Your yearly Fear-Mongering: The Embracer Group bought PWE

WhiteNightingale

Before you celebrate how CO may finally be axed, let's remember that it is for this same reason we should start looking behind our backs, since Gearbox is the new steward of the Cryptic Engine, and the Embracer Group is for all purposes an evil empire. China could care less about private servers of an all-too-American game, but Gearbox might.

Should the HC team start devising contingency measures just in case? Perhaps be ready to grab the database and go dark then contact us when it's time to re-surface?

• Thumbs Down 5

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

For the sake of someone bumping into this thread, CoH is owned my NCSoft. Cryptic has no current ties to it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Already discussed plenty on this forum and other venues of HC, and no, no one is gonna close Homecoming all of the sudden.

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

12 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

For the sake of someone bumping into this thread, CoH is owned my NCSoft. Cryptic has no current ties to it. 

Cryptic owns the Cryptic Engine, which means any software that makes use of it needs to license it from them.

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

Contingency measures? For what? The event that Champions Online suddenly becomes good?

AFter 2021, nothing suprises me.   And I did somewhat like CO back in the day, but some elements of the Freeform builds put me at a point where I was like, "Well, there's nothing I wanna take."

1 hour ago, WhiteNightingale said:

Cryptic owns the Cryptic Engine, which means any software that makes use of it needs to license it from them.

That's not accurate in regards to City of Heroes. The intellectual property is owned by NC, formerly NCSoft after it was purchased from Cryptic many years ago. Take a look at the other posts linked in this thread for more details. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

Contingency measures? For what? The event that Champions Online suddenly becomes good?

I still pop into CO once in a while, and while I love how many options you have for costume pieces/materials/etc, trying to create a character that has a human face is just a trial in frustration, there...

• Haha 1

I enjoyed CO for a long while. RP was good, gameplay was decent, min-maxing was amazing fun and the costume creator was a step up on City of Heroes. Honestly I'd never celebrate any MMO getting axed (unless it's a scam) the MMO genre needs every success it can to survive and thrive.

As for HC and Contingency measures?

Private servers are fickle things. I don't think any are legally sanctioned they are a blemish on the nose of the corporations that own or owned the IP, they are illegal. However corporations know that stomping out one server creates ten more, the Ouroboros Team a couple years ago made sure that City of Heroes was never ever going away as anyone can download and host the game as it was, even if Homecoming got whacked by the corpo whack-a-mole there would always be new and multiple other private servers, it's pandora's box and NC know it, it's simply not something they can stop.

In the age of gaming remasters who knows what could happen concerning City of Heroes as a franchise, nostalgia sells.