Salvage Management

kubwulf

3 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

If you are crafting the IOs, a level 35 is cheaper to craft in terms of currency than a level 50.

And better yet, unless you were planning on boosting the IO....

Craft the recipe as soon as you get it, when it's lower level (and therefore cheaper). See what it sells for on the AH. Sell it on the AH. Then buy it back attuned for the same price. You're basically getting the enhancement attuned for free! That way you get the benefits of the enhancement scaling with your level while you level, and don't lose the set bonuses when you exemp down. Win/win!

I dont even bother with salvage racks. I did originally, but I found I never used them, so now I just craft when I get stuff, and sell every single one of my 50 recipes, cause those things are _expensive_ to craft based on ROI.

Don't forget that the Inspiration table ALSO counts against SG Base storage. I maintain one of these for the 'extra special' inspirations for difficult content. Here are some tricks I use for Inspirations:

• Rezzes stay in global email (to my account), and I turn off drops of them.
  • I have stacks of 4x Essence of the Earths purchases in AH for my characters that play Hamidon Raids. Yes, they usually drop but I find managing the Insp tray to be annoying during Hamidon Raids.

I maintain 4 tables for Enhancements, they are mostly full of crafted PVPs and Purples which have dropped. about 30% is dedicated to other pieces which I will use on future characters.

I have 1 rack just for Catalysts, "Event Salvage", and Access Bypass. If a character has bought boosters and I have leftovers I drop them there. I don't pull these out of email character items if they come from opening packs.

I actually do maintain far too much storage for white/yellow/orange. I craft a LOT of SG buffs, and every once in a while I decide to craft with a character to get extra (individual) salvage/recipe space.

I make no effort to stockpile recipes, except in the occasional cases:

• Yellows, PVP, Purples get crafted (for the market or for me)
  • Certain orange sets get crafted (otherwise I'd just turn off orange drops)
  • Whites (of levels 25, 30, 45) get saved/put in email IF I am pursuing those crafting badges. Level 50 commons drop like rain, and selling them covers all other crafting fees.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, kubwulf said:

So on the topic of IOs... 

Is anything crafted considered an IO?

Basically, yes.  IO stands for Invention Origin.

Technically, you can get a respec recipe and temporary powers and craft them, which are not IOs.

Here's a summary of the system.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Invention_Origin_Enhancements

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

What I do lately is this:

After a team or TF, I hit my base.   I sell all common recipes and any IO set recipes that are above about level 35 (since those aren't a good deal to craft... too expensive)*.  I exemp a lot, so I do get mid-level recipes fairly often even on my 50s.  I then visit the invention table and see if I can craft anything with the salvage and recipes I am carrying. Since I only store rare salvage in bins, I have to check if some recipes can be crafted with a rare I have stored.  Then I visit the empowerment station and craft any buffs that look good.  Recovery, perception, and resistances I am low on.  It's small buffs, but why not?  Pick up an endurance drain resistance buff before a Synapse or Yin TF, for example.  Good stuff.

Then I visit the base quartermaster and sell all common and uncommon salvage except for 2 of each.  I carry the rest.  I store rares in a bin unless I have more than two of them.  If I do, I sell the excess rares on the AH.  Then whenever I have spare moments in game where I can access /ah, I sell or convert-to-rares-and-sell those IOs I built in base before.

(*) Exception to keeping recipes above 35 are any that belong to sets containing commonly used "one-slot-wonder" IOs like LotG, Miracle, Numina, Perf Shifter, Kismet, etc.   Any PvP IO as well since those are easy to convert into the good stuff like Shield Wall, Glad Armor, Panacea, etc.  I store those and often use dropped catalysts on level 50 characters to attune them for alts, if necessary.

This sounds like a lot of work but it's actually more work to write it out here than to do it.    Couple minutes between mission teams or TFs.  What I like about it is it's using stuff you have mostly, so it can be done by anybody and any of my alts without needing a lot of cash on hand.  I need money to craft and to post for sale, but that's about it.   I tend not to overflow on recipes or salvage this way unless I haven't visited my base for a long time.  Seems to work out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I keep everything until I am full.  Then I store into Vault Reserve until I can get to my SG base and store it there.  Eventually I just craft and convert (if needed) recipes and sell them.  When SG space is full I start selling common salvage, then repeat the process.

Just in case I'm missing something - why would you stash 100 converters in a storage bin? That's...33.3 reward merits. Surely every character has that many reward merits by level 15 or so...seems crazy to stash them in a base if you're in the practice of hoarding salvage/enhancements. 

Are you folks that do this only working a single account?

10 hours ago, Ukase said:

Just in case I'm missing something - why would you stash 100 converters in a storage bin? That's...33.3 reward merits. Surely every character has that many reward merits by level 15 or so...seems crazy to stash them in a base if you're in the practice of hoarding salvage/enhancements. 

Are you folks that do this only working a single account?

Because sometimes it takes 70 of the #*&#$*#&$*&s until I get what I want.

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Because sometimes it takes 70 of the #*&#$*#&$*&s until I get what I want.

I guess what I'm thinking is..well, all of my alts will use converters. I tend to start them off with a couple thousand. I mean, they're free. I go through 1000 a day, at least. Just seems crazy to put them in a bin. I'd be having to restock every hour.