Yet another Sentinel improvement idea!

BurtHutt

Yes, it's been done to death but allow me to gather a few ideas I've posted and put them in one spot. The one thing I do like about the new seismic power is that there is a bit of innovation in it. I feel the same about the Dr. Aeon SF (although it is way too long, way too much text and not that fun) - the Dev team had some new play experiences in there. Well done, Devs!

So, here is an innovative suggestion!

The AT can enhance attacks in a few different ways. So, the player would have the chance to apply a twist to attacks by hitting a toggle. This would be like the bio armor gimmick.

Another option would be giving the player the ability to PICK an option package. So, we can have all damage type options (cold, fire, toxic etc - this could even get more creative by having attacks do the toggle damage type only and disregard the original power type - so Sent can change all fire attacks to toxic damage. If this is too much then have 50% of that attack do the original damage type and the other 50% do the toggled damage type....it could also EXCLUDE the damage done by procs so the proc continues to do it's inherent damage type - to make it even more interesting), another toggle to add a % of damage to all attacks (like in assault), another for negative to hit, or -RES, or -DEF and so on (basically almost all options in-game) and then let the player PICK 6 (Maybe less? Maybe more? Or 6 is just right?) of them. The player can toggle 1 option at a time. You can really make some variety happen that way. This idea is very much like the mechanic in bio armor and dual pistols but bigger! 

So here's an option for one model: the toggles would look like:

Toggle 1: Debuff To-Hit - all attacks have a chance to reduce the targets To-Hit.

Toggle 2: Debuff Resistance - again, all attacks have a chance to reduce Resistance.

Toggle 3: Slows - yes, all powers slow targets recharge and movement.

Toggle 4: END sapper - all powers reduce some END from the target(s)

Toggle 5: DAMAGE boost. 

Toggle 6: Add toxic damage to all attacks.

So, the player would pick 1 toggle and can change them as need be. It'll allow the Sent to be a bit more versatile and have a unique quality as well.

Of course, keep the OPPORTUNITY mechanic but maybe tweak it a bit. Maybe have it appear on all primary powers for a short time and give it a bit of a buff.

I think, since a Sentinel kinda oversees or watches over, a new inherent could be added. Sents have the inherent ability to have better accuracy overall and is an inherent. Say, something like 10%? Also they could have better ability to fend off things like blind and confuse etc.

This may not make enough of a difference but I really think it would be fun to run with a toon that has so many options.

• Thumbs Up 1

So like...

Picking a primary power set? I don't really understand how that's different. 

1: Dark Blast

2: Sonic Blast

3: Ice Blast

4: Elec Blast

5: Fire Blast

6: Rad...? DP?

Edited by Aurora_Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

12 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

So here's an option for one model: the toggles would look like:

A bloody mess.  I already have three trays crammed with macros (and their associated powers, which is necessary because macros don't display recharge time) and powers, plus a fourth holding toggles and travel powers, on every character.  I don't need another tray to juggle and more hotkeys to memorize.

KISS.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

So like...

Picking a primary power set? I don't really understand how that's different. 

1: Dark Blast

2: Sonic Blast

3: Ice Blast

4: Elec Blast

5: Fire Blast

6: Rad...? DP?

It's not my clearest presentation and I was brainstorming as I wrote it.

If you have the toggles option then your attacks can be changed quickly on the fly. Yes, these are the same as other powers but the Sentinel will now be able to apply all of these and switch to them when needed. 

Yes, this would be another tray for the toggle options and it would make things busy. I don't mind it but others do. Ya can't please all the people all the time.

20 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

It's not my clearest presentation and I was brainstorming as I wrote it.

If you have the toggles option then your attacks can be changed quickly on the fly. Yes, these are the same as other powers but the Sentinel will now be able to apply all of these and switch to them when needed. 

Yes, this would be another tray for the toggle options and it would make things busy. I don't mind it but others do. Ya can't please all the people all the time.

I'm really trying to get what you're saying here: so sentinels would have only one primary power set? "Blast?"

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

The OP is suggesting a feature like Bio-Armor's toggle for offense/defense/efficiency and/or dual pistols ammo swap ability for fire/acid/cold, but just more broad and expansive with regard to the choices.  You would still pick your attack power set, as normal, but there would be a toggle ability to add another modifier to the attack (change dmg type, give -def, slow enemy recharge, whatever).  You could switch this out by hitting a different toggle.

I don't know how I feel about it.  I think it might be a little too ambitious/complex.  The AT needs a tweak, but I feel this is a step too far.  Start out with small modifications.  If it's not enough, scale it up, a bit at a time.  No need to reinvent the wheel here, IMO.

