Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

Merci, grazie, danke, gracias, hvala, obrigado, arigato .... etc!

No, but seriously, a big THANK you to all of you that have made this possible through hard work, dedication, and perseverance. Also, thanks to the fans that have shown an undying level of love for this game, like I have. We're in this together, and it just shows what this game was for many of us.

Years ago when the game shut down, I went through a range of emotions as I'm sure you all did. The everlasting question in my mind was - 'why would anyone ever shut down a game that brings so much happiness and community to oodles and oodles of people, far and wide'? It just didn't make sense. But, here we are - having another go at it and for I literally can't believe I'm sitting here playing COH again. Bringing all my old characters back to life is ridiculously fun, and nostalgic.

Know that I appreciate all that is being done to keep the COH legacy alive by each and every one of you that is making it possible. You're the hero in my book! 

I cannot thank the people that have made this possible enough, i had long given up on being able to play this game again, I would still be paying a subscription if it was still going. Still had the best community that i've ever been a part of.

I remember a friend was getting married in game, i still have pics of the event, we all bought the wedding pack so that we could wear the tux.

One of the Devs, Manticore came along to join in the celebration, and stuck around for the AP afterparty also, that was awesome!

Since the server shutdown; I've lost... everything.  I lost a job I loved. I lost my house and everything I owned in a wildfire.  I lost my father.

When I first heard that Atlas Park theme; saw the sky and streets full of all those heroes; it hit me right in the gut.  Something from better times came back.

I cannot thank you enough.  Words fail me and I'm low on kleenex.  All I can say is: "LFG"

Be excellent to eachother!

Penumbra Dancer, Everlasting; Warshade

CoH was my first MMO I remember logging in for the first time after making my first character and seeing all of the other Heroes in Atlas park.

It was amazing and I was hooked from that moment on and had to share so I roped my brother into playing and we played until the day it shut down

and thanks to the wonderful Devs who worked so hard to bring it back we are at it again. Thank You all for this.

Rage

Omega Factor...

For 8 years, I played CoX. A few days ago, I still thought, that I was done with it and right now being online, the first steps into Atlas Park the music...it gave me chills and tears, so I am more than thankfull for what you have done. I wish there could be a way to support you and the servers, I would do it in a heartbeat.

e64f70-1558633601.jpg

In all seriousness. This was my mothers favorite game. It was the first time she actually got into gaming, and she met so many people that I grew up knowing because of it. I'm 27 now, and she is 62.

Thank you Devs. You're doing great work.

Thanks!!!

COH was my first MMO and it got me playing with old friends and introduced me to many new ones. I was involved with several supergroups and villaingroups - mostly on Champion server. Sometimes I would take short breaks from the game but i kept coming back and played all my major characters on the days leading up to Sunset Day. When the game shut down I was on my first character I created - who was also my first 50.

It's good to be back but ... in a way I never left Paragon City. :)

There is only one thing that would make this more magical than it has been for me being able to recover something I feared lost forever -- When the game shut down, I was playing the first character I'd created, four days after launch, in the bottom of the bowl in the middle of a Rikti Mothership raid,playing as if it was just another night and the game wasn't going to be shut down; if I'd been able to come back to the bowl, it would have been the perfect resurrection of the game. But the work that has been done to bring it back at all is more than I thought I would see. Thank you.

Increidblt grateful! I've been in CoH since the US Beta and stayed up late nights (I live in Sweden) so I could play with my friends over there. I loved my character and characters so much that, after a while, I decided to learn how to draw so I could make my own comic featuring them.

And yesterday, I got to re-create my old grav/ff controller and go back to Atlas Park to hunt badges and King's Row to go hunt kill skuls. So happy!

I recreated my old blapper character (fire/energy) under the new Sentinel AT, and I have to say that you guys really scored bonus points with me on that.  Although I loved the old blastery badassness, they were so squishy and I was torn between seeing the vision of my character be a wimp or not being able to blast.  I may not be able to pseudo-tank like a tough scrapper, but with my fire/fire sentinel I no longer dread drawing a little aggro.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane and giving me the opportunity to try something new at the same time!

These past couple weeks have been awesome. Not only have all the efforts of the team allowed me to play my favorite MMO of all time, but it has allowed me to share it with my younger two boys who have often heard me talk about CoH. So, to everyone who is giving up their time, sweat, and money to this effort thank you.

