Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

• Retired Game Master

I feel alot of "thanks" go un-noticed to the dev team - and i want to remedy that.

This topic is for you lot to say your happy comments, what it means for yourself personally.

Hopefully this brings up memorys you can share, so we can all remember the good times equally.

But i will say this, the Devs (coders, hosters), and us GM's are so thankful for all of you being here, and we wouldnt work so hard for anyone else.

COH Was, and still will be a moment in time for most of us that made us happy, cry, and rage when someone was doing a damn Lerroy Jinkins and grabbing all the rikiti mobs!

And to capature that, for us and for you - is what makes this community great.

So thanks Devs, from myself personally, im glad COH is back - im home =)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hexapixel_alpha.png

Thanks for bringing it back.  If it crashes and burns tomorrow, if Monday comes and brings it all to an end, you guys did an incredible job.  I cannot thank you enough.

You caught lightning in a bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

Thank you.  A very big and heavy thanks to all those involved in everything positive that is surrounding this and coming from this.

I tried to stay away when I first heard the news.  A little bit afraid of NCSoft, I'll admit, but mostly afraid of . . . well . . .

There's a term in modern gaming parlance known as a "whale."  It refers to someone who sinks a tonne of money in to a game, compensating for the general lack of income flowing from some other players.  Generally, it's kind of not a label to aspire to have thrust upon you.  City of Heroes (and especially City of Villains) was a game that made a "whale" out of me.  At my peak, I had 8 active accounts and almost all of the add-ons purchased for each of them.  I even preordered two copies of City of Villains.  This game had a SERIOUS effect on me.

And that's why I tried to stay away.  I was afraid that if I started to play this that I'd become sucked right back in and lost in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles all over again.

But you know what?  I don't care about that.  I took my first taste, and I couldn't stay away.  This is just too great!

So, not to sound too much like a relapsed addict with their first fix after ten years, but it feels SOOOO good to be back.  I hope I never have to be afraid of losing it again.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Bless you all for this.

City of Heroes was my first MMO. I grew up rural, on dial up, and didn't take the plunge into MMOs until I was already out of College.

I was never the most fanatical player, but it was always there - especially when it went free to play. I supported the game, bought everything that came out gladly, even though I only managed one Level 50.

And since it's murder (let's call it what it was), I've missed it terribly. WoW got its talons into me for more years then I'm proud of, but Paragon City has always been my home. I'm looking forward to coming home again.

I started CoH about a month after it launched; a friend of mine was playing and kept bugging me, so I finally joined. It took about a month after that for him to get bored and bail out, but by that time, I'd made some other friends...friends that I played with every day until the game shut down.

My wife started playing. Pushing our first 50 ended with the two of us running 24 hours operations. I'd go to work, she'd log in. I'd come home and take over, she'd sleep. I'd sleep, she'd take back over.

Weird looking back on that, tbh.

Our son was born. Several of our COH friends sent care packages. His first three Halloween costumes were superheroes all given by his online uncle Attitank.

When he got older, we let him run around, fly, fight...just enjoy the map and "playing with mom and dad" By that time, we had multiple accounts and were running with the three of us and 1-3 more of our online friends.

When the game was killed, it was a huge loss. We would try other games, but CoH/V was ALWAYS home. We'd be fully back within a week or so.

None of the other games came close to creating the legacy of this game, and we've missed it.

So Devs..from my family to yours...thank you for bringing us home.

-Dracotn, Kadra, and son

• Like 1

You guys did a remarkable job not only with reviving the game, but with the speed you managed to communicate & solve problems as they popped up over the week.

I thought this game was dead last week, and now It's like I went in a time machine.

I played beta to close and this was the only mmo that ever really stuck.  A week did not go by and I played often with the guild or random pick up groups.  The people I played with often I kept in touch and even 4 years after the game closed I attended a wedding.  I hope to be able to play online with old guild mates and truly hope

the game comes back and later back into development.  My partner and I duo often.  This game has been about relations...  Thank you.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

When a 'corporation that shall not be named' wrongfully ended my ability to play CoH/CoV I was justifiably upset.

But now I can come back and enjoy the game once more.

If nothing else, you guys have given me some amount of 'closure'. I can only give you guys my thanks for this chance. But I hope that is enough.

