Symphony is almost perfect, BUT....

TheKay

I've played symphony a bit and I love the set in general, and the idea of a full conical control set is really relaxing to sit black and play without having to change between PBAoE, TAoE, Cones like most control sets.

My one pet peeve is that there's ONE cone with different angle and distance than the others, and it's the one that really should not be.

Hymn of Dissonance, the AoE root is shorter and wider than the other cones. It should be the same because you'd be able to simply follow up with other cones in a relaxing playstyle. If they got rooted, they'll get feared/asleep/stunned, simple as that.

But it's not only wider, that causes you to miscalculate, it's also shorter, so you are forced to step closer to the enemies (I like to target the last enemy behind the group to hit the whole group); But stepping closer makes the other cones have less area since they are narrower and you are closer. 

Would it be too bad to just make it like the rest of the cones? It'd be an overal nerf to the area, but so much smoother to play. 

Edited by TheKay
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, biostem said:

Because of its wider cone, a range enhancement will allow you to more easily encompass even more targets!  

Mehh... it will make the cone longer than the rest and still not be equal;  And you're stull unnable to measure if the other CC's will hit based on what the root did. 

10 minutes ago, TheKay said:

Mehh... it will make the cone longer than the rest and still not be equal;  And you're stull unnable to measure if the other CC's will hit based on what the root did.

Yeah, but it's not the first set with different cone powers in it, so this is nothing new...

"He says he likes your cones." - Stanley Brown

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Did the grind on Symphonic/Poison up to 29 so far. Very controller CC focused --I had no problem with sleep-confuse 1-fear confuse 1. I tended to step in when the last targeted mob member attacked to sands of mu through him to the other two. Until I hit Talos and the Warrior sword fellas started hitting for almost 1 hit kill values. Back to stand offish, but then there are later holds and such. I took Mighty Leap and occasionally used its stomp to "quiet" the audience. 

On slotting. I do pass things between toons, including influence. As soon as I could afford it, I had two of the controller set in place for the bonuses as well as the random Font pet. Somebody needs to tweak the spawn point of that thing a bit to say 5 ft in front --the times it has just floated behind me unable to go around cut from it's ten second lifespan is annoying. I slotted sleep with chance to heal self, makes things much easier. Kismet +accuracy helped a lot in maneuvers. I played solo (small mobs or street groups up to five usually) or in groups where the length of the cones really showed --no hug damage but being able to just stop two mobs from attacking entirely for even just a second is a game changer when the tank is def oriented. Gives time for the healers to do that. I used the poison sets -def -to hit attacks liberally but not as openers unless ye old Tank had aggro.

Stealth proc in sprint at 12 yes. 

Heal proc in end as soon as I could, yes. 

Movement power waited until around 18 because you could grind as you go in earlier but Talos sends you to 28 group doorsteps when you are 21 so nah to that.

I actually like the Confuse dot, slotted to boost it even. I think it needs an echo effect of its own, similar to the chain lightning running on the same timer as the original with -1 per hop --when the first guy breaks out, all break out. 

I like the idea mentioned in the dev section to allow the sound effects to be adjusted in the character respec section --even just a default volume setting per power. Maybe let it pick from two or three kinds of sound effects even if the alternate is just ocean wave woosh noises. Course I also think all the rifle/pistol weapon powers should be able to pick from blam, boom and Zot effects as sounds too. 😉

I just started poking my nose into Brickstown --anyone know why the map for Bricks gets corrupted?-- and ran mishes with a PUG group. Three symphonics was --ah-- interesting in the mission, and the tank enjoyed melting any moving mobs as we'd taken them down to half in the opening shots.

All in all, good set. Seriously considering a Symph/Nature next...

On 8/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, carroto said:

Don't ever play Dark Blast then.  The cones are radically different, so to even try to get good use of them you're constantly moving in, out, in, out, in, out.  It's most of what combat is with that set.

I don't. And just because dark is like that, doesn't mean every other set needs to be like that. Symphony could've been unique in being the first or even the only ever set with same cones for everything, so the playstyle is smooth, y'know, like music. You sit back and serenade to your enemies!

I was just a sugestion and I now realize it was in the wrong forum too (It was my first post). So sorry about that bit!

On 8/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, carroto said:

Don't ever play Dark Blast then.  The cones are radically different, so to even try to get good use of them you're constantly moving in, out, in, out, in, out.  It's most of what combat is with that set.

50% +Range fixes that.  My TA/Dark's entire attack chain is TT/NF/Moonbeam and I don't move an inch once I start.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.