Tankers should get Energy Aura before anymore new power sets

For years now Tankers have been asking for Energy Aura. In that time the developers have created two entirely new power sets, Electrical Affinity and Musical Chairs, or whatever it's called.

But for some reason they just haven't had the time to port Energy Aura over to Tankers.

They've have the time to add new mechanics to Energy Melee, Sorcery Pool and Electrical Blast, but, for some reason, they just haven't had the time to port Energy Aura over to Tankers.

They've even had the time to create an entirely new game difficulty mode. But, for some reason, they just haven't had the time to port Energy Aura over to Tankers.

So that's my suggestion. If the devs really want to show us that they "listen to feedback" then why not give us something that's been asked for since the retail forums?

Port Energy Aura to Tankers, please. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

So it seems that no one disagrees with the suggestion that Tankers should get Energy Aura. That's good news.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Heatstroke said:

Im still waiting for Sentinel reworks...

Agreed. Sentinel's inherent should be changed to something that's actually worthwhile. Oh, and they should get Energy Aura too, if they don't already have it.

• Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I was ready to say that I don't believe EA is a set that would work for Tankers very well therefore isn't ported. However, I looked at the Brutes page and realized that Brutes have access to this defensive set. Therefore, I cannot come to another conclusion than EA should be ported over to Tankers and given the typical numerical defense adjustment scalars. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, Beau_Hica said:

Let's just proliferate everything everywhere.  There's already fotm builds, and things already need a little bit of balancing.  Might as well just rip the bandaid and go for it and work backwards in a balance update later.

Power proliferation is fine, but the balance always has to be dealt with beforehand, not after the fact. Additional balancing can happen after as additional problems are discovered, but powers need to be balanced as part of proliferation. (That said? I don't know if EA actually needs any. @Zeraphia says Brutes already have it, so just port the Brute version.)

On 10/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, Rudra said:

Power proliferation is fine, but the balance always has to be dealt with beforehand, not after the fact.

I don't understand how balance would be a problem. SR and Shield are already capable of getting to 54% Defense and 1 billion DDR. Compared to that what exactly can EA do that needs to be balanced?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, Beau_Hica said:

There's already fotm builds, and things already need a little bit of balancing.  Might as well just rip the bandaid and go for it and work backwards in a balance update later.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, Rudra said:

Power proliferation is fine, but the balance always has to be dealt with beforehand, not after the fact.

My comment was not aimed at you or the OP. It was aimed at the comment I quoted as part of my post. As my comment you partially quoted states at the end, the devs can probably just port the Brute version over to Tankers, so I am fine with the OP.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last sentence.

Soooo.... if your comment wasn't aimed at the OP, or at the person that you actually replied to, then who is it aimed at?

You sure you don't need more coffee this morning, Rudra?

My guess is they havent got around to it and not that it will never happen.  Several powersets have been ported around but energy aura hasnt made it to the top of 'the list' yet.  Perhaps this topic might give it a boost in the process.

And give any armor to a tanker and they will turn it into [The I Win Button].  Doesnt make much difference for it to be with energy aura or every single other armor in the game....except regen,  tanks dont want that dumpster fire.

871129283_download(3).jpeg.52cb7912565890e22c2459c718d28014.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, TheZag said:

My guess is they havent got around to it and not that it will never happen.  Several powersets have been ported around but energy aura hasnt made it to the top of 'the list' yet.  Perhaps this topic might give it a boost in the process.

And give any armor to a tanker and they will turn it into [The I Win Button].  Doesnt make much difference for it to be with energy aura or every single other armor in the game....except regen,  tanks dont want that dumpster fire.

871129283_download(3).jpeg.52cb7912565890e22c2459c718d28014.jpeg

I have a DM/Regen Brute that is hyper-specialized for the sole purpose of tanking Hami.  I'd happily remake him as a Tanker for the same purpose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still hoping that someone can explain to me why Energy Aura would be horribly wrong/unbalanced on a Tanker.

It's been claimed that the defense numbers would be too high. But, as I said, Super Reflexes and Shield are both capable of getting over 50% defense with just a little help from IOs.

So what if it is a little easier to get EA's numbers over 50%? So what if its defense numbers are a little bit higher than SR's or SD's? It's not like the mobs will miss harder than ever before. A miss is still just a miss.

Maybe one day someone will be able to explain to me why the devs are scared to port EA to Tankers, but I have the feeling that today is not that day.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

I'm not seeing the claim that EA would be horribly wrong or unbalanced for Tankers on this thread....

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again.

"I've seen it claimed in other threads over the last couple of years that the defense numbers would be too high would if ported to Tankers."

I was expressing my belief that this point of view makes no sense in the hopes that someone can explain to me why I'm wrong, or if I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I guess we'll be putting this discussion on hold.

It looks like the devs have been busy.

• 3 weeks later
On 9/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Heatstroke said:

Im still waiting for Sentinel reworks, MasterMind Pets to get upgraded, Dominators to not have the LEAST amount of option of Any AT,

and FREAKING WIND CONTROL !!!!!

Ok, so Page 5 has dropped on the live servers. Sentinels have been buffed. Masterminds have been buffed, and Dominators got another powerset.

So now I think it's time to mention that now would be a great time to port Energy Aura to Tankers!

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Whoops. Typo

On 10/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

I was expressing my belief that this point of view makes no sense in the hopes that someone can explain to me why I'm wrong, or if I'm wrong.

Not making an argument for or against it (in fact I support the idea because why not), but I didn't see anyone else step up and give an explanation, so I'll try.

I'm not a hard numbers guy and these are just hypotheticals based on personal observations so keep that in mind.

EA already pumps out a buttload of DEF on just a scrapper. To put it in perspective, my /EnA's will usually hover at about 50% DEF to all types (except Psi) before I even think about hitting Energy Drain, which, with 10 targets, will pump it into the 57-58% range. And the resistances aren't too shabby either. Usually in the 45-50% range (except toxic and psi) to all types. Add the fact that it has built in Slow RES and a solid heal and I can see how one would argue it might be a little overtuned. The only thing holding it back is poor DDR.

I'd imagine if you add Tanker mods to that, you're looking at something in the 60s for DEF (and that pesky psi hole will probably be patched up too) and maybe even reaching 70% if you try really hard. I don't think anything short of Observers or Hard Mode Cims are getting through that. Then you add the massive layer of RES a Tanker would have on top of that. The meager 50-ish I mentioned earlier would rise exponentially given Tanker mods and MotT ATO. I would guess you could see it in the upper 70s after all that is considered. Maybe higher. And don't forget Energize is still a thing. 50+% HP back for your troubles. 

But the set still has very little DDR, so, shrug.

I still think Tankers should get it already. But I also want Scrappers to get Super Strength, just because it would be funny.

• Thanks 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

14 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I still think Tankers should get it already. But I also want Scrappers to get Super Strength, just because it would be funny.

Thanks for that!  😄

And what you said about EA is exactly what I was saying, and what Billz was saying when he still posted on the forums. Which is that if EA's numbers are too good for a Tanker then they're too good on a Scrapper and Scrapper EA should be nerfed. But if EA's defense numbers are fine for a Scrapper then they'll be ok for a Tanker as well.

Same thing with Super Strength. Either it's just fine, in which case port it, or it needs to be fixed and then ported.

• Thumbs Up 3