As for my memory, I originally wrote this after a long night in 2008:

Generally, I run with a group of what I call "post-modern" CoX players (I'll talk about them some in a future post). They are good friends and great players, forming uber farming teams and rolling through pretty much everything they come across. It's great XP ... but sometimes boring. See, these guys have been playing pretty much straight through since beta. I've been offline about half that time and so every time I reopen my account, there is something I've missed. Of course, these guys have mostly seen it all, or don't care to see it all and so while I can farm to 50 with these guys all day... I might never see most of the game.

To experience the rest of the game, I created a new character on the heavily populated Freedom server and decided that I would level to 50 in pick-up groups with only the occassional interlude of soloing. Thus a new Plant/Storm controller, Song of Land and Sky, was born. Yes, I know, the name is fruity... but I sort of like it... and do you have any idea how hard it is to get a reasonable name on Freedom???

So, after a few solo runs and a few more pick up groups (have I ever told you how much I truly love the Hollows?), I have leveled Song to 16. Late last night, I am tooling around, trying to figure out what to do, or if in fact, I should just head to bed, when I get that fateful tell:

"Can you heal? We need another healer."

I sadly replied that I did not in fact, heal, but instead brought confusion and holds to the table. I figured this would kill the conversation, but surprisingly I got another tell:

"That might work. We are fighting CoT." And along came the invite.

Now, I should have been wary. I generally feel that most teams in CoX don't need any healers and this guy indicated that they needed another healer. Not one... another. With that single word, I created an entire scenario in my mind; a scenario of scrappers charging into a horde of purples, of wanton fire blasters firing Rain of Aggro... I mean Fire, of team wipes.

Sign me up!!!! I accepted, greeted the team and headed straight to the mission door.

Once in, we were faced with a gaggle of level 19 purple CoT. The first few battles went... ok. Slow, but steady and we didn't get into too much trouble. However, the first room we came to, the tank charged in and three Ruin Mages (and sundry minions) started pounding him... He dropped like a stone. I missed my Seeds of Confusion... which would not have handled the bosses anyway... and managed to buy my team an entire 0.3 seconds to flee as they eviscerated me and chuckled over my corpse. Within seconds, everyone was at the hospital heading back to the mission.

You know it is going to be a long night when you find yourself thinking how convenient it is that the hospital is less than 300 yards from the door.

Now, the tank is talking about finding another healer and though I usually try to stay off the soapbox, I felt the need to point out that healing wouldn't have helped much in that room. No healer of our level would have kept up with that onslaught.

We decided to pull.

Pulling goes OK for a few minutes and then people start getting antsy. Inevitably, "corner" pulling degrades into "hallway" pulling, degrades into "at the door of the room" pulling, degrades into "I will go with you pulling". So, our dark defender was essentially following the tank into the room, forgetting he had his targetted heal on auto...

At least this hospital serves Jello!!!

We head back and surprisingly, we've learned our lesson. The non-pullers stay back somewhat and we have a couple good pulls and start slogging through the room pull by pull. Hey, debt's gone... time to make more!

This one is totally my fault. We have mostly cleared the first room. There is maybe a group left and we have charged it. I am spamming confuse and holds and the occassional attack (I have serious energy issues at this stage). It is tough, but we are doing well. Suddenly, I see a flash of red in the corner of my screen. It seems we have an add or perhaps a runner. I WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM!!!!

So I dash after him... and am instantly gutted by the dozen or so of his buddies sitting just around the corner. I pull the adds, die, and then the baddies roll up the rest of the team.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get bloodstains out of Lycra?

Ok, lesson learned... no need to be the hero... or at least use some stealth when dashing willy-nilly around corners.

A few more battles and we have our collective stuff together. We cap a couple more groups and head into the next hallway. I am following the tank closely when we walk through a doorway and back out again, pursued by a convention of angry CoT. Strangely enough, this doesn't cause another team wipe. We pull the CoT through the door and the controllers manage to get the fight under control. As the enemy comes through, they are held, confused, debuffed and subsequently slaughtered. The doorway is clear... we are still standing...

And that's when the dozen or so Unbound Nictus start pouring through...

