Being the ultimate team player!

Hi there, I'm Blake.

I'm starting this conversation from scratch. I've been fortunate enough to get advice on various builds, powerset combos, etc. from many people on these forums or in the discord. However, I simply cannot seem to find a setup that makes me really happy. So, I figured I'd reverse engineer this. If I can more-or-less articulate what it is I want to be able to do, I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down what powerset conversations (and even archetype, for that matter) accomplish my goals. Any help or support would be incredibly helpful.

Overarching concept:

I am a pure team-player. I never, ever solo. I am looking to create the ultimate team-oriented toon that makes everyone want me to join them for missions, TFs, ITFs, etc. As far as how I want to help my team, there are a few things that come to mind.

• Debuffing over Buffing
  • But I don't mind buffing (I prefer targeted that have an AoE component like Glacial Shields or even Speed Boost, over buffs like Accelerate Metabolism and Overgrowth)
  • I don't particularly love anchors, but can manage with 1 or maybe 2
  • Damage is a nice-to-have, but not at all a priority.

In essence, here's how I'd stackrank the importance of elements of this character:

1. Debuffing Power (-res, -regen, -tohit, etc.)

2. CC Power (stuns, holds, knockdowns)

3. Mid-level Maintenance (i.e. I don't want to be pressing CM every 2 seconds, on every person, every minute)

4. Damage (would like to contribute in some way, but certainly not a focal point of the character)

5. Clear position. By this I mean I would love to either be a fully PBAoE setup, or accomplish 95% of what I want from range. As an example, I think of Poison as a PBAoE set, and TA as a range set, and would like to compliment them with sets that match.

6. Buffing Power (if it accomplishes everything else here and has buffs, great). I just don't love trying to herd the team every time I need to cast a PBAoE buff.

I'm leaning towards Controller or Defender to accomplish this. 

As another general rule, I'm more interested in shutting down an entire group of baddies, rather than being a ST debuff machine... but I would like to be useful in killing AVs when needed, even if it's not what the character is specifically designed to do. 

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this ❤️

EDIT: I don't know if people get notified when the OP makes an edit to their post, but wanted to share an update with you all. For starters, thank you SO much for the amount of responses/feedback/ideas/guidance I got. I expected 1-2 responses, and certainly was overwhelmed with people that took the time to read my post provide their opinions and help me get closer to a toon that fits my goals. 

In short, while I saw/read a bunch of cool ideas, I've settled on three characters that I'm going to level and see which one I simply enjoy playing the most. Here they are:

Ice/Poison Controller
Elec/Elec Defender
Plant/TA Controller

I'm very excited to see which one lands best (or who knows, maybe I love all 3!), but I do plan to update again when I have more concrete info. I'll continue to pop into this thread to see any last responses and opinions though! So feel free to keep sharing stuff!

Edited by purplereign
update!
  • Like 2

Primarily debuffs, with some AoE buffing, and no anchors.

You're looking at Thermal Radiation or Cold Domination.  Both will do what you want just fine.  Just Thermal gives +res buffs while Cold gives +def buffs.  Personally, I'd value +res more because there's +def buffs out the wazoo normally.  Thermal's first power is a PBAoE heal, but it's minor, and more useful for yourself IMO.  Everything else is ranged.

Now as to the damage power set... Water and Electrical are both terrific for AoE damage, meh single target.  Beam Rifle is terrific for single target damage, meh at AoE damage, but increases your -regen and -res.  Dark Blast is decent at single target damage, meh at AoE damage, but you'll be adding a bunch of -to-hit debuffs to help keep your teammates safe.  Personally, I'd recommend Corruptor over Defender, as you'll do more damage, and the differences between Defender and Corruptor as far as debuff values are largely overkill.

If you want to shut down groups of baddies and be useful in killing AVs, your best bets would be either Fire Control or Illusion Control for Controllers.  

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Makobola said:

Looks like a Water/Cold Corrupter might fit your needs pretty well, AoE knockdowns, good debuffs and buffs with cold, and overall pretty strong for taking out enemy groups

Thank you! I actually have an Ice/Cold Corr and it does a billion damage... but this feels a bit too damage-centric and less support/CC than I think I'd get from playing a Defender or Troller. The AoE kd on Water isn't one I thought too much about.

