There already is a thread for this - let's keep it in one place? https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3643.0.html

(IMPORTANT NOTE: You may notice that some of these have actual copyrighted chest emblems - these are CLIENT-SIDE mods. Only I or anyone who has these mods installed can see them. Such as the "House of El" Superman emblem. If you don't have the mod - it's just "Celtic 2" for you. And yes - I'll make a thread for those mods and a link for download if there's demand for it. But if the Devs here say not to do it, I won't.)
Ehhh. Doing things within the costume creator's limits is kind of the challenge. Client-side mods break those limits, which makes them somewhat cheaty in the context.

zAYQ0dJ.jpg

This is "The Elite Warrior", my homage to Dragon Ball Z's Vegeta. Comes complete with Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Blue/Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and the "Badman" pink shirt and yellow pants, as well as the Saiyan battle armor pictured above (well, as close as I could get to Saiyan battle armor). My first homage character..

EDIT: Adjusted image width so it doesn't create a scrollbar.

Is that Superman chest logo photoshopped?

I don't recall seeing that one.

As noted in the original post, it's a client-side mod.  You can replace chest emblems with other chest emblems (or almost any texture with any other texture, really) in your files, but only you'll be able to see them.  Everyone else will see the original emblem.

Is that Superman chest logo photoshopped?

I don't recall seeing that one.

As noted in the original post, it's a client-side mod.  You can replace chest emblems with other chest emblems (or almost any texture with any other texture, really) in your files, but only you'll be able to see them.  Everyone else will see the original emblem.

Thank the gods for that. It’s bad enough seeing the ripoff toons in game already without them actually sporting proper symbols etc.

MCM

Thank the gods for that. It’s bad enough seeing the ripoff toons in game already without them actually sporting proper symbols etc.

What is with this hate for people that enjoy homage?

I just don't get this incessent need to put down the way other people choose to express themselves.

It's hateful and rude from my PoV.

What gives?

I just don't get this incessent need to put down the way other people choose to express themselves.

What gives?

What do you "express" by using a tool with immeasurable potential to copy someone else?  Because the only thing that seems to express is a total lack of creativity.  There's also a line between "homage" and "ripoff."  Statesman is an homage to Superman and Captain America, borrowing elements from both but still being unique in enough ways to be a new character.  On the other hand, yesterday I ran into the literal Hulk.  Like, he was a green giant named Hulk, there was no attempt to be subtle or clever about it.  Not to mention the legions of other "homages" I've run into, you have no idea how many variations of Star Lord I've seen already.  It's just an eyesore.

If you want to play a Marvel character, play a Marvel game.  People used to be forced into creativity, and the players were better for it.

What gives?

What do you "express" by using a tool with immeasurable potential to copy someone else?  Because the only thing that seems to express is a total lack of creativity.  There's also a line between "homage" and "ripoff."  Statesman is an homage to Superman and Captain America, borrowing elements from both but still being unique in enough ways to be a new character.  On the other hand, yesterday I ran into the literal Hulk.  Like, he was a green giant named Hulk, there was no attempt to be subtle or clever about it.  Not to mention the legions of other "homages" I've run into, you have no idea how many variations of Star Lord I've seen already.  It's just an eyesore.

If you want to play a Marvel character, play a Marvel game.  People used to be forced into creativity, and the players were better for it.

That's your subjective standard, based on your preferences of what you like to see. Often I find with people expressing this, it's more of a self-pump on how creative *they* are compared to others. Nobody has to, or even should, worry about or attempt to align with your metric.

This is not an issue, and it's an extremely bad take.

People used to be forced into creativity, and the players were better for it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*whew*, thanks.

Anyway, to your 'point', so you think that only certain expressions of creativity are 'valid' and must conform to your worldview.

Have I got that right?

So do you go to ComicCon and rag on the cosplayers? Hm?

The thoughts you express are some of the most close-minded and hateful things I have read on game forums.

Sadly you are not alone in your worldview, as many here on these very forums have the hateful and elitist attitude that creativity and expression must fall within some invisible set of boundaries to be considered valid.

This high-horse outlook is not distasteful, it is disgusting, IMO.

I know!

You can make a SG and call yourselves the Creative Dicktators so we know who you are!

It will be awesome!

Also, if at any time you think about inventing an internal standard and telling people who don't measure up to it to play another game... just don't. That's a fairly awful thing to do, and you should pretty much never tell anyone else to play another game unless you currently develop or administrate this one.

People used to be forced into creativity, and the players were better for it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*whew*, thanks.

Anyway, to your 'point', so you think that only certain expressions of creativity are 'valid' and must conform to your worldview.

Have I got that right?

So do you go to ComicCon and rag on the cosplayers? Hm?

The thoughts you express are some of the most close-minded and hateful things I have read on game forums.

Sadly you are not alone in your worldview, as many here on these very forums have the hateful and elitist attitude that creativity and expression must fall within some invisible set of boundaries to be considered valid.

This high-horse outlook is not distasteful, it is disgusting, IMO.

I know!

You can make a SG and call yourselves the Creative Dicktators so we know who you are!

It will be awesome!

Are you just gonna keep up this ad hominem shit and refusing to address my arguments?

Are you just gonna keep up this ad hominem shit and refusing to address my arguments?

God I hope so, as long as you are posting bad takes and telling people to play other games because of them.

Joking aside, it's not much of argument to address. It's a statement of what you want, and why people who don't provide it are bad. With better substance, I think you'll get much better replies.

But you don't have an argument, you have an opinion.

Your opinion is that people that do build homages and what you call 'ripoffs' are somehow less creative and should be ridiculed.

It's an Opinion.

