Suggestion: Random missions when clicking unassigned doors

You are running around a zone and click on a door on the nearest building. Of course, unless a mission is currently assigned to that door, you get the "You cannot enter" message. Why not spawn a random mini mission appropriate for that building type so a hero/villain can bop their way across a zone anytime they feel like it. Missions similar to the newspaper/radio missions.

Better yet, some SG's have amazing looking bases. Expand the AE mission editor so that SG's can create missions using their members (heroes and/or villains) and their base designs as the enemy group and setting. Once published and with enough upvotes, those missions could become a permanent part of the game and would be activated (randomly chosen) by clicking on a door anywhere. For example, you're in a small group and street sweeping in Kings Row, the team leader walks up to any building and clicks on the door and the team is transported to a randomly chosen mission based on that building type. A message pops up saying, "You and your team have just entered the base of the Knights of Atlas, a group that raided your base last year. It's time for some payback!" Each custom mission shoudl come with its own badge so collectors could pursue as many unique badges as they can.

I think a lot of players would work hard to create content that could allow their characters and their base designs to become a permanent part of the game.

Just spitballing - but maybe some of the Dev's choice AE missions could be linked to those random doors...

Interesting thought

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Mission objective: Try to explain why you just barged into this apartment.

It's not an apartment, it's a secret lair!

If it was a secret how’d you know to barge in

The secret I want to know is how if I was here just yesterday fighting the family and trolls, how did it change to looking like an apartment?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

For the sake of realism, 99 out of 100 of those random door clicks would just take you into somebody's apartment, at which point they are screaming at you to get out before they call the cops.

The 100th instance gives you some short, slam-bam mission with great rewards.

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

Right around shutdown I was designing a couple of AE missions. In one, the backstory was it was a rest home for aged supes and the enemy group was all old people. The other one was a daycare for meta humans. All the enemy characters were supposed to kids with pigtails and shorts and bowties. And powers, of course. Hey, villains gotta be villains.

I really do want to see some of these SG bases become mission maps tho because some of you guys out there designing these things are really, really talented and the bases have a completely different feel from the usual zones. I visited someone's base the other day and the designer was in it and said they'd placed over 6,000 items at that point. I mean, they had a kitchen with deep fryers with what looked like chicken parts floating in it (all made from bathroom items, I think). Brilliant stuff.

The secret I want to know is how if I was here just yesterday fighting the family and trolls, how did it change to looking like an apartment?

I remember running a Citadel TF where the first three missions shutting down Fifth Column bases were all at exactly the same tunnel entrance in IP (the one SW of where the road N out of Terra Volta turns W  -- and it's weird the way some details stick with you even after years); we joked about how the Fifth were so hard up for bases that they sent in teams to quickly refurbish the base as soon as we exited.

In a more accessible example, if you take a new character and go into City Hall and get missions from the old Origin contacts, both Rick Davies and Prince Nandelu (Tech and Mutant, respectively) hand you missions to the exact same door (the building north of the W half of Prometheus Park), so you can click on the door, enter, defeat all the Clockwork, exit, turn around and click on the door again, enter, and defeat the Skulls that moved in during the five seconds it took you to get out of the building.

It always seemed, though, over my eight years playing CoH before it was shut down, that there were at least ten times as many doors in Paragon City as there were doors that were used for missions -- different missions from different contacts, and some doors would get used again and again, while most of them were apparently just there for show. I would like to see whatever RNG algorithm that picks mission doors be given a much bigger list of possible door locations (well, except for the level 11 mission I got a few days ago where the door was in Faultline, but I'll be posting that one with screenshots for proof in the Bug Reports board).

Instead of that, make it so that once a day, a door somewhere in the city leads to the secret apartment of Statesman. It provides some cool background lore and you end up fighting a group of tough Elite Bosses (or AVs on larger teams) who are there to steal valuables from the late, great hero. Mission reward – 1000 Reward Merits. You get a 25 minute timer once the mission starts in order to form a team to help you should you be solo. Once the timer is out, the mission closes and doesn't become available until the next day when a new door is randomly selected to host it.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Instead of that, make it so that once a day, a door somewhere in the city leads to the secret apartment of Statesman. It provides some cool background lore and you end up fighting a group of tough Elite Bosses (or AVs on larger teams) who are there to steal valuables from the late, great hero. Mission reward – 1000 Reward Merits. You get a 25 minute timer once the mission starts in order to form a team to help you should you be solo. Once the timer is out, the mission closes and doesn't become available until the next day when a new door is randomly selected to host it.

I like it.

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

• 1 month later