How and When to Slot Procs For Damage

Hakarne

So I've been seeing some conflicting opinions and was hoping to get some clarification. I know the accepted advice has generally been to load a bunch of procs into your AoEs. However, there was also apparently a change made regarding procs per minute that may make that not as efficient for damage.

So my question: How/what should I slot procs in for damage? Is there still a benefit to having multiple procs in the same power or do they all share space in the PPM calculation? Are there some powers that are better than others for slotting procs? For example, my Plant/storm has procs loaded in Freezing Rain and Roots. Would I be better off moving the procs, say from Roots to Carrion Creepers?

Thanks for any help!

I can't speak for all sets, but after slotting the superior version for the controllers I found it to do a whooping occasional 20 points of damage on a grey mob. Not even all the time or all mobs at once. Personal opinion: slot something like -res chance if you can and ignore damage procs if you can't.

This may not be relevant necessarily, but I really feel that procs are a thing that have to be considered on play style.  Anyone with Static Field or Mass Hypnosis may want to avoid them, the damage proc could be harmful and wake an enemy as they set up.  While a fire troller who has his mobs locked down may look for as many procs as they can get to maximize AoE damage. the procs are small, but they add up.  But, I wouldn't slot them if the enhancement you are missing out on is going to be great for your character. And I wouldn't skip them if you need the 6 piece for a set that will really help some aspect of your build.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

I can't speak for all sets, but after slotting the superior version for the controllers I found it to do a whooping occasional 20 points of damage on a grey mob. Not even all the time or all mobs at once. Personal opinion: slot something like -res chance if you can and ignore damage procs if you can't.

at 50?

Can’t say that it works in Carrion Creepers but can say it works in Bonfire and both powers are pseudopets.  High chance to proc once per casting for +100% recharge but it only lasts a few seconds.

There’s a whole thread about this over on Reddit and a guy tested it with Bonfire.

I thought I had responded to this thread, but I probably forgot to hit the send button :)

I like using procs in location powers or toggles where the procs have multiple chances of firing. Things like:

Choking Cloud

Poison Trap

Acid Mortar

Arctic Air

I will also on occasion slot them in AoE immobs, but rarely. I love, love, love them in Poison Trap on my Grav/Traps.

I thought I had responded to this thread, but I probably forgot to hit the send button :)

I like using procs in location powers or toggles where the procs have multiple chances of firing. Things like:

Choking Cloud

Poison Trap

Acid Mortar

Arctic Air

I will also on occasion slot them in AoE immobs, but rarely. I love, love, love them in Poison Trap on my Grav/Traps.

It's amazing in Poison Trap for both Traps and the Poison set.  I also like slotting damage and hold Procs in Volcanic gasses.

However, there was also apparently a change made regarding procs per minute that may make that not as efficient for damage.

Yeah this is the problem. The proc rework was in beta for i24 and it's gone live here. There are a lot of people who have strong opinions but they're still based on I23 and earlier. I, personally, have been doing so many alts that I haven't gotten anyone to a high enough level to do a serious build and trick them out with procs. But based on the prestige enhancements and a few that dropped into my hands, I'm underwhelmed. I actually pried a damage proc out of an attack I spam a lot which I thought it would rock in during a respec and sold it off. I haven't regretted that.

So I do hope anyone posting in this forum is giving their input based on their actual I25 experience and not just spouting what they remember to be true because it may not be. For instance someone told me that procs in damage auras and rains no longer check on all targets but instead start checking on each target in turn and as soon as they trigger on one target they go into cooldown and stop. If that's true (IF) then they're pretty gutted. But I'm not sure that's true I want to test more.

If you don't get a lot of responses to this thread - this is why. People are figuring out the new normal still. Honestly I really wish this change hadn't been implemented it's just a layer of complexity I don't have the bandwidth to deal with right now.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

If you don't get a lot of responses to this thread - this is why. People are figuring out the new normal still. Honestly I really wish this change hadn't been implemented it's just a layer of complexity I don't have the bandwidth to deal with right now.

I agree with this completely.  I can't truly figure it out right now and wish that it was put off or not implemented at all.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Related question: Does the Force Feedback recharge proc work for you in Carrion Creepers? Or does the recharge only apply to the creeper vines (and is thus useless)? Anyone able to test?

In my experience it definitely works with Carrion Creepers. I've yet to do any rigorous testing, but my dominator has only a single FF Recharge proc on his build in Carrion Creepers, and has domination with a recharge of 82 seconds currently. When I'm solo farming and using CC, I notice I have a lot larger than 8 second gap on perma-domination, often it's up several seconds before the power begins to blink and then wear off. Considering I'm solo, and only the one FF recharge is slotted and I don't have any other variable recharge bonuses, that indicates it's working. YMMV, and I'm interested in any testing done too.