Help me narrow it down please

Owenknowone

So I have rolled a few tankers getting the feel for the game again and having a blast.  Yet now I would like to focus on a main Tanker.  Here is what is have going...

RAD/RAD

SR/DM

ICE/RAD

or

roll INV/DM

My goal is to be unstoppable.  I am looking to run end game content and take on damage for the team.  

Thoughts?

SR/Rad? I only ask because I just rolled one up the other day, pondering how with SR I always miss a damage aura, which RM grants with IG, and the occasional heal from RS will be nice.

I have no idea how the AoE compares between Rad and Dark Melee, though. Used to not be a question, but the change to ToF in DM and SM's larger cone, made even larger with tank buffage, has me wondering.

1 hour ago, Owenknowone said:

My goal is to be unstoppable.  I am looking to run end game content and take on damage for the team.  

Thoughts?

With those criteria, you can't go wrong with Shield or Invulnerability...regardless of secondary.  SD is ridiculous positional def, with DDR and plenty of room to stack resists.  DM is a great pairing, due to the inherent (albeit small) heal, but I find I play my SD/WM more, due to the better damage output.

Inv is an amazing combination of Resists and Def (especially with Invincibility and surrounded by bad guys).  My go-to is an old school Inv/SS and, while not a DPS monster, has tons of soft control with Foot Stomp and Knockout Blow, one of the best heals in the game with Dull Pain and can run even psionic end-game content, without blinking.

I'll also mention Stone, as another "unstoppable" choice, just some don't like granite armor aspect, even though for 98% of content, you can go granite-less. 

Good luck and (in the words of David Lee Roth)..."tell us how you do!".

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Of the choices given, I'd go Rad/Rad (take the T1 and T2, skip Proton Sweep (T3)). Irradiated Ground is a gem especially when paired with Rad Armor. If not that, and you want to try a "Classic" then go Inv/Dark (they are near impossible to kill). You could consider Inv/Rad too...

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

1 hour ago, Owenknowone said:

RAD/RAD

SR/DM

ICE/RAD

or

roll INV/DM

Rad/ is going to provide generally excellent resists across the board, but takes some doing to build up defense, and its survivability is less overall in the most optimized build if considering purely survivability, as it lacks DDR.

SR/ is my vote for optimal unkillable beast, and offers a lot of slotting flexibility. If you are trying to make SR/ truly unkillable (relatively speaking), focus on a broad range of baseline resist and modest +hp bonuses so your scaling resists can meet the challenge across the board.

Ice/ is awesome and I love it, but I it does not compete with these others in terms of ultimate staying power. It has great end support and aggro tools though.

Inv/ is truly a monster in most content, but will take some build sacrifices if you are trying to max Psi res as well, though it is achievable. This would be my firm choice if you are not concerned about Psi damage, but there is a decent amount of Psi in various incarnate trials.

/DM is probably the best overall secondary for survivability, though the knockdowns of /Stone are worth attention as well - you can keep them flat down back to back with careful timing of fault and tremor.

As @PLVRIZR mentioned, Shield/ might be the strongest overall, but I didn't see it on your list. I realize not every concept fits the theme!

36 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Rad/ is going to provide generally excellent resists across the board, but takes some doing to build up defense, and its survivability is less overall in the most optimized build if considering purely survivability, as it lacks DDR.

SR/ is my vote for optimal unkillable beast, and offers a lot of slotting flexibility. If you are trying to make SR/ truly unkillable (relatively speaking), focus on a broad range of baseline resist and modest +hp bonuses so your scaling resists can meet the challenge across the board.

Ice/ is awesome and I love it, but I it does not compete with these others in terms of ultimate staying power. It has great end support and aggro tools though.

Inv/ is truly a monster in most content, but will take some build sacrifices if you are trying to max Psi res as well, though it is achievable. This would be my firm choice if you are not concerned about Psi damage, but there is a decent amount of Psi in various incarnate trials.

/DM is probably the best overall secondary for survivability, though the knockdowns of /Stone are worth attention as well - you can keep them flat down back to back with careful timing of fault and tremor.

As @PLVRIZR mentioned, Shield/ might be the strongest overall, but I didn't see it on your list. I realize not every concept fits the theme!

I have considered shield.  I've read it excells on scrappers.  So I was thinking of rolling a EM/SD scrapper.  I suppose I could roll a SD/EM tank my thinking is the scrapper would be a nice solo toon and the tank def more team friendly. 

Edited by Owenknowone

2 hours ago, Owenknowone said:

I have considered shield.  I've read it excells on scrappers.  So I was thinking of rolling a EM/SD scrapper.  I suppose I could roll a SD/EM tank my thinking is the scrapper would be a nice solo toon and the tank def more team friendly. 