6 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Primarily debuffs, with some AoE buffing, and no anchors.

You're looking at Thermal Radiation or Cold Domination.  Both will do what you want just fine.  Just Thermal gives +res buffs while Cold gives +def buffs.  Personally, I'd value +res more because there's +def buffs out the wazoo normally.  Thermal's first power is a PBAoE heal, but it's minor, and more useful for yourself IMO.  Everything else is ranged.

Now as to the damage power set... Water and Electrical are both terrific for AoE damage, meh single target.  Beam Rifle is terrific for single target damage, meh at AoE damage, but increases your -regen and -res.  Dark Blast is decent at single target damage, meh at AoE damage, but you'll be adding a bunch of -to-hit debuffs to help keep your teammates safe.  Personally, I'd recommend Corruptor over Defender, as you'll do more damage, and the differences between Defender and Corruptor as far as debuff values are largely overkill.

If you want to shut down groups of baddies and be useful in killing AVs, your best bets would be either Fire Control or Illusion Control for Controllers.  

Appreciate the recommendations! I'm still in favor of Def over Corrupter because the debuffing numbers feel pretty substantial to me and that's the primary focus of my build. Damage much less.

Thermal and Cold are great recommendations and ones I've thought quite extensively about. I've heard there's a top notch Thermal/Ice build floating around but I haven't found it yet. I've been keen on Electric Blast since the rework and think it would be fun. Cold/Water seems like it could be pretty insane considering the combo of sleet (and it's multitude of proc opportunities) + Whirlpool.

I'm now wondering if Debuff and CC are my top two priorities, if Controller is simply the best option. I could go /Cold or /Thermal for the reasons you're listing, and would just need to pick a good pairing for it. Fire/Cold seems like it could be pretty darn good. Same with Fire/Thermal. I have a Fire/Dark Troller right now, but it's only 36.

For my inf I'd prioritize -res and -tohit.  Honestly +res, +def, +tohit are generally overkill on a team unless you are running a low level TF/SF or team.  Also if we can squeeze in a smidge of -regen that is even better.  If you can stand the sound (or like me play with sound turned off) Sonic/Dark corruptor is a beast.  You get the big 3 (-res, -tohit, and -regen) a little bit of -rech.  And all that with just your normal damage attacks so no real need to do anything special.  One of the best soft controls in the game (fear) along with an awesome AoE rez that can save the day all day.  Can't go wrong with that setup.  Solos nicely (I know OP said not a concern but still) and on a team everyone will be wondering why stuff just melts after you attack it.  Even +4s go down faster with this setup.

Edited by iBot
spez

Electric/Electric defender. It's not exactly what you asked for, but...

You provide heals/end/tohit/damage/absorb and some of the best if not the best status protection in the game.

You also inflict -damage and end drain on the mobs. Given defender modifiers, you can drain most mobs, Malta sappers being a notable exception, one short circuit.

I can drain +3 EB in 2-3 shots for instance.

Edited by KaizenSoze
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, iBot said:

For my inf I'd prioritize -res and -tohit.  Honestly +res, +def, +tohit are generally overkill on a team unless you are running a low level TF/SF or team.  Also if we can squeeze in a smidge of -regen that is even better.  If you can stand the sound (or like me play with sound turned off) Sonic/Dark corruptor is a beast.  You get the big 3 (-res, -tohit, and -regen) a little bit of -rech.  And all that with just your normal damage attacks so no real need to do anything special.  One of the best soft controls in the game (fear) along with an awesome AoE rez that can save the day all day.  Can't go wrong with that setup.  Solos nicely (I know OP said not a concern but still) and on a team everyone will be wondering why stuff just melts after you attack it.  Even +4s go down faster with this setup.

It's funny you say that, my current main is a Dark/Sonic defender. I def feel like my team does more damage and the emphasis on -tohit is substantial, but I feel like I'm lacking CC in some capacity. I played it for a while, but no longer fun for me. As weird as that sounds.

