power than Fiery Embrace, and yes it is confusing, and you have a good point.  I kind of wish it would be changed to Fiery Embrace but that's a lot of work for the powers devs, since they have to add a possible proc to every single damage power available to dominators to make that happen.  🤔

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decided to give Dominators a try myself, usually I play Masterminds though. Have my heart set on a Plant Dom, secondary I am still musing about. Would like something to be both good and thematic if possible, so this thread has been a good read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neiska said:

Decided to give Dominators a try myself, usually I play Masterminds though. Have my heart set on a Plant Dom, secondary I am still musing about. Would like something to be both good and thematic if possible, so this thread has been a good read.

 

Plant is the best dom control.  Hard to mess it up.  A lot of assaults I'd assume would synergize well when paired with the top dog so pick the one that fits your fancy.  I'd recommend looking at the assaults they revamped a while back. 

 

If you're going to go /Fire you're pretty much locked into taking the Fire epic pool.  If you're thinking of something other than /Fire I'd say have a look at all the dom epic pools, they're all quite good in their own right and really round out your character, think of those pools as your SecondaryB to see what would pair well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, Mezmera said:

 

Plant is the best dom control.  Hard to mess it up.  A lot of assaults I'd assume would synergize well when paired with the top dog so pick the one that fits your fancy.  I'd recommend looking at the assaults they revamped a while back. 

 

If you're going to go /Fire you're pretty much locked into taking the Fire epic pool.  If you're thinking of something other than /Fire I'd say have a look at all the dom epic pools, they're all quite good in their own right and really round out your character, think of those pools as your SecondaryB to see what would pair well.  

 

A strong disagree from me - Ice mastery is the go-to for dominators and anything else should be a rare exception.

 

Having defender strength Sleet on a high powered dom is incredible and makes a huge difference solo and a mega difference when teaming

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

 

A strong disagree from me - Ice mastery is the go-to for dominators and anything else should be a rare exception.

 

Having defender strength Sleet on a high powered dom is incredible and makes a huge difference solo and a mega difference when teaming

 

Well.  Soul Mastery nets you Soul Drain which boosts your damage 100% and tohitt 30%, lasts for 30s and the attack also does good damage on its own.  Surely that compensates for the 17% -res to +4 groups you are fighting.  

 

Then you get Dark Obliteration which is quite a nice blast at 16 targets, does decent damage and provides -tohitt all packed in a 1s animation.  

 

The resist shield is fantastic it nets you S/L/Neg/Tox resist, better than that ice shield.  

 

The icing on the cake is Dark Consumption.  It's an emergency endurance refill, provides yet more pbaoe damage for you and you are also able to slot the pvp -res proc into it which it'll sure fire for the same affect as your Sleet.

 

Not to mention the pet is quite good damage as well.

 

Soul is all full of win, Ice Mastery is a one trick pony.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

 

Well.  Soul Mastery nets you Soul Drain which boosts your damage 100% and tohitt 30%, lasts for 30s and the attack also does good damage on its own.  Surely that compensates for the 17% -res to +4 groups you are fighting.  

 

Then you get Dark Obliteration which is quite a nice blast at 16 targets, does decent damage and provides -tohitt all packed in a 1s animation.  

 

The resist shield is fantastic it nets you S/L/Neg/Tox resist, better than that ice shield.  

 

The icing on the cake is Dark Consumption.  It's an emergency endurance refill, provides yet more pbaoe damage for you and you are also able to slot the pvp -res proc into it which it'll sure fire for the same affect as your Sleet.

 

Not to mention the pet is quite good damage as well.

 

Soul is all full of win, Ice Mastery is a one trick pony.  

 

on a schpeed run you’ll often get the full -30% res on equal level AVs from sleet, if someone else in the team has a -res power too things really start flying. i’m all about teaming so powers that benefit The Greater Good™ are up my street. e.g if i can help 7 people it’s better than picking a power that only helps 1

 

i didn’t pick ice shield or build for defense as insps exists. it’s a waste of build space to pick a power which can be facilitated through insps instead. my dom always outlasts and outperforms any squishy with a silly tough&weave build as it’s permanently jacked to the eyeballs with glorious T3/T4 insps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

 

on a schpeed run you’ll often get the full -30% res on equal level AVs from sleet, if someone else in the team has a -res power too things really start flying. i’m all about teaming so powers that benefit The Greater Good™ are up my street. e.g if i can help 7 people it’s better than picking a power that only helps 1

 

i didn’t pick ice shield or build for defense as insps exists. it’s a waste of build space to pick a power which can be facilitated through insps instead. my dom always outlasts and outperforms any squishy with a silly tough&weave build as it’s permanently jacked to the eyeballs with glorious T3/T4 insps

 

Why spec just for teamming when you can do everything Ice Mastery can do and better in Soul Mastery?  All that aoe damage plus slotting the pvp -res proc to fire is far more effective in speed runs, hard runs, solo, wherever you want to play. 

