Which groups have strong parallels to Marvel or DC groups

Techwright

I was re-reading the wiki regarding the Knives of Artemis when finally sunk in that this group is basically CoH's version of Marvel's Black Widows.

What other CoH groups, villain or hero, do you feel draw strong parallels to groups from the big two publishers in comics?  Or perhaps you feel they draw parallels to smaller publishing house works.  Let's hear those, too.

I can pretty much guess two others, but I'm curious to see what others think.

DC has a Skulls gang in Gotham (never figured out how they avoided a lawsuit over that.  or The Council (two in DC).  or Nemesis (again, two in DC)).

The Family = Intergang.

Carnival of Shadows = Jokerz (Batman Beyond).

Tsoo = League of Assassins.

Mooks = Black Mask

Malta = Checkmate/A.R.G.U.S.

Warriors = Mutants (The Dark Knight Returns).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Well…I guess Crey is sorta A.I.M.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The Council/5th Column and HYDRA.

• Like 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

DC has a Skulls gang in Gotham (never figured out how they avoided a lawsuit over that.  or The Council (two in DC).  or Nemesis (again, two in DC)).

Just a guess, but it may be because each is a common, single word.    If CoH had a "Red Skulls" or "Atomic Skulls" gang, that might go too far, but there might be a chance a judge won't uphold a trademark on just "Skulls".

Contributing a bit more:  Longbow feels a bit like Marvel's SHIELD and Vanguard like SWORD.

The Lost are Marvel's Morlocks, at least at first glance.  Their story diverges as it progresses.

Freedom Phalanx is a kind of Legion of Super Heroes expy.

I feel Manticore is more of a Batman expy (the mansion, the wealth, the fact that he's normal), since he's the one who like to work on investigations and such (Countess Crey). Though you're right rather than a utility belt they gave him gadget arrows instead, clearly inspired by Green Arrow.

I think Arachnos is supposed to be more of a Legion of Super Villains expy, though of course with the heavy spider theme.

• Like 1

Crey Corp is LexCorp or Hammer or Roxxon or a dozen other mega corporations in comics with their own private armies, flaunting of law and order and evil leaders.  But the Countess is totally like the Baroness from Cobra . . . she so knows how to rock the skirt and heels.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

16 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I feel Manticore is more of a Batman expy (the mansion, the wealth, the fact that he's normal), since he's the one who like to work on investigations and such (Countess Crey). Though you're right rather than a utility belt they gave him gadget arrows instead, clearly inspired by Green Arrow.

I've heard Manticore described as a hybrid of Batman and Green Arrow, and I can see that, though I can also see Green Arrow because wasn't Oliver Queen also an extremely wealthy individual, at least at one point?

The Family reminds me of Marvel's the Maggia and Hammerhead's gang.

The Malta group's colors remind me more of SHIELD, though Hero Corps wears blue also.

The Freakshow reminds me of the Reavers.

The Tsoo the Hand (or the Foot!).

Longbow reminds me of Alpha Flight (specifically Guardian/Vindicator) based on just the color scheme.

Arachnos and Recluse are a solid riff of a Superior Spider-Man what-if story that doesn't actually exist.

I liked someone's earlier Lost and Morlocks idea.

The Rikti's long faces remind me of Beta Ray Bill sometimes.

I liked Crey in the AIM/Roxxon spot.

Wow, I'm really a Marvel guy.

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've heard Manticore described as a hybrid of Batman and Green Arrow

Eh.  Green Arrow was a Batman knock-off for a long time.  Arrow Cave.  Arrowmobile.  Arrowplane.  Then the writers started taking the character more seriously, from the end of '69 onward.  He lost everything, changing the character's outlook and bringing some seriousness to the books.  Then the controversial Speedy issue ran, which put even more distance between the Batman-clone origins and the more modern take.  Today's Green Arrow is far more interesting than the original version.  He's differentiated from other superheroes not by the fact that he's "just a guy with a bow and arrows", but by his political and social perspective.

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

wasn't Oliver Queen also an extremely wealthy individual, at least at one point?

Very.  Batman rich, in keeping with the "Batman, WITH A BOW!" schtick.  Right up to late '69, then he was a pauper.  He regained a lot of wealth over the years, but remained humbled by what he experienced as a poor person.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Yeah, I definitely see Manticore as a Silver Age Green Arrow, with a bit of Dark Age angst thrown in.

One of my favorite current writers is Tom Taylor and in one of the Injustice books he has an exchange between Harley Quinn and Green Arrow where she changes the name of the Arrowcave to the Quiver. Amusing little side moment.

how-harley-quinn-changed-the-arrow-cave-

how-harley-quinn-changed-the-arrow-cave-

The Lost are kind of like the Morlocks, (only with induced changes instead of "natural" mutations).  The Outcasts could kind of be viewed as the Brotherhood (of Evil) Mutants.  The Malta Operatives are kind of an evil version of G.I. Joe.

Edited by biostem