I think, as an alternative, if I did something like Earth/Dark where I can have the hard CC + the debuffing, is kinda more in line with what I'm looking to accomplish. I don't think there are direct synergies between Earth/Dark, but that's the idea more or less.

3 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Electric/Electric defender.

You provide heals/end/tohit/damage/absorb and some of the best if not the best status protection in the game.

You also inflict -damage and end drain on the mobs. Given defender modifiers, you can drain most mobs, Malta sappers being a notable exception, one short circuit.

I can drain +3 EB in 2-3 shots for instance.

I've been thinking about Elec/Elec quite a bit. My only concern is how much maintenance this is. It feels like you need to be spamming stuff pretty frequently to maintain their presence. Does that feel accurate? 

3 minutes ago, purplereign said:

It's funny you say that, my current main is a Dark/Sonic defender. I def feel like my team does more damage and the emphasis on -tohit is substantial, but I feel like I'm lacking CC in some capacity. I played it for a while, but no longer fun for me. As weird as that sounds.

Not weird at all.  And that is why I suggested corruptor over the defender version.  The dark blast version is different from the dark miasma version.  The secondary has the same powers as the controller version.  Plus you get tar patch which is great for when you don't want things running/jumping/flying away from the group.

Earth/Dark is solid as well.  However, earth is -def which is not nearly as powerful as -res.  But as with all things in this game, it all works out in the end.

11 minutes ago, purplereign said:

I've been thinking about Elec/Elec quite a bit. My only concern is how much maintenance this is. It feels like you need to be spamming stuff pretty frequently to maintain their presence. Does that feel accurate? 

I drop Faraday Cage for each fight. Then the buff cycle, but if you see that everyone has plenty of end and absorb, then I don't feel it's required to buff the team each group.

Honestly, sometimes it's busy as hell. If the group is very squishy, you'll be working your butt off.

But you'll always be in the center of the action and tougher it gets the more it feels like you're the reason the group is still standing.

Rotation is usually: Faraday Cage->Short Circuit->Ball Lighting, check team status. 

I do have some binds to work most of time to make buffing make easier.

Edited by KaizenSoze
Brain fart, Farday cage not Tesla
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, purplereign said:

I'm now wondering if Debuff and CC are my top two priorities, if Controller is simply the best option. I could go /Cold or /Thermal for the reasons you're listing, and would just need to pick a good pairing for it. Fire/Cold seems like it could be pretty darn good. Same with Fire/Thermal. I have a Fire/Dark Troller right now, but it's only 36.

It's sounding like you want a Controller, so I'd go with Fire/Thermal.  It'd be very thematic and extremely effective.  If you want to go all in on the debuffing angle, there'd also be Dark/Thermal Corruptor.  Not as thematic nor as heavy hitting, but very safe and very supporty.

43 minutes ago, iBot said:

Not weird at all.  And that is why I suggested corruptor over the defender version.  The dark blast version is different from the dark miasma version.  The secondary has the same powers as the controller version.  Plus you get tar patch which is great for when you don't want things running/jumping/flying away from the group.

Earth/Dark is solid as well.  However, earth is -def which is not nearly as powerful as -res.  But as with all things in this game, it all works out in the end.

Haha Earth/Dark was just a totally random pairing I used to illustrate the point. I appreciate the input, though! Not sure I'd find myself going Corr for a heavy support build though, despite the great points made in how much they contribute. 

Edited by purplereign

41 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

I drop Faraday Cage for each fight. Then the buff cycle, but if you see that everyone has plenty of end and absorb, then I don't feel it's required to buff the team each group.

Honestly, sometimes it's busy as hell. If the group is very squishy, you'll be working your butt off.

But you'll always be in the center of the action and tougher it gets the more it feels like you're the reason the group is still standing.

Rotation is usually: Faraday Cage->Short Circuit->Ball Lighting, check team status. 

I do have some binds to work most of time to make buffing make easier.

Oo this is interesting! The macros make a lot of sense. I love EA on paper, but I haven't found myself really trying to play it much. Maybe I bite the bullet and level one past 15 to determine if it's one I like. 

Appreciate the opening rotation, too. I need to give this build more time.