Thank you.

Because I am hard you will not like me. But more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair...

~Gny. Sgt. Heartman, Full Metal Jacket

I am the 'Slow Moving Madness'. I am Wandering Mania.

I struggle to even find the words... 

I have missed this game so much and I never thought I would ever get to fly through Atlas Park again.  It makes me unfathomably happy and sad at the same time to do so today.

I was never a person to get deeply involved in forums or organizations.  I spent most of my time solo in CoX, with the occasional pug when the mood struck me, and an ton of time playing with the character creator.  But all the same, this game is very special to me and I was devastated by the loss.

I just want to give a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in this.  This means more to me than I can even begin to express.

Thank you to the people hosting and working on these servers.  Thank you to the moderators and everyone else doing their part to bring this project together.  I wish there was some way I could help or give back for all you are doing.

Thank you to the person who decided to release this code to the public.  Later is better than never and because of that decision I get to thump bad guys in Paragon City again.  It is a tremendous gift.

And last (but certainly NOT least) thank you CoX community for never letting go of the dream to get our home back, even after months turned into years.

P.S. that level up sound is GD glorious.

I had already posted this in a earlier post, but here's an abbreviated repost here.

First of all, many thanks to the people putting this all together. The past few days have been truly special because of you.

I started playing pre-release and didn't stop until the close. My son started playing with me when he was 9. He has since gone to college, graduated, attended the Police Academy and now works as a Sheriff's Deputy (Hell yeah, I'm proud). We still see each other every other Friday (our work schedules are completely opposite), usually for dinner and some talk time.

This past Friday we sat at his kitchen table and played CoH for 6 hours. It was grand and glorious, not unlike stepping into a time machine. We laughed and played our asses off.

Just like the old times...

Think we'll do it again soon, thanks to you guys. Like a lot of others have said, it was and is more than a game. It's friends, family and the community.

Thank you all so much for this!!

this feels like its has come full circle, however.

The Game Shut down three months after the very First Avengers movie opened, 

and now this gem comes to light a few days after the final chapter of the avengers' biggest story arc opens.

It just feels right. Infinite Thank Yous to all those involved. ill get to show my kid the game his old man spent hours on and he will get to experience it on his own!

I started playing a couple of months after launch.  I played until shutdown, /e torch in the ski lodge with game friends talking about what it would

be like without the game until forced disconnect.  I cried and my G/F at the time was thinking I lost my mind for crying over a game.

Thank you dev for bringing back our City and home.

I had never played an MMO before I played City of Heroes. I still remember seeing a tv commercial (yep) and I immediately went and told my husband (ex-husband now) "I want to play this game." So I went to WalMart at like 10:30pm and bought the game.

After installation he sat beside me showing me...how to move. Instructing me on how to talk to contacts etc. I was immediately hooked and played from that day in May 2004 until November 30, 2012.

I had many characters who were level 50+++. I made many friends along the way. I went from being a complete noob to a respected min/maxer who made builds for numerous friend's characters.

I remember when the announcement came... I was at work on lunch break scrolling through Facebook and there it was... the announcement I sat there dumbfounded and confused. I immediately texted my CoH friends and it was like telling them someone had died.

When I logged on that evening...the mood was somber...and eerily quiet. Immediately I saw friends leaving...out of anger and grief. The last time we all got together was for a 24 hour marathon for ExtraLife on 10/20/2012. After that people faded away....

I remember standing atop City Hall with a few friends...torches held...until we saw that prompt that we had been forcibly removed from the server at sunset. We sat on Skype talking for 4-5 hours about everything we had done in CoH.

We tried other games, but never found anything even remotely to our liking. We held out hope...as our lives changed. People got married, divorced, had children, and sadly a few have since passed away.

when I first logged back in to the first test server a few weeks ago...I just stood there staring at City Hall...remembering the friends from years ago and wishing that we could all be together again doing speed ITFs or iTrials.

Thank you for bringing this game back. It has brought back some sadness for those who have been lost...but it has also brought a lot of happiness and hope for things to come. You have given me back something I thought I would never have again...for that I have no words.

Blessed be.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for continuing to work on this classic game. It means a lot to me and i am committed to support your efforts in any way i can.

You folks are accruing an enormous amount of good karma.

