New Devs = New heroes/villains

So back on Live the heroes/villains were the devs. Any thoughts on continuing the lore by introducing your names as a new cadre of heroes/villains?

Obviously Captain Powerhouse would be a Statesman type figure, The Curator as some kind of mystic, Impervium as a power armor or invulnerable hero, etc, etc.

This way it could serve several purposes;

Fresh life into the game.

New arcs, missions, TFs/SFs, etc. 

A new lore to follow with the creation of new content that interacts will current lore.

Example, the new Nemesis co-op trial, where all the top heroes/villains are kidnapped to be killed off because, they are obstacles to Nemesis world Domination. The new devs step in as a new super team to stop Nemesis (with of course, us as the players playing the trial) they act as our contacts, cut scene material, etc.

We need the next generation of the heroes/villains, because, face it alot of heroes are dead, the villains are sort of sad (Recluse is boring anymore and how many times can I beat Reichsmans nazi ass). 

While ASF did breath life into the Goldbrickers it was more like a limited comic series, instead of a build up of multiple titles over a years time leading to Secret Wars (for example). This could be the tie in to greater things aka Mot, Rularuu, Praetorian Hami, or a totally new big bad.

I think since the Rikti War, Who will die, etc there have been no fresh bodies to replace the losses in Paragon. Just like the rise of Batman, new villains need to rise up to challenge them (which I happily submit my application as a villain).

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

There should be a way to in-game recognize the Devs, GMs and other Volunteers.   Certainly inclusion as new contacts, especially with the new task forces.  

One suggestion I made a while back in when they were soliciting ideas for fleshing out the K. Wharf was to have a Superhero Museum.  There you can have 'statutes' of an honored character with a plaque with a quick story about them.  Or a screenshot painting on the wall.  

Also, can we please replace Castle in PI?

• Like 4

I'd really rather not.  Piecemeal tried it and it honestly felt kind of unfulfilling when I realized I was just playing their character's origin story.

On top of that, I dunno, it just feels...incompatible with the game's true form.  Like, for better or worse, this game doesn't really "belong" to the current dev team.  Trying to make it "theirs" might give a sort of misappropriated in the same way that, say, having them take on preexisting canon character names (like the original dev team did) wouldn't really feel right, either (and to my understanding, is deliberately avoided by the HC team in part for that reason).

1 hour ago, Lazarillo said:

misappropriated

You mean like using their code on a Rogue server and then making TFs, new powersets, balance, and a host of other things?

Apparently you have it in your head that there are various "levels" of what is acceptable when in reality none if it is.

If NC gave a shit then they would have done something by know, its not like HC or any of the other servers are a secret. Hell we've been in various gaming news sites multiple times, we are streamed, etc.

I for one would like to see new missions, arcs, contacts, etc breathe new life into this game. It's not like it hasn't been complained about a million times. I just thought this would be a neat way to do it.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

18 minutes ago, Krimson said:

The player base IS the next generation of costumed heroes and villains. I don't think we need new costumed NPCs. Contacts can be anyone, and probably someone who doesn't have their own array of powers to deal with a situation themselves. 

I'm going to have to agree with this. One of the most annoying missions from Anti-Matter? he sends you literally 70 feet away to his lab to deal with intruders. It's like "What the hell? You can't clear your lab yourself?! It's right there!". And the mission is always at that door. Or the supers blue side and red side that send you off to deal with problems. Only one contact has it make sense, and it is because he says he is being watched and doesn't want to tip off the baddies that they are about to be raided.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

You mean like using their code on a Rogue server and then making TFs, new powersets, balance, and a host of other things?

Apparently you have it in your head that there are various "levels" of what is acceptable when in reality none if it is.

I don't think it's as fine a line as "yes" or "no".  We're in Praetoria.  There are shades of gray (even if it looks awfully blue to that one silly Circle of Thorns guy).

There's a degree to which I think this idea "claims" the game, which is where I think the problem comes about.  The game belongs (or, at least, "should" belong) to the larger playerbase, not to the development staff of any one community.  And in that regard, player characters shouldn't really feel held in any different a regard to server-team characters, as I see it.

Plus, as noted, they did try this already, and it fell really flat, to me at least (doubly so since the team member who did the arc left anyway, maybe?).  Doesn't mean there can't be story potential, but it needs to be approached in a way that doesn't commandeer the characters or the game world in too great a degree.  The Vigilante and Rogue arcs were both good examples of how to do new content right, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Developer
5 hours ago, Six-Six said:

They might have something in the works along these lines... at least that's what I gathered from this post:

Actively working on that. A lot of people's submitted costumes are in my local development branch as I develop custom textures to make them unique.

• Thumbs Up 3

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.