Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

I'm also a Beta person that played all through the years and a little after COV came out, I introduced my uncle to it and he took to it even harder than I did.  Having this back not only made me happy, it allowed me to share some amazing news with him and really make his day.  So, THANK YOU to everyone involved with bringing the city back!

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I first discovered City of Heroes a year after it came out. In fact, I joined during the 1 year anniversary event so Madam Enigma had the badge for that. The game was my first MMO, my first (and last) MMO addiction, and saw me through both good times and bad. Even though towards the end I wasn't playing anywhere near as much as I use to, I still greatly enjoyed City of Heroes and would keep my subscription active most months. It was a major part of my life during the last 20 years, and I was saddened to see it go. As well as angered about why and how it was shut down. So angry in fact, that I decided to boycott NCSoft even though they had published many MMOs which I had enjoyed a lot. And to this day I still wont touch anything with NCSoft's name on it.

For years I'd been wishing and hoping the game would resurface. But over time I gave up on that hope. So when a friend of mine pointed me in this direction yesterday, I was skeptical. And to be honest, a part of me wont believe it's true until I'm actually signing in and making a character. Even so, thank you to the people behind this resurrection of what is in my opinion the single greatest MMO ever. I can't wait (even though I'll have to) to start making new memories in Paragon and the Rogue Isles.

I played City for many years. I was initially hooked when I saw a friend playing it, and it looked cool. I asked them if i could try playing for a few minutes. Several hours later, they said they had to go to bed,and i would have to go...lol. it was after playing for a little while when i was asked to join The Earthguard, as Invisitron. I think the first  really cool event that comes to mind was when we started organizing the "Hammi" Raids for the server. I was asked to figure out how to work the healers groups so people would survive...it was exciting, terrifying, and eventually successful. I am glad that I have the opportunity to play once more. Many, many thanks!

Spinreaver (formerly known by many other handles both good and evil)

This game was my childhood. I grew up in a small town, home schooled, and with no friends. I owe this game so much more than I can ever repay because to me it was far more than a game. I created a universe. I created a world in which my characters lived. I started writing fiction to this game at a young age which started my love for writing which still lasts to this day. Through these stories I got in touch with other creative people at the CoH Writer's Guild, who were super supportive and fostered my creative side as a young kid. This game was a portal to an entirely different realm for me and through it I learned important lessons like commitment and determination, communication and teamwork. It was the essence of what every great game should be. Now, truthfully I haven't thought of this game in several years, but hearing that you all had put it back together got me so excited I became a bit emotional. Now my wife is all concerned that I'm staring teary-eyed at a download screen, but I look forward to exploring the city again with you all. Thank you.

I want to add my thanks to the team that got CoH back on its feet. I missed this game so much. I most certainly wasn't gonna play the other super heros mmo. While I love playing Dungeons and Dragons Online, there is not a game that was like City of Heros. It was easy to pick up and learn and provided tons of replay value. I know the whole team works on the game for the love of it so if I have any complaints they should be considered constructive criticism not that you are doing a bad job. This game is nearly how I remember it and so glad it was brought back to life

When I am good I am very good, when I am bad I am better

My wife and I ordered the game in it's first year. Played a LOT together. She had us make spreadsheets to track all our characters. We pre-orderd CoV when it came out and then life happened just before Rogue. We had to drop out and became inactive. Then just when we gathered some time to get back in we heard it was shutting down. Big blow to us as we had such fond memories of our time in the land of Heroes/Villains.

So from "Plasma Bomber & Italian Mind", "Shocking Change & Kina Jules", "Shorted Circuit & Mind Skull" and all our other aliases on Champion as well as other servers,

[move][glow=red,2,300]THANK YOU! :D THANK YOU! :) THANK YOU! :o THANK YOU! ;D THANK YOU! [/glow][/move]

I just want to say "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!! WE"  Thank you does not come close to the feelings of gratitude I have towards all of you devs and all those who fought for all these years to keep the dream alive.  I want you to know that I still have screenshots of every one of my 32 heroes and 20 villains... I cherish them still. No matter what happens from here on out.. I wish I could give you a million dollars or a million gifts for giving all of us back our REAL MMO home: City of Heroes... FOREVER.  This old beta tester who played the game until the end is more than grateful to you all. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't select a single favorite memory. I had too many. I can select the single hardest memory and that was the day it was all taken away. So to return to CoH/CoV has been bitter sweet at first, what was had that is gone still stings but not nearly as bad as it did with no where to go. I tried so many hero games and none of it measured up, none of it ever could to my mind. You have given so many of us our second home back and I can't Thank you enough.  Thank you feels like a brash understatement in a way because Paragon,Rogue Isles and Praetoria meant so much to so many of us and thanks to you it still does after all this time so again Thank you.

Favorite memories, showing up for rikti raids and hearing everyone say "yess a healer!" Running around at halloween and knocking on doors, getting my very first toon to 50 after six years of her sitting at 15.. the tears that fell on the day it closed, never has a game so drawn me in, daily my gaming partner and I would talk about the good times, and then it faded slowly as we thought nothing would ever come of it. It would never come back that feeling. Every other game fell short, nothing lived up to what we remembered of the game.

