Superhero Landing

Xeres

I suggested this a few months back on the Beta forums.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

An alternate stance (like Blitz, Parkour, etc.) that plays the animation after jumping could possibly work. Though, it could also be done through emotes. Make a bind or a macro, hit it when you land from a jump. Granted, this would require that we have a suitable 'superhero landing' emote to use (the Rest stance could definitely work in a pinch).

Of the two, I figure emotes are more likely. Puts the activation directly in the player's control of when it happens and how long they stay in the position, rather than superhero landing every single time they jumped. Given how quickly it'd have to happen then bounce them back to 'default standing/ready for combat' with an alternate stance, that seems like it might get a bit silly (not that CoH doesn't readily allow for silly).

Either way, it'd be fun to mess around with! I'm here for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Given that even superheroes don't execute their superhero landings that often... only for dramatic entrances... you can jump (or fall with grace) and then hit Mighty Judgement. It should animate WHEN you land and not before or during your descent. Should allow you to make THAT entrance. 😃

On 9/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, Arc-Mage said:

I suggested this a few months back on the Beta forums.

Do you have a link?

Were any video clips posted for examples of what you are looking for?

On 9/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, Xeres said:

I am requesting a superhero landing animation should your decent be over... say 15 feet - enabled in game options.

Can you post some video clips of what you are looking for?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Do you have a link?

Were any video clips posted for examples of what you are looking for?

Can you post some video clips of what you are looking for?

Check out the Deadpool movies. I think the 2nd one has him specifically identifying "Super Hero Landings" (tm). Though it may be the 1st one. Been a while since I watched them. Basically, the character lands on one knee with the other knee forward, and one hand on the ground.

Edit: Here you go:

Edited by Rudra

5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Check out the Deadpool movies. I think the 2nd one has him specifically identifying "Super Hero Landings" (tm). Though it may be the 1st one. Been a while since I watched them. Basically, the character lands on one knee with the other knee forward, and one hand on the ground.

Good post.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119dcaf1450c3f4e43b7

spider-man-landing-spider-man.gif

landing-supergirl.gif

supergirl-superhero-landing.gif

thor-landing.gif

e719bda1b62fab1dce2d2326968d8180.gif

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

"He's gonna do it! Super Hero Landing. Ooh, that is so bad on the knees."

This is probably doable as an alternate animation. It would require a new inherent animation menu for jumping/landing though.

I think it's the steam or piston boots that have an effect when you land.  The question is whether whatever checks for that can then force an animation on the entire character model, (as opposed to the simpler cloud of steam).

6 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Given that even superheroes don't execute their superhero landings that often... only for dramatic entrances...

Then of course you may need one based on "the Greatest American Hero", skidding to stop, sliding on your face would be suitably dramatic, and would be replaced with a standard landing after level 20.

• Haha 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Yep, I posted the Deadpool video on the beta forums. The idea was well received by others. Not sure is anyone in charge looked at the idea tho. My suggestions was using the "Fist" version of Foot Stomp or the Incarnate Mighty Judgment animation on landing. 

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

• 2 weeks later

Y'know what might work well - we have a ninja leap costume change animation - what if this was implemented as a regular emote, (as well as a costume change one)?  Maybe have a version without you doing the offscreen leap, and you can tie it into the deactivation of a power or something...