Just one guy's opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

I don't know how I feel about it.  I think it might be a little too ambitious/complex.  The AT needs a tweak, but I feel this is a step too far.  Start out with small modifications.  If it's not enough, scale it up, a bit at a time.  No need to reinvent the wheel here, IMO.

Yea, I like the idea of sets with different forms, especially Staff Melee and Bio Armor, but I generally set and forget them.   They are nice for specific encounters though.  If I do swap stances I do so before combat starts.  

47 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

The OP is suggesting a feature like Bio-Armor's toggle for offense/defense/efficiency and/or dual pistols ammo swap ability for fire/acid/cold, but just more broad and expansive with regard to the choices.  You would still pick your attack power set, as normal, but there would be a toggle ability to add another modifier to the attack (change dmg type, give -def, slow enemy recharge, whatever).  You could switch this out by hitting a different toggle.

Just one guy's opinion.

Yes, this is what I was getting at. I don't think it's too ambitious or complex as the mechanic is already in game. It's a bit more clicky as you can change settings a lot if you so choose. I feel it would help the Sentinel become a sought after ally in teams and an AT people would want to play as it is a bit different.

Anyway, just an idea. I do like the idea of the Sent but they don't really offer anything better than any other AT. Maybe this mechanic allows them to become that toon along with the other ideas.

I get the idea, I just don't understand how that's not just...your primary power set. 

If you want to do slows, pick ice. 

If you want to do more damage, pick fire. 

If you have the ability to just pick your secondary effect, why even have different blast sets? Just call your primary "Pew Pew". 

11 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

I get the idea, I just don't understand how that's not just...your primary power set. 

If you want to do slows, pick ice. 

If you want to do more damage, pick fire. 

If you have the ability to just pick your secondary effect, why even have different blast sets? Just call your primary "Pew Pew". 

Cuz with this system you can have a small bit of it all. So, for example, if you pick fire then you can hit a toggle and add some poison damage to that fire blast..or you can add a to-hit debuff...or you can hit them with a slow and so on. Now, these toggles aren't meant to be so powerful that you don't have a need to create any of those other power set combos but rather a buff. Also, you have to pick a finite amount of abilities for to toggle (I proposed 6) so you can't apply every power. 

The six toggles I may take would be 1) poison damage (2) to-hit debuff (3) cold damage (4) negative damage (5) defence debuff (6) resistance debuff...or something like this. Now your Sent can cause more damage or whatever and will have something unique and some appeal.

Again, I 100% understand what you're looking for here, I just don't understand why it could work. You'd probably have to lower the damage to have an additional debuff (disregarding the thematic problems of like...fire blasts having toxic damage somehow), and...it's a sentinel. So. No. 

It's too many toggles to track on top of 3-9 you're running already, you already get a variety of debuffs/secondary effect choices in the selection of a primary power set, and it makes an already less-than-appealing AT even less appealing. 

I wish I had better for you, you obviously put some thought into this. 

12 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Again, I 100% understand what you're looking for here, I just don't understand why it could work. You'd probably have to lower the damage to have an additional debuff (disregarding the thematic problems of like...fire blasts having toxic damage somehow), and...it's a sentinel. So. No. 

It's too many toggles to track on top of 3-9 you're running already, you already get a variety of debuffs/secondary effect choices in the selection of a primary power set, and it makes an already less-than-appealing AT even less appealing. 

I wish I had better for you, you obviously put some thought into this. 

It was something that just came to me and I literally noted it down as it came to me.

Why would you have to lower the damage when the complaint is the low damage output of the AT? That's part of the point to this - it can up the damage of the AT or it can help the team by debuffing an enemy and so on. I appreciate the replies to the idea though.

I actually like the toggles that allows you to change up your play a bit (like in bio armour and dual pistols).

Yes, you do get some of these options in the powers you take that is why you pick from a pool and you can take the ones you don't have or duplicate them to increase the damage type....it allows you to pick. Also, instead of picking 6 options, you can pick 3....I just like toons that can be versatile and work in a variety of situations.

I play a lot of Dual Pistols. and Yes, I do toggle ammo type depending on the enemy and the situation. Though my default is Incendiary rounds, sometimes I toggle between all three on a tough boss as Toxic rounds debuffs damage, Cryo slows, and then back to Fire for damage dot. the Toxic and Cryo lasts about 10 seconds, and it does help. It's a bit tedious, but fun in its own way (animation is cool too). For Bio armour, I tend to prefer a certain adaptation depending on the level (defensive in the lower levels when I prioritise attacks, efficient in the mid levels when I still need to sort through my end recovery and consumption and offensive towards the latter levels when most things are in place and I just want MOAR dmg. Staff, I just stick to one form (I'm still learning the primary, though).

