Trick or Treat - Zombie Apocalypse Question

dtjunkie

On Everlasting, the ToT teams in Peregrine always move from Motel 666 to the Portal Corp Courtyard during the Zombie Apocalypse. Can someone tell me why that is? I was thinking it would be bonkers to just keep trick or treating at Motel 666 while also punching zombies. Does it just get too laggy or is there some other benefit to moving to Portal Corp?

• Like 1

Portal Corp is right next to the base portal where people using Base Teleporters or Long-Range Teleport will appear.  It's an easy enough space to reach that's also open, however teams tend to shuffle too close to Castle and his police drones too often.

Sometimes it's better to assemble on top of the parking garage next to the hotel.  Still a big open area and much less chance of drone strikes.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

The most annoying thing about the Zombie and Rikti invasions (since they both work the same way) is the way they consistently keep spawning on the same side of any given pack of players.  Instead of randomly spawning around players.  Causes the whole thing to migrate over time.  I've seen them go over cliffs in Talos like a bunch of lemmings.  You can't get people to move back either because once something spawns, people run to attack it, no matter what you are telling them in League chat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last week while trick or treating at the Peregrine Island No Tell Motel on Indomitable, a Zombie Invasion happened. I only saw a handful of Invasion Zombies spawn, and these were mostly (only?) coming up on the balconies of the Motel. This was with a 3 team league in the area.

I can only guess that something inhibits the Invasion Zombies on the ground level at the Motel, and so league leaders move to better hunting grounds for the invasion.

(It would be funny in the in-game lore was that directly under the parking lot was some Portal Corp lab, and there just isn't enough dirt to spawn zombies)

38 minutes ago, ZemX said:

The most annoying thing about the Zombie and Rikti invasions (since they both work the same way) is the way they consistently keep spawning on the same side of any given pack of players. 

In the invasions, new mobs spawn to the NE of characters, with the chance and size of the spawn dependent on the size of the group of characters. If the spawn position is in mid-air, the spawned mobs will fall to the ground; if the spawn position is inside the ground or a building, the spawn will be canceled.

Because of the range limitations of the melee characters, unless you're willing to 'take fire' from a new spawn until it closes with you, characters will follow the new spawns to engage them, producing the migration of the fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From what I recall, the choice of Portal Corp's lawn is a (possibly superstitious) belief that zombies spawn best on grass or dirt.

Combined with the easy availability of Police drones if things get out of hand.

Thus the League leaders sometimes spamming "Back here! Stay away from the drones, they'll steal our zombies!"

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 hours ago, srmalloy said:

if the spawn position is inside the ground or a building, the spawn will be canceled.

Aha! This make sense to me. The buildings around Motel 666 might reduce the number of spawning zombies whereas an open place like the courtyard does not.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, BZRKR said:

(It would be funny in the in-game lore was that directly under the parking lot was some Portal Corp lab, and there just isn't enough dirt to spawn zombies)

That would be funny, but I've had them burrow their way out of an overpass at me. I guess there could have been some mob hits and a Mafia owned construction company involved. 

• Haha 1