Evidence that the Best Computer OS Exists in Praetoria

Apparition

They may have the best OS but they're still sending out free CDs, how archaic is that?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Ahh 140p objects hurt my eyes!

Yeah, the various 140p objects in the game are the most obvious dated aspect of it IMO.  Although it’s fun to see what you can make out of them, like the magazine in the first post.

10 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

They may have the best OS but they're still sending out free CDs, how archaic is that?

Heh, I thought the same thing.  I miss the days of receiving my monthly issues of Maximum PC and PC Gamer magazines in the mail, each with a CD-ROM enclosed.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:49 PM, Apparition said:

Found on a desk in the Imperial City Trading House:

255674758_Image016.png.4a2d3718b485d13640b4f4168ed6f2dc.png

I knew that Praetorians had good taste and couldn't all be using Microsoft Windows XP in 2022.

IIRC, these are the same magazines you see on the tables in the entry room of the Terra Volta reactor building.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:37 PM, Apparition said:

I miss the days of receiving my monthly issues of Maximum PC and PC Gamer magazines in the mail, each with a CD-ROM enclosed.

I used to subscribe to Boot Magazine - the predecessor to Maximum PC.  My problem was when the mail carrier broke the CD trying to stuff the magazine in the mail slot.

I was also on Q-Link - the predecessor to AOL.  Back in my Commodore 128 daze.  300 baud modems were it back then, and floppy drives, Monochrome and CGA Monitors.  This was before mice were invented.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Rishidian said:

I used to subscribe to Boot Magazine - the predecessor to Maximum PC.  My problem was when the mail carrier broke the CD trying to stuff the magazine in the mail slot.

I was also on Q-Link - the predecessor to AOL.  Back in my Commodore 128 daze.  300 baud modems were it back then, and floppy drives, Monochrome and CGA Monitors.  This was before mice were invented.

If they broke the CDs getting them into your mail slot, I can't imagine how badly they mangled a modem trying to get it in there.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

18 hours ago, Rishidian said:

Back in my Commodore 128 daze.  300 baud modems were it back then, and floppy drives, Monochrome and CGA Monitors.  This was before mice were invented.

Nice callback...right there with you, but in 1982 had a Commodore 64, with a cassette tape drive, connected to a 9" b/w TV.  Took over 20 minutes to load the Chess Challenger game (Sargon-something), LOL.

Edited by PLVRIZR
reworded

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present