Not a Kheldian in sight, but somehow, we spawn a Crystal. And while we were valiantly fighting the CoT, what we didn't see is that there were two crystals spawning their little black clouds of death the entire time. There are at least a dozen of them and they make quick work of our unprepared team.

Back to the hospital... again... and again... and

See, those crystals had built up quite a head of steam and had filled the antechamber with nictus. We had to zip through that mess to get to the crystals and engage them. All the while, more nictus are spawning. It made quite the gauntlet to run. Finally, we bust through, attack the crystals and...

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh right, forgot about the blowy uppy thing when you kill one of the crystals... and presumably our blaster has never seen it because she is dead and spouting a whole load of WTF!!! on the team chat.

But now the final door is in sight. Victory is ours with just one more room. Click the door and there are no less than 3 bosses sitting right there, all in a tight clump, staring at us and daring us to cross the threshold.

It is at this time that my own boss... my wife gently reminded me that it was 1:00 am in the morning and the baby was awake and perhaps I should tend to him. And so I had to leave my team in the lurch... I wonder if they ever got that other healer?

Now, it might sound like I had a miserable time. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I had a great time. The mission was hard. The players were fun and did a nice job given the circumstances. I was laughing the whole time. This is why I still play CoX and why I rolled on Freedom!!

My husband and I played this game while we were dating, newlyweds, and new parents - right up until CoH shut down. We still have our old costumes we made of our characters for Halloween, hanging in our closets. Even to this day, I literally would have dreams about discovering a secret server and getting to play again. Each time, I would take an hour or so to try and chase down some of the rumors of a fan-run server or a fan effort to reboot the game. I never did track anything down - until the recent news about all y'all.

Today feels so surreal. I am literally having a dream come true. My kids keep crowding around to see and think the game looks amazing; they love Marvel comics, and are inspired by this game. The oldest, twins, vaguely remember Dad and I playing this game; they are teenagers now. I hope you can keep these servers running somehow - but even for a day, this is amazing.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I hope you are able to work something out with NCSoft someday so that your users / fans can contribute to the cost of upkeep. Is there another group we can donate to as a thank you, instead? We want to say "Thank you" with more than words.

This is amazing. I had all but given up hope of ever playing City of Heroes again.

CoH was my first MMO, and while I never got very far into it (being a middle/high school student in a house with sporadic internet access does that to you) I enjoyed every precious minute. After the shutdown, I tried to fill the superhero void with Champions and DC Universe, but neither scratched the old itch in quite the right way.

Now I got to hear the music again, create a new hero, and run around punching crooks in the face. It only lasted a short time before I was disconnected, but I'm back. Paragon City, I'm home.

Thank you, Team Homecoming.

I just heard about this a few minutes ago and rushed over here.  I thought I would never adventure in Paragon again.  If you ever start taking subscriptions or contributions I'd open my wallet in a heartbeat.  Thank you sounds so inadequate but there is a lot of gratitude and feeling behind that.

The fondest memory of this game is sitting next to me, waiting in queue right now so we can play.  I didn't know it at the time, but my second or third Hami raid was a moment that would change my life forever.  Since I wasn't 50 yet, I needed someone to sidekick me.  I got sent to a scrapper to babysit me, and so of course there was chatter and banter and general good times for all.  As time went on I kept hanging with the same group of people outside of the raids, and that same scrapper and I started playing together quite regularly.  I found out that the girl on screen was played by a girl off-screen, and more about her personally.

Fast forward to about 2006.  She moves across country and I don't hear from her again for a while.  About mid 2007 I get bored with the game and cancel my sub for a while.  Then July 2008 I get a shiny new 8800GTS and decide I need to start up the game again to see how it plays on the new video card.  As I'm running through the back alleys of Brickstown, I get a /t from a name I hadn't seen in years.  "Hey stranger, where have you been?"  That /t became an hour long conversation, followed by the revelation that she was living just a couple hours from me.  We had our first date in August 2008, married in 2010, and I'm still amazed with her every day.  For our anniversary last year, I commissioned a piece of art with hers and my mains walking through Atlas Park together.  We've tried multiple other MMO's, but nothing held us the way of CoH.  It's the best dating sim I have ever tried!

• Like 2