There is also an immense amount of support out there for you all. I have the time to look around and see it.

I began playing this game soon after launch.  I've always loved superheroes and the idea of being able to make my own sucked me in.  I didn't even know what an MMO was and honestly, I was crap at it.  ;)  My computer at the time was a laptop that could just about run the game (with massive rubber-banding and low FPS) but I played relentlessly anyway. Was living in London in a shared flat with people I didn't know and it was a way to escape and actually meet and talk to people.  Because my toons were male, people treated me as male too which (long story short) helped me work out a lot of stuff that I was going through.  15 years later and I have fully transitioned, and while that probably would have happened anyway the community in CoX did a lot to give me the confidence to do it back then.

Amazingly, only 2 of my toons ever hit 50- my regen scrapper, Guide, and my emp/rad, Pink Champagne.  I remember logging in once with Pink during the first Rikti invasions, and collecting a group of low-level heroes in Atlas Park and trying to keep them all alive until it was over! 

I've played a lot of MMOs, some while CoX was still live and some after it was taken down.  Even after CoX went, though, I've thought about it a lot.  I still think it's the only create-your-own super hero game where I didn't feel like a pawn of some bigger hero or a nameless, pointless npc character of some kind.  It also has some pretty amazing storylines in it, which surprised me the first time round and still does now.  I think that's probably why this game has so many people who remember it fondly.  I also love seeing all the characters people make, and the costumes.  I used to spend a lot of time sitting on the bus shelter next to the trainer in Steel Canyon so I could people-watch and chat to my SG.

Still hoping to run into some old friends here at some point- but even if that never happens, it's amazing to see so many people online, enjoying the game all over again.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful game back.  I have so many happy memories with the game (along with wtf) running around as Dis.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the game and making new friends and foes.  What?  There are boots to be stolen  you know.

I've had two MMOs in my life that stuck with me and they are pretty much polar opposites - CoH and EVE-Online.  That CoH is back is quite amazing and I feel a sense of being 'home' when i am back in-game.  There are so many memories, even ones I didn't realise I had.  That sound of a glowy just around the corner, the sensation you get when a character first gets a travel power, venturing into a new zone for the 'first time', spending far too long working on a costume. 

::sigh::

I'm deeply grateful for a second chance at CoH no matter how long it lasts.

Thank you,

~~ Ssieth

~~ Ssieth

Wow where to start...

When I was 15 I started playing City of heroes, I am 29 now. I had just seen the Incredibles in theaters and was at the store and saw this pc game in a box, I had to beg my dad to get it, then give up 1 of my 2 monthly allowances to pay for the subscription

From the moment I logged on I could not play enough. I had never played an online game before, my PC could barely play games and I had to use my little bit of savings to buy a new graphics card as my internal couldn't play it.

For 8 years I played this game, I made friends online that I felt closer to then my friends in real life, I became the leader of a SuperGroup and had responsibilities in game, I stayed up til 2-3am most days, going to school at 8am the next day. It was grueling, but I loved this game so much I could not get enough no matter how bad I felt the next day when I got out I rushed home just to get on and play more. My cousin and my brother shared this experience, when we met in person we talked CoH, when we stayed over we brought our PCs, this game was my way to escape my problems from school, it was where I was cool, I was powerful, I had friends.

In 2012, they took it away from us.

Since then of course I moved on, never found a true MMO I liked again, some I played but I quit after a month or 2. Every week or 2 while talking to my cousin or brother (or while drunk) we would reminisce about the good ol' days, and wish for just 1 more day to go home.

This week, YOU....whoever all of you wonderful people are, brought back our home. I am not ashamed to say when I got in the game and saw other people around Ms. Liberty, gathered all around her I cried. I cried and called my cousin, I woke him up at 4am (when I found out about it) and he said "WHAT?! Like the real game not just CC????!" and he got up out of bed to download it, on a work day!

Thank you all so much, even if its not forever (tho I hope it is) it has meant the world to come back to City of Heroes, it made this week one of the best weeks of my life. I mean Endgame came out and helped too, but I seriously considered giving away my tickets to play more CoH

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, and my cousins, and my brother, and ALL of us from the CoH community.

Anything you need, any way we can get it to you, let us know, I don't know your faces but I freakin' love you all.