Adaptation: An Idea for the Sentinel Inherent

15 hours ago, MTeague said:

I actually prefer clicky status protection, because it can STACK. Toggle on a status protection and that's your status protection, for the duration the toggle is on. Click protection and if it comes back fast enough you can have double the status protection for a significant period of time. Can be very nice against a massed group of mobs that like to use Holds / Sleeps / etc.

Is there a slight DPS loss because of Practiced Brawler firing? Yea, maybe. Have I ever noticed or cared? Nope.

But, your mileage may vary. 

To the original idea.  Debuffing them to only your primary method of attack... makes Sentinels less team-friendly. Right now everyone who shoots it benefits from the -RES a Sent applies. Now if you want to do a large debuff to a damage type ON TOP OF what teams already benefit from, sure. Still. I do like the idea of not having it married to the T1 or T2 power, I do like the idea of triggering it when is tactically best for me. 

LOL thanks for the counterweight, because I was really hoping clickies weren't carte blanche unpopular. Seems I wasn't alone. That doesn't make it correct, just adds necessary nuance for the discussion.

As for the debuff, you raise an interesting point, similar to Wavicle's. Perhaps it really should just be a blanket -RES, rather than be something unique to the Sentinel's own damage type. Because of you two I'm starting to see that as a flaw in my original idea. Although I could also get behind it giving a slight bonus -RES based on your own damage type for flavor. That could be a compromise of sorts. But I'm coming around to the blanket -RES idea. It's simpler, more effective in more situations, and easier to wrap your head around. Hard to argue against those.

To me a Sentinel is like a guard or someone standing watch, guarding an area.

Maybe if they have a movable AoE that they can place, maybe similar to faraday cage or even starts when they stop moving for x seconds and stand still. This could apply all sorts of buffs/debuffs to that area and would be fitting to the Sentinel name. At least their armor would get tested more this way as they would need to be  close to mobs for the AoE.

Edited by Gobbledegook

So what if we keep it simple and just say that Sentinels get an inherent that (with each attack in its primary) lowers the targets defense and resistance by some small amount that stacks and lasts a moderate amount of time to allow for the possibility of stacking larger amounts on harder targets.

Like -0.5% defense to all and -1% resistance to all for 60 seconds. Per attack. Edit: Could even make it ignore resistance to those debuffs, perhaps. (Though idk if that would work for -res mechanically, I do know it works for -def)

THEN they get a clicky to double this affect on a single target (thus putting the reticle on them like it does now) that they can use once their bar is full. Just like now each attack would build that bar.

Numbers could be adjusted to keep it from being OP or too weak. Just sample numbers. But I think it would fit the theme of the more a sentinel attacks a target the more and more effective they become.

Edited by th0ughtGun

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

• 1 month later
  • Developer

*peeks*

• Thumbs Up 1

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

4 hours ago, The Caretaker said:

*peeks*

I assume there are currently some considerations with regards to addressing the Sentinel Inherent?

EDIT: Would something like what I suggested earlier work?

Edited by th0ughtGun

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

While I'd love to see a new inherent for Sentinels.  What I want is something not tied to the 1st and 2nd attacks.  Unless it's combining them so you get both offensive and defensive but it's all triggered together by the 1st and/or 2nd attack.

A little more ST damage would be nice for it though. 🙂

You know, Sentinel is a solo class, that has trouble bringing something to teams.  Maybe we should compare it to Defender, a team class that needed a leg up when soloing?

Watchful Guardian:  When teaming, your presence helps guard allies, giving them a minor bonus to resistance.  When solo, you're able to focus more attention to your own protection, instead granting yourself an increased bonus to resistance.

I figure we'll raise Res instead of something else, because damage would contribute too much to more steamrolling,  and Def can get too pointless at endgame.  Plus it aids in solo power, WITHOUT stepping on Blaster's toes.

Edited by Menelruin

On 3/11/2022 at 7:45 AM, Menelruin said:

You know, Sentinel is a solo class, that has trouble bringing something to teams.  Maybe we should compare it to Defender, a team class that needed a leg up when soloing?

Watchful Guardian:  When teaming, your presence helps guard allies, giving them a minor bonus to resistance.  When solo, you're able to focus more attention to your own protection, instead granting yourself an increased bonus to resistance.

I figure we'll raise Res instead of something else, because damage would contribute too much to more steamrolling,  and Def can get too pointless at endgame.  Plus it aids in solo power, WITHOUT stepping on Blaster's toes.

+1% to Resist per teammate (not including self), up to 5%, for whole team.  Chance for -15% Resist with every attack.  Chance for +5% Heal with every attack.

Gives a team buff and does some -Resist on targets for the whole team!