 

See, why skip such a nice resist shield in your epic when it can act in lieu of one of your inspirations?  So instead of 2 or 3 purple/oranges you now can use just 1 for the same survivability so then you can skimp on those defensive ones and bring a bunch of reds or greens if you need heals.  Plus then you're missing out on the bonuses/uniques that are great to slot into these things.  

 

Maybe it's me but I see no reason to skip an Epic shield that is easily offered up to you.  I appreciate the difference of opinion but I don't see Ice to be the beauty that you think it is.  

Edited by Mezmera
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

 

Why spec just for teamming when you can do everything Ice Mastery can do and better in Soul Mastery?  All that aoe damage plus slotting the pvp -res proc to fire is far more effective in speed runs, hard runs, solo, wherever you want to play. 

 

See, why skip such a nice resist shield in your epic when it can act in lieu of one of your inspirations?  So instead of 2 or 3 purple/oranges you now can use just 1 for the same survivability so then you can skimp on those defensive ones and bring a bunch of reds or greens if you need heals.  Plus then you're missing out on the bonuses/uniques that are great to slot into these things.  

 

Maybe it's me but I see no reason to skip an Epic shield that is easily offered up to you.  I appreciate the difference of opinion but I don't see Ice to be the beauty that you think it is.  

 

i’m all about team play so i always choose whatever is best for the people around me - who doesn’t love debuffs also

 

Mez, can i ask you, what camping gear do you recommend? i’m in need of a good tent because i will die on this hill 😛

 

& i have a big dislike for the current tough & weave fad on every character. i feel people should be a bit braver and learn how to play ATs other than melee classes - being tactical with how they engage mobs and flow through a mish. the game is filled with mediocre characters which have their main primary/secondary largely ignored in favour of pointless mids stats but that’s a rant for another day

 

now excuse me, i’m off to worship my icy shrine

Edited by MoonSheep
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

 

i’m all about team play so i always choose whatever is best for the people around me - who doesn’t love debuffs also

 

Mez, can i ask you, what camping gear do you recommend? i’m in need of a good tent because i will die on this hill 😛

 

& i have a big dislike for the current tough & weave fad on every character. i feel people should be a bit braver and learn how to play ATs other than melee classes - being tactical with how they engage mobs and flow through a mish. the game is filled with mediocre characters which have their main primary/secondary largely ignored in favour of pointless mids stats but that’s a rant for another day

 

now excuse me, i’m off to worship my icy shrine

 

All good.  I had to reassess some of my stubborn ways after I came back, lots of changes, it's best to be fluid. 

 

I usually only team as well.  What does it matter if you drop a sleet on a low level group that'll just get obliterated by someone's nuke anyways? 

 

If you can just get almost the same effect out of Dark Consumption slotted with that -res proc as Sleet but then it also does moderate damage and by the way fills your endo back up then you can follow that up with a Soul Drain and Dark Obliteration to spike all that extra aoe damage then get a buff that'll carry you to the next group how isn't that great for your team?  

 

You should see how my animal of a Mind/Nrg/Soul doms plays some time.  

 

You go worship your ice cubes I'll be over here letting the souls of my enemies power me.  😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mezmera said:

 

All good.  I had to reassess some of my stubborn ways after I came back, lots of changes, it's best to be fluid. 

 

I usually only team as well.  What does it matter if you drop a sleet on a low level group that'll just get obliterated by someone's nuke anyways? 

 

If you can just get almost the same effect out of Dark Consumption slotted with that -res proc as Sleet but then it also does moderate damage and by the way fills your endo back up then you can follow that up with a Soul Drain and Dark Obliteration to spike all that extra aoe damage then get a buff that'll carry you to the next group how isn't that great for your team?  

 

You should see how my animal of a Mind/Nrg/Soul doms plays some time.  

 

You go worship your ice cubes I'll be over here letting the souls of my enemies power me.  😜

 

buffs and debuffs give me a feeling of “helping out” whilst playing on the dom, though i can’t deny that soul is a good mastery

 

we are united in our love of mind control but divided in our mastery 😁

 

should def have a team together sometime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ice mastery isn't always the best mastery. Preferred content and build goals figure into what makes a given mastery a good choice for a particular build.  

 

If somebody wants upper end challenges (801 content, max notoriety with challenge settings on TFs such as inspirations disabled, enemies buffed, players debuffed, etc), then what a mastery adds to survivability starts to matter more. Then papering over weaknesses with inspirations becomes more difficult, or downright impossible with inspirations disabled. Masteries that boost resists generally seem to help more in the most difficult content, for example. 

 

Leviathan is a bit of a sleeper mastery choice. Water spout debuffs and cc's mobs, plus it provides a place for an achilles heel -res proc. Hibernate is an excellent "uh oh" button. It doesn't add as much to damage as soul mastery, though, and so it's probably a better choice for primary / secondary combinations that already have excellent damage. 

 

The further one moves away from high difficulty play, and the closer one moves to speed runs at low notoriety levels, then the less any given mastery matters except for how much it multiplies team damage. Speed runs at +0 or +1 difficulty seem to play to ice mastery's strengths, for example. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...