Swashbuckler

My son wants a new power set that uses a sword in one hand and a gun in the other.

Personally I think that could easily be done by allowing blasters to take broadsword as their secondary set. Though you might need to give them a modified version of the set that includes a stronger parry.

or

by allowing scrappers to take a handgun as a secondary set

but

That would have to be a new set since we currently only have dual pistols. Of course dual pistols suck and I think a lot of people would prefer a single handgun set (I know I would)

This would be cool for pirate themed characters for the frog the went a courting and for a time traveler from the 1400s-1800s If the gun can be a blaster it could even work for a Jedi, John Carter or Flash Gordon type hero.

I'd rather a new set than changing dual pistols into a pistol/sword mix. And as a blaster with a sword secondary, you don't get to wield them at the same time. So possibly not what you are asking for. Not sure a power set could be made that wielded a pistol and sword at the same time. Would be nice though. I'd have to re-roll some of my characters into it since I am already using ninja tools secondary to fake the idea. As for dual pistols sucking, maybe instead have it tweaked to be more competitive with the other power sets? I like dual pistols. Just wish it hit a little bit harder.

I think the closest you're going to get is the /Ninj secondary for blasters, as it gives you a katana and a few attacks to use it with.

There are a couple major hurdles towards getting this implemented: Katana, Assault Rifle, and Beam Rifle animations all use two hands. They would not play nice with this idea. So we're looking at Broadsword animations; and the handful of left-handed pistol shots where the right arm is reasonably at-rest. If you plunder Dual Pistols and MM/Thugs, you can get 2 that definitely work, 1 that I think is okay, and one that's fairly questionable, so about 4.

Then the question becomes implementation; and there are two kind of paths that I see here that might be viable:

A) Sword and Pistol is its own powerset.
Now, a set integrating melee and ranged attacks should, by all rights, be a Dominator Assault set; but honestly I think a domi set with redraw would be kind of miserable to play. I think you could *just about* squeak it in as a melee set for scrappers, tankers, stalkers and brutes, with the 'set gimmick' being having a few ranged attacks. Spines and Staff both get ranged attacks of some merit, so it's not apocalyptically unheard of. I really don't know if I can see it as a blaster primary, there just aren't enough animations for different ranged attacks.

B) "AND A GUN!" becomes its own powerset.
Hear me out: The gun becomes an armor set. Name it CQC or Dueling or something of that nature, and treat the gun in your offhand like the shield from Shield Defense. The pistol becomes less of a damage-dealing tool and more to cow and debuff enemies, like Dark Armor. Upside of this one is that it might with any one-handed weapon like Shield Defense, broadsword, Axe, War-Mace, ect rather than just being with a sword.

Anyway, it'd take a good deal of work for a semi niche request, but it might be possible. Interesting, at least.

• Like 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

2 minutes ago, Crasical said:

I think the closest you're going to get is the /Ninj secondary for blasters, as it gives you a katana and a few attacks to use it with.

There are a couple major hurdles towards getting this implemented: Katana, Assault Rifle, and Beam Rifle animations all use two hands. They would not play nice with this idea. So we're looking at Broadsword animations; and the handful of left-handed pistol shots where the right arm is reasonably at-rest. If you plunder Dual Pistols and MM/Thugs, you can get 2 that definitely work, 1 that I think is okay, and one that's fairly questionable, so about 4.

Then the question becomes implementation; and there are two kind of paths that I see here that might be viable:

A) Sword and Pistol is its own powerset.
Now, a set integrating melee and ranged attacks should, by all rights, be a Dominator Assault set; but honestly I think a domi set with redraw would be kind of miserable to play. I think you could *just about* squeak it in as a melee set for scrappers, tankers, stalkers and brutes, with the 'set gimmick' being having a few ranged attacks. Spines and Staff both get ranged attacks of some merit, so it's not apocalyptically unheard of. I really don't know if I can see it as a blaster primary, there just aren't enough animations for different ranged attacks.

B) "AND A GUN!" becomes its own powerset.
Hear me out: The gun becomes an armor set. Name it CQC or Dueling or something of that nature, and treat the gun in your offhand like the shield from Shield Defense. The pistol becomes less of a damage-dealing tool and more to cow and debuff enemies, like Dark Armor. Upside of this one is that it might with any one-handed weapon like Shield Defense, broadsword, Axe, War-Mace, ect rather than just being with a sword.

Anyway, it'd take a good deal of work for a semi niche request, but it might be possible. Interesting, at least.