19 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It's sounding like you want a Controller, so I'd go with Fire/Thermal.  It'd be very thematic and extremely effective.  If you want to go all in on the debuffing angle, there'd also be Dark/Thermal Corruptor.  Not as thematic nor as heavy hitting, but very safe and very supporty.

Fire/Thermal sounds interesting! Good mix of utility, solid debuffing, solid CC'ing, and Fire just does soooo much damage.

As a total curveball, what do you think of Plant/?

I've read some general posts about Plant/Storm, Plant/Kin, and Plant/TA

2 minutes ago, purplereign said:

Oo this is interesting! The macros make a lot of sense. I love EA on paper, but I haven't found myself really trying to play it much. Maybe I bite the bullet and level one past 15 to determine if it's one I like. 

More food from thought from somebody else who has really tested what elec/elec can do.

1 minute ago, KaizenSoze said:

More food from thought from somebody else who has really tested what elec/elec can do.

YESSS! I saw some posts by Voltak the other day! Super interesting! Def a good case for the pairing. How's the fun factor? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, purplereign said:

YESSS! I saw some posts by Voltak the other day! Super interesting! Def a good case for the pairing. How's the fun factor? 

You do feel like you can keep a team upright by yourself. Sapping is fun, especially if there is another electrical blast on the team. It is quite fun to sap Super Stunners.

If the team is sturdy then you just focus on one buff and blast away. Shock damage is decent enough damage on top of defender blasts to make it fun. It's not proc monster damage though.

It is a versatile combo. Strangely you will have end issues, if there are a lot of pets, ie Master minds. Your end buff does not get back to you sometimes.

If things are going badly, you will be right in the middle of things. Which is the best place for Elec blast.

Of course, on a steamroller team, you'll feel a bit bored. But that is a general problem.

Dark / controller will do the cc and debuffing you're looking for.

Elec, cold, thermal will do the buffing. I really enjoy having an /elec on my teams.

But yeah sounds like a controller best suits your play style

Now that I think of it in going to roll a dark/elec controller today when I get home.

Edited by Greldek
nothinmuch

1 hour ago, KaizenSoze said:

You do feel like you can keep a team upright by yourself. Sapping is fun, especially if there is another electrical blast on the team. It is quite fun to sap Super Stunners.

If the team is sturdy then you just focus on one buff and blast away. Shock damage is decent enough damage on top of defender blasts to make it fun. It's not proc monster damage though.

It is a versatile combo. Strangely you will have end issues, if there are a lot of pets, ie Master minds. Your end buff does not get back to you sometimes.

If things are going badly, you will be right in the middle of things. Which is the best place for Elec blast.

Of course, on a steamroller team, you'll feel a bit bored. But that is a general problem.

Also, elec affinity gives decent resistances to end drain on you or your team. 

Also, elec affinity by defender is among the most excellent buffing entities in the entire game. 

By lvl 25, with only SOs, you can grind at two levels above with an Elec Defender with safety and no endurance issues. 

I want to clarify, that you should have no endurance issues on an elec affinity / elec blast defender. 

1) you can always fill your end bar via the pet with your endurance buff power (which also serves as a strong +rech buff)

2) when you drain endurance and also shock is in, you get endurance for yourself. 

All this stuff is on video, the one posted above. 

Also this -->

Also, if I can get the defender to clear part 2 of the ITF solo, you better believe he will do Part 3 and 4 of the ITF and therefore solo the entire ITF at 54 x8 with no inspirations, no deaths, no temp powers, no P2W.  

Yes, I am working on it. 

Edited by Voltak
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, purplereign said:

Also, 

I am going to reference @Linea here.  
Linea, can tell you all about how my elec/elec defender makes a vast difference often determining by itself wether one level of 801 or another will be too easy or much more doable when present. 

It is truly a masterfully created piece of work by the developers. 

Two well played elec/elec defenders will make 801's TOP TIER challenge, the highest of all, look look like a mediocre challenge which only takes time but no big danger at all.  That is unmatched by Nature Defender. 

