Strength of Will

52 minutes ago, Uun said:

SoW has a 2 minute duration and a 5 minute recharge (unenhanceable). RoP has a 1 minute duration and a 3 minute recharge (unenhanceable). As I said, this gives SoW 40% uptime and RoP 33% uptime. Comparing the fully enhanced tank values, SoW provides 39% S/L and 19.5% non-S/L resistance, while RoP provides 29.25% resistance to all. If you're also taking Tough, you're at 70.2% S/L before using either (ignoring set bonuses) and the extra S/L resistance in SoW is superfluous. SoW also has a recovery buff, which WP doesn't really need, and repel protection, which is of pretty limited use. RoP has no endurance crash. Both have KB and mezz protection. If you're using either in an "oh shit" context, the question is whether you need more than 1 minute.

You’re still comparing things in a vacuum by not considering how the entire set and entire power pool are functioning together / performing. SoW needing a buff requires WP needing a buff, and it looks like many are skeptical on that front.

49 minutes ago, arcane said:

You’re still comparing things in a vacuum by not considering how the entire set and entire power pool are functioning together / performing. SoW needing a buff requires WP needing a buff, and it looks like many are skeptical on that front.

Would this proposal actually change anything in WP? barely. It just makes more sense to have a T9 that covers the weakness of the Set and S/L is not a weakness the more exotic damage types are. Yes WP has defences but with very little DDR. I see it more as a quality of life and not a completely outrageous suggestion 😛

Adding some DDR to SoW whilst activated would be nice also lol.

I have played pretty much every AT and set in this game. I main tankers mostly and i have a pretty good comparison to draw from.

Personally I'm against any buff to Willpower.

I have a Willpower tank and several Willpower scrappers. It appears to me that the design intention for Willpower is "the set that's fairly tough without the player having to do anything." Along with "a Tier-9 that's helpful but not overpowered and can't be made perma." And in that it succeeds quite well.

It has a few weaknesses that are easily covered with Inspirations and/or pool powers. Sure it's not Granite, and I don't believe that it's intended to be. I think that it's intended to be the fixed regen and/or other unspecified toughness that doesn't really cause FX.

Honestly I think that Willpower is one of the few sets that shouldn't be touched at all because it's exactly where it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

58 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Would this proposal actually change anything in WP? barely. It just makes more sense to have a T9 that covers the weakness of the Set and S/L is not a weakness the more exotic damage types are. Yes WP has defences but with very little DDR. I see it more as a quality of life and not a completely outrageous suggestion 😛

Adding some DDR to SoW whilst activated would be nice also lol.

I have played pretty much every AT and set in this game. I main tankers mostly and i have a pretty good comparison to draw from.

That's the thing, though: do armor sets need even more QoL? Some might but overall, armor sets tend to add so much mitigation to stack, it's hardly needed. I'm not arguing against the suggestion, btw.

And if WP's tier 9 needs QoL, you're just opening the gate for other sets too. Most players don't even take or actively use the capstone armor power... It's mostly just fluff or insurance at a cost. As is, WP's tier 9 is a partial crash one that is supposed to be mild (buff and crash) with the stipulation that it can't be enhanced for recharge. If we start prodding the armor sets (stone armor kind of could be held as an example), I'd be interested to see how the sets turn out but likely would dread the possibility of power creep.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Strength of Will... It's just not perfect... Which is normal!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

I appreciate and respect your stance on this @Naraka 🙂

Respect? ~belch~

I want anger and avarice. I can't advance in the ranks of hell with respect...

But on the other hand, lowering or even removing the resist to smashing/lethal to replace with debuff resist or exotic resist could be a prospect...maybe with the position of making it a mind-over matter kind of concept that has higher energy resists or a Chi-like concept to overcome fire and cold instead but leaving the set still vulnerable and not perfect.

All in all, having holes in armor sets is likely the only remaining defining feature of them beyond being resist focused or defense focused or hybrid. 

14 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

And on that point, here's a comparable build ON COMMON IOs.

StatComparison-WP-CommonIO.thumb.jpg.c2ad343c7c6b7b7a7cb622582b939a1d.jpg

Sure, the AMOUNT given to the less common damage types is smaller.
But ENFC Resists NEARLY TRIPLE.

What I get from looking at these number is "If you want an emergency button, you'd be better off taking Rune of Power than Strength of Will"

4 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

What I get from looking at these number is "If you want an emergency button, you'd be better off taking Rune of Power than Strength of Will"

If all you care about is the raw +Resist?  Sure.

As noted, ROP requires more power picks.  It also really gives you nothing besides some Resist and status resistance that really isn't all that useful to a Tank.
Whereas SOW also comes with a Recovery buff, and on a modern build, this allows you to attack like a crack-addled murder bunny without having to even think about the 50% end crash when the timer ends.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

13 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Personally I'm against any buff to Willpower.

I have a Willpower tank and several Willpower scrappers. It appears to me that the design intention for Willpower is "the set that's fairly tough without the player having to do anything." Along with "a Tier-9 that's helpful but not overpowered and can't be made perma." And in that it succeeds quite well.

It has a few weaknesses that are easily covered with Inspirations and/or pool powers. Sure it's not Granite, and I don't believe that it's intended to be. I think that it's intended to be the fixed regen and/or other unspecified toughness that doesn't really cause FX.

Honestly I think that Willpower is one of the few sets that shouldn't be touched at all because it's exactly where it should be.

Yeah, mark me down WP at the bottom for needing any balance pass for T9. 

Yeah SOW resists are dumb in that it doesn't really need S/L unless you are skipping tough ... but most T9s only add more of what that set is already good at as well.  

• Like 1

Just because you are over the cap, doesn’t mean it’s waste. It increases your -res debuff resistance the higher your resist is and IIRC the number it uses to calc this is the actual number and not the capped number. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I am wrong. I think it calculates off of your caped resistance but subtracts it from what you have over the cap, so it would take a very large -res debuff to take you below the S/L cap if you had say 100% resistance to S/L. So still not entirely wasted. 

Either way, Willpower doesn't need help. 

Edited by Marbing
  • Like 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)