Pv2 Vendor sell a Permanent or temp hold power

MsSmart

On 10/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

A person cannot be a gatekeeper unless they are actually able to prevent an action, in this case prevent the developers from implementing your suggestion. Can he do that? Can he fire the developers if they attempt to implement your suggestion? No? Then he's not "gatekeeping" or whatever word you want to misuse to describe his actions. He's "disagreeing with you."

People don't need to be developers to be gatekeepers.  There's forums and communities for various IPs all over the internet that have rules against this and don't allow members to gatekeep.  You see this a lot in the Trek, Star Wars and Tolkien community forums.  STO has gatekeeping built into their forum rules.  See item 22 here

The forums here could use a similar rule in my opinion.

• Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, Excraft said:

People don't need to be developers to be gatekeepers.  There's forums and communities for various IPs all over the internet that have rules against this and don't allow members to gatekeep.

In order for "gatekeeping" to be a thing he'd have to actually be physically preventing you from entering a gate or door, or preventing someone from taking an action. That's what that means. Gatekeeping is not a synonym for disagree.

He wasn't doing that.

All he was doing was disagreeing with someone. And the forum rules specifically say that you're allowed to disagree with people. Right here GM Tahquitz said "If others disagree, that's fine, too."

Ok? Did you get that? A GM specifically said that people are allowed to disagree with you! And changing the word from disagree to gatekeeping does not change that.

TL;DR: It doesn't matter if someone "gatekeeping" triggers you, it's still not against the rules.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

47 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

In order for "gatekeeping" to be a thing he'd have to actually be physically preventing you from entering a gate or door, or preventing someone from taking an action. That's what that means. Gatekeeping is not a synonym for disagree.

He wasn't doing that.

All he was doing was disagreeing with someone. And the forum rules specifically say that you're allowed to disagree with people. Right here GM Tahquitz said "If others disagree, that's fine, too."

Ok? Did you get that? A GM specifically said that people are allowed to disagree with you! And changing the word from disagree to gatekeeping does not change that.

TL;DR: It doesn't matter if someone "gatekeeping" triggers you, it's still not against the rules.

There's a difference between disagreeing and pretending to speak for what the development staff can and cannot do and should or shouldn't be doing.  They're adults and can do that themselves.  I understand you want to be anal retentive about definitions of words and that's fine, I'm just pointing out this is a common thing on forums for various communities.  Sorry if that triggers you. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, Excraft said:

There's a difference between disagreeing and pretending to speak for what the development staff can and cannot do and should or shouldn't be doing.

I just went back and reread his posts. He was not pretending to speak for the development staff. He was disagreeing with the OP's suggestion.

And I'm not being "anal retentive about definitions." Words have specific definitions. Insisting upon attributing the correct definition to a word isn't being "anal retentive", it's trying to make sure that we're still speaking the same language. For example: I did not ride a unicorn to work this morning, as much as I would have liked to, I drove a car. Calling a car a unicorn doesn't make it one.

I am pushing back against this so much because I've noticed a tendency in recent years to change a word or a definition, use the new word or definition for awhile, until people get used to it, and then getting the rules changed to make that thing against the rules.

Since disagreeing with someone is already specifically covered in the rules we start calling it "gatekeeping." (Which is not what that word means) And then, in a few months, once we've impressed upon everyone how bad "gatekeeping" is, we then go to the mods and cry until they make it against the rules.

And yes, the developers are adults. And, just as they don't need Glacier "gatekeeping" for them so they also don't need you trying to protect them from the mean old forum monsters who are keeping your precious suggestion away from them.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

These tangents get really tedious.

Let's make it real simple:  The Homecoming Team doesn't -NEED- to do anything.  Period.

It's a colossal waste of time to single -any- suggestion out as something "that doesn't need to happen."

In the same vein, the entire game is optional for players.  Shooting down any suggestion with "it's optional" is just as pointless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

He wasn't doing that.

