Custom EXP rates for players who use 'noxp'

As I've stated in the past, I use the 'noxp' option frequently. I have it in my main popmenu of useful commands. I don't need a reward or a bonus for using it. The bonus I get is that I don't outlevel content that I want to experience 'at level' and I can spend as long as I want in 'comfy' exp ranges(like 24-29... endless Tsoo sorcerers in Talos!) I feel quite confident in saying that I shed FAR more experience than I actually gain. I don't farm. I don't powerlevel at all. I pay for all my enhancements by crafting and marketing.

I recently made a new staff scrapper. Since I already have a staff scrapper at 50, I decided to try to spend as much time as I could with experience enabled, just to see if I could endure the free-fall.

I can't. I still find myself turning noxp on ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME! ("23? I haven't even trained 22 yet! The actual @#$#!")

The sensation of using it is rather like riding in a car with someone who likes to slam on the breaks. I feels very 'jerky' and 'stop and go' to do it that way.

Please let me suggest the following custom experience rates. These can be duplicates of the existing temp powers, simply with a fractional multiplier:

"Steady on, Pardner..." -- .75 * normal experience. This would be nice to use on taskforces you *want* to level on, or with characters that tend to level somewhat slower... like my controllers. Duration: 1 day unless deleted. Flavor Text: "Whoa there, Pardner! Enjoy the scenery a little, why don't ya?"

"Spirit of the Tortoise" -- .50 * normal experience.  I would use this mostly on the 40-50 level range, when exp has slowed a bit, but those long missions tend to level me  anyway. Duration: 7 days unless deleted. Flavor Text: "Slow and sure wins the race."

"Fury of the Rampaging, Super-intelligent Snail Encased in Tungsten" -- .25 * normal experience. This would probably be my default experience rate on scrappers. Duration: 30 days unless deleted. Flavor Text: "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

"Unsafe at Any Speed" -- .10 * normal experience. Duration: 30 days unless deleted. This is how I would play blasters. Duration: 30 days unless deleted. Flavor Text: "Speed Kills, but then so do you."

"Welcome to the Department of Motor Vehicles" -- .05 * normal experience. Duration: 30 days unless deleted. This is the rate I'd use when working on 'defeat x' badges. Flavor Text: "You.... got.... some....thing.... against.... .... Sloths.... ?.... Well.... do.... ..... ya.... ?!"

Having these available would significantly increase the quality and enjoyment of my gameplay. So, please consider adding these temps to our favorite p2w vendors... but at your own speed. ^_^

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpg.cc577c864c6fb9201355c72fccc1623e.jpg

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

You could just level normally and the content you missed go back and do Obo.

Just a suggestion, I'm indifferent either way.

And it's a reasonable suggestion, but has some important caveats:

a) You are *much* more powerful exemplared down to do content than you are if you do it 'at level'. Ideally, you can use the difficulty options to tailor it to your preferred difficulty level, but you only get one chance to do it as your character is  levelling normally, with a limited number of slots and power selections.

b) As wonderful as Ouroboros truly is, you tend to be stuck soloing flashback content. If you want a team, you have to recruit teams ahead of time, as you do with taskforces, but without the benefit of badges, accolade progress, or WST bonuses to help entice players. There's no option to 'recruit as you go', which seems essential for longer arcs when many players consider the revamped Positron TFs to be 'long and boring'. (Devs, I'd LOVE to see this limitation removed from Ouro!)

Frankly, it's so much easier to hit that noxp button and recruit for arcs you want to do or to jump on someone else's team than it is to recruit for Ouro arcs.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I got a kick out of your proposed xp rate descriptions, this probably won't happen. This is just me, but when I turn off xp, I leave it off until all content I want to do in the range is done and I've managed to get enough enhancements to feel ready to face the next level. Then I have the repeatables like tips to level me out of the range afterwards. So this feels less like riding in a car with someone who likes to step on the brakes to me, and more like pulling into a scenic area and taking the time to look around before driving on.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add missing "t" to "the" in "on the brakes".
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

You could just level normally and the content you missed go back and do Obo.

There's a lot of content that can't actually be done in Ouroboros, though, or which won't be acknowledged as "done" properly after completion if you do it that way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Yeah I see zero practical utility for this whatsoever. No one is forcing you to level too fast when the no xp button is right there. What purpose does this serve?

A few different practical purposes, (and I do indeed mash that button like a youtuber fangirl), but the big one is: It's not easy to keep an eye on the exp bar all the time. As Rudra said, they turn off the exp until they're done and then turn it back on and rely on repeatables to level them. That's more or less what I have to do. Even then, I'm a bit absent-minded and clumsy. I've missed it a few times when I just didn't expect to level so quickly and missed a window of opportunity or realized that I missed something I planned on after having turned it back on. Having even one of these temp powers available would give me a bit more leeway in that regard.

It's that stress, the feeling of constantly double-checking myself, that degrades my enjoyment.

You might as well ask what the practical utility is of leveling at all, if everyone farms their way to 50 and then does flashback content, or of having the existing increased XP temps at p2w when we could all be leveling at the 2xp rate. We all enjoy the game in our own, sometimes subtly different ways. This would make *my* way more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Lazarillo said:

There's a lot of content that can't actually be done in Ouroboros, though, or which won't be acknowledged as "done" properly after completion if you do it that way.

Speaking of... can we get Hardcase's magic box mission added to Ouroboros please? I'd like to renew my Wailer Queens! 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that's probably too many options - but having them match the XP boosts (100%, 50% and 25%) would probably work just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

A slightly different option that I would find useful on those characters I am trying to do 'at level' content with, is a button that would allow you to gain xp (at whatever rate you have set) but only to 1 short of dinging the next level. A more fancy version would allow you to set a target level so that you could gain xp normally until you get to 1xp short of that particular level. The number of times I have accidentally blown past the #4 or #9 level I was intending to park at to complete content...

I doubt such a thing would be possible or even particularly worth doing but it struck me as a nice idea.

Edited by Parabola
  • Like 1

I like the names you gave the different levels of xp. Well done. 

Other than that, as creative as this idea is, I don't see it being implemented because the benefit may not outweigh the means, and the solution you propose doesn't solve a problem very many players have. At least that I have seen.

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)