Coming back, well, we thought we had just built it up in our minds, but no it feels like coming home literally. So thank you for giving our gaming home back. It is surreal and absolutely wonderful to be back

City first released shortly after I first moved away from home to go to college. I picked it up just as I was starting out on my own, and it was there through some big life changes; school, pressure, employment... relationships.. and deaths.

The years went by, but City was always there if I needed to unwind.  If I needed to clear my head. If I wanted to indulge my imagination. If I couldn't sleep.

When I lost family.

When I needed fellowship.

And then it wasn't.

All the time I spent meticulously tweaking costumes, writing backstories, swapping stories, exploring every inch of content, collecting nearly every badge possible, building a sprawling 1-man base with a decade worth of solo effort.. all wiped away. We didn't just quit a game, where we could pick it back up again some day and our stuff would still be there; it was simply deleted despite thousands of heartfelt pleas and protests.

And for many long years it was simply gone.

But now its here again, all of it. More than before. Honestly I can't really express how much that means. Maybe I didn't really realize how much it meant.

Thank you

From a guy who played from Beta on, thanks for taking the risks that you did and all of the hard work put into the resurrection of the game. It's a fitting testament to the people that played this game over the years that some of the heroes were the ones that brought it back to life.

The guy that worked so hard in secret (to avoid legal problems) to bring the game back for EVERYONE has my eternal gratitude. He and his helpers love our city as much as we do, and that was his whole purpose for it all.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

A big thanks to the dev team. This was my family's favorite MMO of all time. I have an autistic son. This game really brings him out of his shell. He laughs and plays and loves to include everyone. It's something he loves to do with all of us. Thanks, folks :)

PS, if you see any of us (sg Justice on blue side or sg Injustice on red side), give us a shout and a wave :)

Thank you for bringing this back.

The last character I created for the live game was a Beam Rifle/Corruptor, but I didn't level her much as the game's shutdown was announced the next day and I didn't have much taste for continuing to play with the sword of Damocles over everyone's head.

Cosmic Greetings! (my first post on these forums). Thank you very much to everyone who put in all the awesome work to help bring back this nostalgia bomb. Alongside EQ1, it was one of my first full-featured MMO's that I played. And I played it a fairly decent amount. Even as other MMO's began to gain my interest, I would still come and go to CoH, up until its end. I've since played many other MMO's (was a very active part of the Marvel Heroes community, another game I had to see unfortunately end). Some WoW, ESO, FFXIV recently, numerous others along the way. Even Champions Online managed to snag my attention with their costume creator (particularly by adding raccoon costume parts one anniversary - they are my favorite animal). But now that I can literally play CoH and CO side by side, and not rely on imperfect memory, I can say I absolutely prefer the gameplay and enhancements of CoH! Much more. So much more that I am forsaking my ideal raccoon hero to play it, instead. That says a lot (although I'll see if I can get creative with what CoH has, maybe we can get the tiger stripe pattern on the wolf tails someday? A mask pattern for the monstrous heads? Heh)

Thank you for all the hard work that went into bring COH back. The flood of memories that came back during character creation and my first level up was nothing short of amazing. I so happy being able to play this again. Thanks again!!!

I would just like to say that after 7 years of waiting, I feel like I have come home to the one community I have ever found in MMO's that cares. Thanks guys, it was a long wait, but well worth it. If there was a way, I'd nominate everyone of you for Sainthood :)

I played the game from 2004 through early 2012.  By this time, my gaming group had moved to SWTOR, and I followed them.  I tried to stay in CoH alone, but there just wasn't time for 2 MMOs in my life.  In the ensuing months, the shutdown was announced, and I was faced with trying to spend time with friends where they were, or try to get in some game time in Paragon City before it left (presumably) for good.  I stayed with my friends, and that is my big regret.  Because, not long after that, they pretty much stopped gaming altogether, so I was left in SWTOR alone too.  I could have been playing somewhere I would have been much happier, on the whole, and felt like I had a chance to say a real good-bye. 

Now, I have my second chance, and I could not be happier, or more grateful!  Thanks guys!  You gave this old gamer another chance to play the only game that ever really mattered to me, before or since.

What was no more, is REBORN!

I remember early in the games "Live" state, I had a level 38 Force Defender.  Now and then, I would go to Perez Park, Force Bubble up, and gather HUNDREDS of Hellions.  I would announce in broadcast as a warning, where I was bringing them all.  And there would be 20+ heroes sitting there waiting.

Mostly lowbies, but also quite a few high levels, just sitting around buffing the lowbies up. 

I would then drag them over to that spot, and an all out war between Hellions, and Heroes would burst out.  I would sit there bubbling heroes to my best ability.  I'd see high level empaths healing everyone.  And all the lowbies just blowing Hellions to pieces.  There were casualties now and then, but they got back up, and went back to the battle!  Seeing so many people helping lowbies, and just seeing this massive chaotic war was something I've never seen before.

Then one day, a GM came along.  And slapped my wrist telling me to never do it again.  (I'm assuming it was the guy who jumped in the middle of the group as I was pulling them all to the spot, and AoE'd them.  They insta died, then complained to me)

What was really funny, was all the Heroes, high and low, started yelling at the GM.  About how great of a time they were having, and he should bugger off.  The GM then used some ability that immobilized everyone.  Then told me that he would ban me unless I got everyone under control.  I was a kid back then, so I was panicked, and asked everyone to chill.

It is one of my favorite video game memories to this day though!