Poison does not look as good as other sets

Omega9

Poison's main debuffs (Envenom and Weaken) don't have large AoEs. They apply a strong debuff to the target and a 1/2 strength debuff in an 8-foot radius around the target. That said, they're clicks (no toggles to drop or patches to run out of) and have very short recharges. Venomous Gas (PBAoE toggle) allows you to debuff everything in a 15-foot radius around you. My strategy is to play in melee range and keep all the mobs close (it's much harder to play effectively if you've got a bunch of ranged foes shooting at you). I also use the nuke every time it's up, which will usually leave me with just the bosses.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

43 minutes ago, Omega9 said:

The Nuke? You mean Poison Trap?

I do spam that too, but I meant the T9 in my blast set.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

Envenom and Weaken are small but hit in an aoe.  So you should jump in, poison trap, debuff the boss and nuke.  The -tohit from weaken and venemous gas will likely help you stay alive as the boss swings at you and everything else dies screaming from massive nuke damage.  Then ST the boss down at your leisure.  

Edited by TurboRaptor
  • Thumbs Up 2

If Poison doesn't jump out at you on paper, try it on Test.  It plays a little like /Rad, kind of, except the major debuffs are just click & stand nearby.  The -Res is pretty significant; my Mind/Poison Controller routinely unloads  1300 pound Seismic Smashes on stuff.  Corruptors, a combination of nukes and either /Soul or /Dark Mastery will set you up nicely.

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

28 minutes ago, Omega9 said:

Dark Mastery looks useful. Soul Transfer will get used a lot I am thinking. Oppressive Gloom and Venomous Gas would be a potent cocktail. Throw in Poison Trap. 😉

/Dark makes My Rad/Rad Corruptor into a little murderball.  Anchor on the boss, Jaunt to the middle of the mob and ignore the underlings as they try to decide whether they are held, stunned, or both... Aim -> Soul Drain -> Irradiate -> Atomic Blast, mop up if necessary, on to the next. 

I don't have one, but, Rad/Poison should pretty much go the same way, with Posion Trap taking over from Choking Cloud.  Hrm.  I should probably roll one of those.  And a Water/Poison.  And an Elec/Rad.  

Dang.

Mine is Dual Pistols set for poison, and Poison. I run out of endurance just using a Stealth toggle. And am I right that there is no self-heal? Powers have changed a lot, but on paper there is no self healing. Thinking Hover angle because there is also no trapping to create a melee protection. IMHO Weaken and Envenom should be one power or 45 second duration. Too much time spent preparing an attack, then you fire 3-4 times and start over.

• Thumbs Down 1

I like poison, but i feel it plays best on defender, or controller. 

It can be a challenging set to solo with, or be on a team with little support/aggro control. 

All in all poison/fire/psy defender was one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever done 0-50. It really is a sum of all the pieces experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega9 said:

Mine is Dual Pistols set for poison, and Poison. I run out of endurance just using a Stealth toggle. And am I right that there is no self-heal? Powers have changed a lot, but on paper there is no self healing. Thinking Hover angle because there is also no trapping to create a melee protection. IMHO Weaken and Envenom should be one power or 45 second duration. Too much time spent preparing an attack, then you fire 3-4 times and start over.

There's no self heal in Poison, but in theory the ATO, a Panacea% here, a Power Transfer% there, and the fact you're mowing stuff down *should* conspire to keep keep you upright in moderately difficult circumstances.   

Think I'll roll one of these tonight and see what's what; all my /Poisons are Controllers and are usually doing something that mitigates incoming, so it's possible more drastic preservation measures need taken on the Corruptor side of things.

It's pretty difficult at 20's, probably till you get Venomous Cloud. Doing FreakOlympics arc and only surviving with inspirations vs. 3-5 freakshow minions. Best hit them with Neurotoxic Breath first to slow them down a bit. But I have no special buffs from IO's.

