Remember sunday night TV

wjrasmussen

I used to love hearing this theme song as a young kid.  The parent units loved McCloud, and liked Columbo and McMillan & Wife.  I don't remember ever hearing of Hec Ramsey, but as it was played by Richard Boone (of Paladin fame) it probably was good, though I suspect short-lived.

Maybe two years ago I watched an episode of McMillan & Wife and was stunned to realize the episode was a solid 90-minutes.  I'm guessing 30 minutes of commercials to accompany it.  Pacing was a bit slower back then, it seems, though I didn't remember that.  I suspect a good, modern editor could get a solid 60-minute cut that would keep things moving and not have to lose anything important.  (Actually, I've wished this for classic Doctor Who as well.  Cut out a lot of that dead space, and leave a pithy, snappy episode.)

I grew up in the 80's, and my TV was late Saturday nights/early Sunday morning, when Channel 13 would run Black Belt Theatre (or it might have been called Kung-Fu theatre.  My foggy old brain doesn't recall precisely any more)- various old kung-fu movies that my friends and I absolutely loved.

Shaolin and Ninjas were all the rage back then.  Every kid wanted to be a ninja.  😁

BBC and ITV Sunday nights were always old folks' comedy, followed by fancy dramas or murder mysteries. The new Branagh Poirot movies seem to be a high-end version of those, with just a scattering of added Hollywood glitter among the roll-call of Brit stalwarts.

Not that that's a bad thing, mind.

There were some odd and/or ridiculous offerings too: for those who've come to know him as a gunfighter or a god, I give you a young Ian McShane as crimefighting antiques dealer, part-time conman/forger and all-round lovable rogue Lovejoy.

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 4 weeks later
1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

I didn't know anyone else knew Lovejoy existed.

As a kid I religiously watched Sherlock Holmes every Sunday evening on A&E, and Lovejoy came on right after. It took me a little while to start watching Lovejoy, but once I realized that it was not only a good excuse to stay up an hour later, but also a fantastic show, I was hooked. I recently bought the series on DVD and am slowly convincing my wife to watch it with me.