You even think that 'forcing' you creative viewpoint will 'improve players'.

An Opinion.

You even insuate that it's somehow 'wrong' to use the crayons in the character creator to create things you don't want to see.

An Opinion.

Your only 'argument' seems to be some people might not be as creative as others and they should be ridiculed and shunned for it or for even being allowed to use the crayons.

What did I miss?

First of all, I think this thread and the OP need some definitions:

homage noun

hom·​age | \ ˈä-mij , ˈhä-, sense 2 b is often ō-ˈmäzh

a : expression of high regard : RESPECT

bowed in homage to the king

often used with pay

Her work pays homage to women artists of the past.

b : something that shows respect or attests to the worth or influence of another : TRIBUTE

his long life filled with international homages to his unique musical talent

— People

copy noun

\ ˈkä-pē  \

plural copies

Definition of copy

1 : an imitation, transcript, or reproduction of an original work (such as a letter, a painting, a table, or a dress)

2 : one of a series of especially mechanical reproductions of an original impression

also : an individual example of such a reproduction

Your costumes are clearly copies of the original.

My Nefarios Ghast character from Live is a homage to Sinestro:

300px-NefGhastProfPic.jpg

Nefarios Ghast was once a respected commander of The Thermacorp, a policing organization not unlike the Green Lanterns - But without the aid of Power Rings. The Thermacorp members are imbued with a semi-mystical cosmic energy. Originally named simply Nefarios, he helped bring peace to the planet Haas which had been at war for generations. Where there was civil strife, he sowed the seeds of peace. And where there was political disagreement, he brought understanding.

Then came the unfortunate event at the Chi Sector. Due to the unprecedented loss of billions of innocent lives, Nefarios was dishnorably discharged from the ThermaCorps. Swearing revenge, Nefarios disappeared.

NefGhastHover.jpg

That said, as it's getting a bit heated here, and I hope it can get toned down a bit too avoid drama that gets more notice than any of us want.

Nah, I fight Hate head-on, we are who we are.:)

Except escalating arguments never changes minds, makes both parties look bad, and detracts from whatever the OP was trying to communicate...

We are who we choose to be...

As for where the attitude comes from, that's easy - that's how CoX was for it's entire run.  It was policing other people's IP to keep themselves out of trouble.  The customer base understood it, and so it became part of the culture...

Fast forward, here we are 2 months into homecoming, and people are going need some time to adapt to a new mindset that was baked for 8 years with Live.

Me personally, I don't feel that direct copies of IP are creative, and I choose not to team with those players...Do I have a personal problem with them as people?  No.  Do I "report them"?  No.  But it's my opinion, and sadly there is little point in arguing creativity, since it is entirely subjective...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

What gives?

Wait a minute, aren't you the same person who had a copy of Kamen Rider Mach back on live?

https://www.deviantart.com/akutenshiizero/art/City-of-Heroes-Characters-337347134

Wait a minute, aren't you the same person who had a copy of Kamen Rider Mach back on live?

https://www.deviantart.com/akutenshiizero/art/City-of-Heroes-Characters-337347134

First off, did you seriously just Google me?  That is insanely creepy.

Secondly, CoX ended in 2012.  Kamen Rider Drive, and the official character Mach, did not exist until 2014.  So unless you want to argue I'm clairvoyant or a time traveller, then the fact is I happened to pick a name and theme loosly similar to something Bandai eventually did afterwards.

Except escalating arguments never changes minds, makes both parties look bad, and detracts from whatever the OP was trying to communicate...

We are who we choose to be...

As for where the attitude comes from, that's easy - that's how CoX was for it's entire run.  It was policing other people's IP to keep themselves out of trouble.  The customer base understood it, and so it became part of the culture...

Fast forward, here we are 2 months into homecoming, and people are going need some time to adapt to a new mindset that was baked for 8 years with Live.

Me personally, I don't feel that direct copies of IP are creative, and I choose not to team with those players...Do I have a personal problem with them as people?  No.  Do I "report them"?  No.  But it's my opinion, and sadly there is little point in arguing creativity, since it is entirely subjective...

You do what I do - I leave/do not join teams that have players I do not find fun.

I don't think discussions on MMO forums ever do much other than what you describe. :)

The whole point of my ranting and raving is simply that I find ragging on the creative expressions of others to be Evil.

It could be a kid, some one with special needs that gains comfort from playing thier favorite Super, all sorts of things.

To call into question the validity of other peoples creative expression is just deeply hurtful IMO.

And to come out and say 'I should not even have to see them' is outright bigotry, IMO.

Do you guys critisize kids for making Spiderman artwork?

I really do wander what some of these same people do at ComicCon.

Do they harass cosplayers?

Do they go to the Help Desk and lodge complaints?

From my PoV, it's pretty close to what is happening here.

These people are being called 'bad' for not expressing thier creativity the 'right' way, when no rules have been created, just busy bodies that think they have to place restictions on other to conform to thier worldview.

It's hard sometimes to tolarate the intollerant.

First off, did you seriously just Google me?  That is insanely creepy.

Secondly, CoX ended in 2012.  Kamen Rider Drive, and the official character Mach, did not exist until 2014.  So unless you want to argue I'm clairvoyant or a time traveller, then the fact is I happened to pick a name and theme loosly similar to something Bandai eventually did afterwards.

I googled your screen name, because it looked familiar. Not exactly the same as googling YOU, as a person. THAT would indeed be creepy.

As for Kamen Rider, that franchise has been around since the 70s. Hell, as old as I am, it's older than me. So please, spare me the idea that your character is a completely original concept. There is nothing wrong with remaking characters, whether completely or using costumes, etc. I have 2 toons that do so, in a sea of original characters.