Feel like I should note that my sd/nrg tank is my best soloist. It's a particularly brutal combo against AVs. While a brute and scrapper of the same might dish out more damage, I have to wonder if the lessened mitigation would slow them down. Been kind of wary of finding out, to be honest.

Edit: Granted, in my brain right now "solo" is defined as fastest solo ITF or other AV laden TFs. BZB scrap still kicks the crap out of anything else I have laying waste in DA repeatables.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Owenknowone said:

EM/SD Stalker. It really does not disappoint (though you will have to go something to keep the endurance issue under control).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

EM/SD Stalker.

If you're going to combine Shield and elec, this is quite a wonderful way to go! Stalker elec helps solve the single target problem the set has by replacing Taunt/confront with the ever-wonderful assassin strike.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

38 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

If you're going to combine Shield and elec, this is quite a wonderful way to go! Stalker elec helps solve the single target problem the set has by replacing Taunt/confront with the ever-wonderful assassin strike.

Was suggesting Energy Melee, though Electric Melee is a classic.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Owenknowone said:

Thanks for all the input.  I have decided to go with SD/RAD Tanker.  I have a concept that works with the powersets and I love the fact Rad has a toggle aoe for agro. 

Not at home atm, but I’ll shoot you the build I used as a basis for my Shield/Rad. @Linea also has a beast Shield/Rad build. I believe it is less “proc” oriented and more focused on survivability.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you skip Proton Sweep (which is terrible), Irradiated Ground is the only AoE Rad Melee gets until Atom Smasher at 38. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

23 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I have no idea how the AoE compares between Rad and Dark Melee, though. Used to not be a question, but the change to ToF in DM and SM's larger cone, made even larger with tank buffage, has me wondering.

Rad is better AoE. Dark has more utility. I feel like some of Dark's utility, Dark Consumption, is lessened in the end when IOs and Incarnates are factored in. We'll know Dark has over taken Rad when Dark/fire Brutes are the ones showing up in numbers on farms. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'll 11th the Shield suggestion for a top tier tank.  Not only is it fun to play but you can build that thing into exactly what you're looking for.  If you're going for full on tank you can cap your positionals easy and then I go with Hybrid Melee Core and One With the Shield to maintain an unending supply of near capped resists.  You'll also have a nice little team shield in Grant Cover and a great taunt shield that debuffs enemies damage while raising yours quite nice.  

1 hour ago, Uun said:

If you skip Proton Sweep (which is terrible), Irradiated Ground is the only AoE Rad Melee gets until Atom Smasher at 38. 

On my stone/rad tank I just respected out of Atom Smasher to get Devastating Blow for more single target damage. I figured I needed it more for the tough mobs more than another AoE since I had mud pit and a proc'd out Irradiated Ground.

3 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

On my stone/rad tank I just respected out of Atom Smasher to get Devastating Blow for more single target damage. I figured I needed it more for the tough mobs more than another AoE since I had mud pit and a proc'd out Irradiated Ground.

AS is huge for gaining Containment. I can't imagine not having that in the build. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

AS is huge for gaining Containment. I can't imagine not having that in the build. 

While I definitely would not ever spec out of Atom Smasher, with sufficient global cooldown one might be able to get by between Devastating Blow and Radiation Siphon.

6 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

While I definitely would not ever spec out of Atom Smasher, with sufficient global cooldown one might be able to get by between Devastating Blow and Radiation Siphon.

If anyone wants to justify using those two powers while skipping on AS I would accuse them of negligence to put it mildly. AoE Containment with Tanker cap targets versus the two worst cast times in the set and both being ST? You're a Tank. Take the AoE.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

25 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

If anyone wants to justify using those two powers while skipping on AS I would accuse them of negligence to put it mildly. AoE Containment with Tanker cap targets versus the two worst cast times in the set and both being ST? You're a Tank. Take the AoE.

You want Contaminated for two reasons:

•  Splash Damage
  • Healing

Any of your Rad Melee attacks can apply it but you get greater likelihood with powers with longer base recharge. From experience Radiation Siphon has a not unreasonable chance to apply it. While I do not use Devastating Blow, given its recharge time it should do better.  The primary issue with Atom Smasher is that you're only likely using it in a crowd and then, while it has a good chance of being applied to multiple targets it may very well not be the target you're focused on (much like Irradiated Ground) provoking a need to play "Whack A Mole" and switch targets to what did get Contaminated if you want to make use of the effect. Truth be told, my most reliable application comes from Radiation Siphon (since I do not use Devastating Blow). If I get the orange, "CONTAMINATED" on the target I can choose to use Contaminated Stike and Radioactive Smash for splash and with the moderate global recharge on my Elec/Rad Tanker still be able to reliably consume the effect for a nice chunk of healing.

That all said, yeah...I agree, it is borderline criminal...well, fully criminal really...to not get Atom Smasher.