Regarding the suggestions, I like them.

1) I do feel sentinels have the least contribution when teaming. A few Epic and Patron powers have a team buff/heal, but nothing to write home about. Having such versatility and utility as the need arises sounds awesome. It sounds like more work as Luminara pointed out, but I see potential in it.

2) And as per Aurora Girl's query, the toggled effects would be on top of your primary. So if your primary is Fire Blast, your attacks now become Fire dmg + to hit debuff, or Fire dmg + slow, or Fire dmg with -recovery, etc. Similarly, Sonic (which already has def debuff) gets + to hit debuff or + slow or -recovery, and so on and so forth. A sentinel with any primary can now switch attacks depending on the enemy or team composition. 

3) I would also suggest that the toggles are enhanceable according to their category: the -to hit will accept to hit debuff IOs, +slow will take slow IOs, etc. On the surface this may sound overkill and unfair, but we still get the same number of slots. So allocating slots to the toggles becomes a challenge akin to distributing slots to a tri-form PB or WS.

Of course, I have no clue whatsoever how feasible this idea is in terms of coding. But I hope the powers that be give it some consideration.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BurtHutt said:

It was something that just came to me and I literally noted it down as it came to me.

Why would you have to lower the damage when the complaint is the low damage output of the AT? That's part of the point to this - it can up the damage of the AT or it can help the team by debuffing an enemy and so on. I appreciate the replies to the idea though.

I actually like the toggles that allows you to change up your play a bit (like in bio armour and dual pistols).

Yes, you do get some of these options in the powers you take that is why you pick from a pool and you can take the ones you don't have or duplicate them to increase the damage type....it allows you to pick. Also, instead of picking 6 options, you can pick 3....I just like toons that can be versatile and work in a variety of situations.

I get where you're going with this and yeah, the extra toggles in DP, Bio, and Staff are kinda cool.  But I think you've gone overboard for this concept.

Right now, you can make a DP/Bio Sentinel and get 6 toggles to switch up your Attacks and your Defenses.  Now you want to add on up to 6 more "Sentinel-based" toggles?  That's way too much and all it would do is muddy up the AT.  These types of toggles are within the powersets themselves and not inherent to an AT for a reason. 

I get that you're trying to elevate the AT and make it do more, but I see this as making it a "jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none" -- which Sentinels are already not even a "master of ranged damage" because Blasters are king (as they should be by not having a defensive secondary).  This huge diversification just gimps Sentinels further, in my opinion.  

Sentinels can already go into Offensive mode or Defensive mode.  I personally think Sentinel's inherent Opportunity power should be 2 toggles or clicks for the AT, instead of having to do a shooting combo to achieve either boost to damage or boost to defenses.  That way, you have either at the beginning of the fight and not starting in the middle because you had to do some combo -- and if you miss, you have to wait even longer for the buff.  

• Like 1

And, it's worth saying, if these toggles are enhancable you're adding SIX POWERS worth of slots that would have to be taken from somewhere. Ask Khelds how well that works out for them. 

• Confused 1

So, this is just an idea and I always like the versatility of changing your toon around on the fly etc. Some note this power would make him a jack-of-all trades and master of none. Well, I kinda think that's the AT. However, he could become more useful in various situations with these options.

So, 6 toggles might be a bit much so maybe taking 3 options out of the pool would be ideal. I would call this power VERSATILITY and you can take it in your Sent power options. You can take the power then take 3 toggles out of all of the options available. Since there are 3 toggle powers, you can make these powers a bit more potent. One toggle power could be added UNTYPED damage (like Hami etc) which would make things even more unique and desirable! 

Opportunity needs to be adjusted. 

I would also add the inherent power I noted earlier - maybe call it OBSERVATION. It gives the AT an inherent +ToHit/accuracy of 10%, allows you better protection against Blind, Confuse etc.

Edited by BurtHutt

On 12/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, Frozen Burn said:

Sentinels can already go into Offensive mode or Defensive mode.  I personally think Sentinel's inherent Opportunity power should be 2 toggles or clicks for the AT, instead of having to do a shooting combo to achieve either boost to damage or boost to defenses.  That way, you have either at the beginning of the fight and not starting in the middle because you had to do some combo -- and if you miss, you have to wait even longer for the buff.  

I've been thinking how I would change Sentinels and that change to two toggles is how I would want it done.