Well buddy you're more than welcome to go back and read whatever you want.  You're certainly entitled to your own spin on things and to be wrong.  Sorry, I can see you're sensitive and got triggered.  Feel free to read things however you like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:03 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

You can also buy the Power Core from Vanguard, which gives you a Heavy Mech that has the tear gas hold.  Conveniently located just under the entrance to the Hamidon Mission.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Vanguard_HVAS

Two questions

1. Do you need vanguard merits
  2. Can you purchase while in TF mode ?
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Presumably someone could also use their second build to pick an ancillary power pool hold power.

You can't talk to a trainer once in TF mode.

1 minute ago, aethereal said:

Shows how often I build my second build.  😛

Same here.. 

I think there's an error there.  

I am fairly sure that every trainer is TF-friendly.  

Hell, you can even pop out of a Trial, hit a Trainer, and then jump back in to a Trial (at least for Death From Below, Drowning in Blood, and Summer Blockbuster.  Remind me tomorrow, and I'll test to confirm whether it's possible with Kane's as well).

As far as I know, only Contacts and P2W Vendors (excepting the Pocket D Vendor) will decline speaking to a player who's currently in Task Force mode.

Regardless of either of those, I believe the /selectbuild command is always available ( https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Select_build_(Slash_Command) ), so some preplanning may potentially be helpful in some scenarios.  Of course, that doesn't help if you find yourself in a situation where you unexpectedly lost a teammate with the kind of Power your team needed, and it sucks to consider having to cannibalize a whole Build for something like that if you have other plans for your alt Builds already.

And I'll be clear that I'm not against the idea of having more avenues available to players to get diverse Power picks in their builds, whether it be expensive P2W items, rewards for completing content, Day Jobs and other unique paths, or entirely new methods yet to be established.  I'm a firm supporter of giving players more options to grow outward and progress laterally.

I just wanted to address what I believe to be a mistake related to access to Trainers and alt-builds while in a Task Force. 

Edited by GraspingVileTerror
Furthermore.
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, plainguy said:

Two questions

1. Do you need vanguard merits
  2. Can you purchase while in TF mode ?

1. Yes, need Vanguard Merits

2. Yes, can purchase in TF Mode.

Additionally, you can head to Pocket D's P2W and buy the ranged damage signature summon.  Both Ghost Widow and Manticore have holds.  While in Pocket D, head out to the Winter Chalet, talk to the Candy Keeper elf and buy the Golden Rings hold power for 20 Candy Canes.  Don't have any canes?  You can buy some from AH.

And VileTerror is correct, you can always train or even switch builds while on TF mode.  But unless you already have a second build done with a hold in it, that seems like a lot of time and effort.  You can also talk to a Merit Vendor in TF mode to buy or convert Reward Merits.  Unfortunately, you can't buy Vanguard Merits or convert R-Merits to V-Merits, but you can buy R-Merits or convert V- merits to R-merits.

Going back to the OP, I would not be opposed to adding tear gas as a purchasable power in P2W.  It's already available as a temp power in game either through day jobs or mission completion and P2W already sells stuns, ranged attacks, melee attacks, buffs, debuffs, etc.   And as I mentioned above, you can already buy a hold directly via candy canes, and indirectly via summons.

But I do not think that the TF should give you a free hold.  Yes, I know some other TFs give a temp power.  But it's usually a mcguffin needed to overcome a specific need in the content, like the Orestes Rifle for Ms. Liberty or Dampening Ray for Reichsman. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if they could allow you to get that Vanguard HVAS with INF during the the TF that is right by the Hami entrance that would clear up pretty much everything.. 

2 minutes ago, plainguy said:

Well if they could allow you to get that Vanguard HVAS with INF during the the TF that is right by the Hami entrance that would clear up pretty much everything.. 

I wonder if the devs would be willing to allow inf to Vanguard Merit conversion or a reverse conversion of  Reward Merits to V-merits.  That would essentially be the same result.

• Like 1