This. 

Want. Now.

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, Crasical said:

Now, a set integrating melee and ranged attacks should, by all rights, be a Dominator Assault set; but honestly I think a domi set with redraw would be kind of miserable to play.

In fairness, Doms already have Spines.

Also, was Sword+Gun the "power set" for one of the Korean signature characters (though I don't think he ever made it into the actual game)?  So it's totally without precedent.

16 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

Wait... DP sucks?

Only for people who don't know how to slot it properly.

Dual Pistols is currently ranked the second ranged damage set in AoE damage, and something like number six ranged damage set in single target damage.

Edited by Apparition

New EAT! New EAT! New EAT! New... ... I'm the only one praying for a completely new AT that mixes melee and range without requiring redraw to shift between them, aren't I?

Yeah... I know... a lot of unnecessary work for new dual wielding mix weapon animations. A body can dream though, yes?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last lines.

DP/Nin Blaster is currently my favourite. The over the top animations of DP interspersed with katana slashes (plus the Ninja Pose) does it for me. It wouldn't hurt to put one or two more sword attacks in /Nin, but as it is now, I'm only using Sting of the Wasp and Golden Dragonfly. I would've taken Lotus (nice to chain with Hail or Rain), but didn't have enough slots to spare to make it useful. I don't mind. the powers rotation/recharge is good enough to have both katana skills up when I want them. The transition from minimalist katana slash to a spinning Dual Wield or flamboyant suppressive fire or executioner's shot just works for me. (jump back and Empty Clips). Sweet.

As for Pistol/Shield, I can see this happening with a Sentinel.

A mix of Ranged and Melee says "dominator" to me.  But I know some people (cowards the lot of 'em!) like to only slot their Dom for ranged and avoid melee (make a blaster y'all), so they might not care for this idea of just one set for both.  I think Six-Six's idea ther eis probably the best bet.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

A mix of Ranged and Melee says "dominator" to me.  But I know some people (cowards the lot of 'em!) like to only slot their Dom for ranged and avoid melee (make a blaster y'all), so they might not care for this idea of just one set for both.  I think Six-Six's idea ther eis probably the best bet.

Well, blasters were doing the whole "mix of ranged and melee" long before dominators came around - they just had said attacks split between their primary and secondary.  That being said, the blaster secondaries typically do include 1 or more ranged powers as well, (usually an immobilize or other debilitating power).  The question is, what kind of powers would make sense to include alongside the broadsword attacks.  I was thinking you could make this some sort of warrior or berserker-themed set, with the ranged attacks being things like war- or battlecries, (you could easily adapt various sonic attacks for this purpose).  Here's my approach:

1. Intimidating Cry - Ranged attack.  Minor psychic damage over time, slows the enemy's movement and attacks speed and imparts a minor tohit debuff.

2. Hack (as per the broadsword power).

3. Parry (as per the broadsword power).

4. Build Up

5. Whirling Sword (as per the broadsword power).

6. Swordmaster - Toggle. +def all, +run & jump speed, immobilize protection, +res slow, +recovery

7. Routing Cry - Ranged cone.  Moderate psychic damage. Causes fear and knocks affected enemies down.

8. Column Breaker - Similar to the broadsword power "Slice", only with a wider arc and a 50% chance of knocking the targets back.

9. Headsplitter (as per the broadsword power).

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

This got me thinking of a pipe dream I had for a Blaster Secondary: Close Quarter Combat that would pair nicely with a ranged (preferably weapon-based primary) It would go something like this (think Old Guard movie):

1. Immob. Intimidate from Presence Pool

2. ST melee attack (high dmg). Nimble Slash or Power Slash (from Dual Blades)

3. Hold/Slow. Caltrops

4. TP + ToHit (because Blappers). Something similar to Combat TP or Burst of Speed (Martial Combat)

5. AoE Debuff (minor dmg). Ablating Strike (from Dual Blades)

6. Stealth/Def/ToHit. 

7. Clicky Heal/End/Res. Kuji-in Toh (from Ninja Training)

8. AoE Immob/hold/debuff. Invoke Panic from Presence Pool

9. ST or Cone (extreme dmg). Vengeful Slice or Sweeping Strike (from Dual Blades)

T1, T3, and T8 are thematic in the sense that they have a Fear component.
I was leaning heavily into Dual Blades, but T2, T5, and T9 can be from any weaponed melee (Mace, Katana, Broad Sword, Axe... hell, even Titan Weapons because why not)