Nature also has absorb but Elec Affinity absorb recharges very fast and the team wide heal is strong but all of that is taken to another level due to the fact that Elec Affinity provides strong resistances to all dmg except Toxic and due to the strong recharge buff too, recharge debuff will be nothing to deal with either, and Linea's scenarios with end drain will be meaningless with Elec Affinity defenders there. 

It's unmatched.   Two of those will drain the whole room of baddies quickly except for the case of a room filled with AVs. 

*** as I got done writing this, I get a message on Discord from @FUBARczar to take his spot on the highest lvl 801 right now. 

Logging my elec defender now. 

Edited by Voltak

I basically always team and play either a tanker or support.  But I also only play at lower levels (below 30 and mostly below 20).

In my extensive playing of support characters I have found that the ultimate low level support character is an electric/thermal controller.

Electric control gives you static field every fight, which is a re-applying sleep in an area.  You can drop it from out of LoS.  It is the best aoe control at low levels (ice slick is similar but does not work on clockwork due to knockback and Seeds of Confusion is better control but not sustained and not out of LoS).

Thermal gives you Res shields which turn low level tankers and brutes into functional tankers and brutes.

And thermal gives you two heals, pbaoe and ally.  They recharge quickly and are sufficient to keep a team healed.

An electric/thermal controller makes a low level team work.  You can do a +4 Frostfire as the only support on the team.

1 hour ago, Voltak said:

Also, 

I am going to reference @Linea here.  
Linea, can tell you all about how my elec/elec defender makes a vast difference often determining by itself wether one level of 801 or another will be too easy or much more doable when present. 

It is truly a masterfully created piece of work by the developers. 

Two well played elec/elec defenders will make 801's TOP TIER challenge, the highest of all, look look like a mediocre challenge which only takes time but no big danger at all.  That is unmatched by Nature Defender. 

Nature also has absorb but Elec Affinity absorb recharges very fast and the team wide heal is strong but all of that is taken to another level due to the fact that Elec Affinity provides strong resistances to all dmg except Toxic and due to the strong recharge buff too, recharge debuff will be nothing to deal with either, and Linea's scenarios with end drain will be meaningless with Elec Affinity defenders there. 

It's unmatched.   Two of those will drain the whole room of baddies quickly except for the case of a room filled with AVs. 

*** as I got done writing this, I get a message on Discord from @FUBARczar to take his spot on the highest lvl 801 right now. 

Logging my elec defender now. 

All of this is immensely helpful information, and I've been looking at your videos over the last few days. Do you have an all-around build that you could recommend?

Separately? My only major gripe so far (I'm only level 27) is that Elec Affin feels arguably too active. I constantly feel like I can't skip a beat and I have to be pressing something every second. Does it become more natural, or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, purplereign said:

I am a pure team-player. I never, ever solo. I am looking to create the ultimate team-oriented toon that makes everyone want me to join them for missions, TFs, ITFs, etc.

So...here's some feedback. Take it with a grain of salt, as the way I think isn't the way others think. 

My first thought was - this person is almost the opposite of me, in that, I solo more often than not. When I do team, your powerset and AT are irrelevant to me. I welcome your buffs and debuffs, but I don't need them. Soloing has helped wean me off dependency of such luxury. 

My second thought is a cold/dark defender.  Cold has some good shields - which can offend folks who spend more time at the tailor than I do. They will insist you go to the tailor and minimize these effects as it covers their costumes. Avoid these people. They are silly. Cold is a great buff set, and it has a nice power called Benumb. I have no idea how effective it is on an AV, but in pvp, it kills my characters recharge timers, where what used to recharge in 6 seconds now takes over ...well, no idea, because I usually die before they recharge. In short, it's a great debuff. That's really all I know about it, other than what it says. 

Alternatively, Sonic/dark would be good, too. Good buffs, nice single target debuff for AVs. 

No worries.  Go with whatever fits your theme.  Just be sure to report back once in a while to let us know what you decided and how it is going for ya.  Always like to hear how other players approach the game.  CoX is the definition of "It all works so have fun!"

And for the record, much like @Ukase mentioned, I welcome any character's buffs/debuffs but ultimately my characters are built to solo so all the support provides is not having to use an insp before an impossible fight.  😉