• 2 weeks later

Level 40 is no better. Does fine in groups and against trash in solo missions, but anything challenging ends up in a trip to the hospital. Like Fake Nemesis with a Warhulk them at level 41, me 40. A challenge, but do-able for most any toon. For my Dual Pistols/Poison corrupter, I am lucky to finish off just the Fake Nemesis and flee having used 6 or 7 Inspirations to get through. Quite often it's just a trip to the hospital.

I have Dark Armor, Venomous Gas, Hover, Stealth, the Defense IO's, all well slotted for End Reduction, but I am always using 2-3 medium blues (endurance) in a boss battle which take about double the average time. Only solution to this I can see is Victory Rush. Did I mention getting stunned in every boss battle a few times?

Well, I was just trying it for the RP, but pretty weak sauce. For soloing bosses. I usually get through trash ok.

Edited by Omega9

Are you using main/splash debuffing? 

You can stack the main effects of envenom/weaken on your main target with splash effects of those debuffs if the target is within the 8-foot range. Requires switching targets during the fight but it can help debuff, while pairing with venomous gas (which I would take a visit to the p2w vendor for any buffs to help your mez protection you can get, otherwise I suggest clarion for your destiny).

Can you share a screenshot of your slotting? I'm guessing you're just adding pieces as you get them. I have three poison toons fully built out and they can become game changers for teams, they are a bit of late bloomers, but with IOs I've done a solo Master ITF with my poison/rad defender. Otherwise my fire/poison corruptor levels things and can neuter their defense, res, damage, tohit, etc.

I am only level 40 with this toon. Not many IO's. In the process of getting Scorpion Armor. I think the set has serious Endurance Hog issues for not much benefit. Too many castings, too often I suppose. I am well slotted for Endurance Reduction and Endurance Mod., but in any solo boss fight it always runs dry. On teams it works very well, but you are forced to solo sometimes and all powersets should be able to handle +0 level, +0 player missions and Poison struggles with this at level 40. Damage is weak even versus debuffed bosses. Venomous Gas puts you into melee combat with bosses and elites to use where they for sure out-damage you and even slotted it is an Endurance Hog. etc. I always lay out a few Poison Traps of course.

Hover, Stealth (@ 0.21/s), Dark Armor (@0.28/sec) from range. Add Venomous Gas (@ 0.33/s) if melee is likely. Envenom and Weaken as needed. 3x End Mod's in Stamina. Switching to Scorpion Armor soon to dovetail with -to Hit. It definitely needs Assault from Leadership, but no way to run it now.

Edited by Omega9

I am shelving the toon. I am on the third patron mission for Black Scorpion and everytime I fight a Boss the toon goes to the hospital. I don't think these bosses are difficult and you can always kite them for a 1v1 battle, but even with Dark Armor the toon is stunned and dead or just doesn't have enough damage mitigation at level 40 to defeat a simple mission boss. No heals, and Poison probably needs at least that, maybe a knockdown or Poison Trap you can throw.

This is just my feedback on Poison. I subbed CoH from 2004 to 2012, was even in the closed beta. Poison is just too tedious when you solo for my taste. With teams it is a good asset for them, but I want more.

Either there's something wrong with your build or your technique. My Poison/Sonic defender solos easily and shreds bosses and EBs. I run Venomous Gas, Stealth, Scorpion Shield and all 3 Leadership toggles and have no endurance issues.

It's a low level issue. There is no way the toon could run all 3 Leadership toggles at level 40. It can't even run Dark Armor and Stealth and get through a mission boss battle. The wimpy Crey Scorpion Armor bosses in the current case. They send my Pistols/Poison corrupter to the hospital almost every time. For now I will get through the solo content on -1 level which I never had to do before.

It could be a Lethal Damage issue. The build is good. Most new players would not have a build this good.

Oops! Just died to a -1lvl Gunslinger boss on the 'Find Info on Quatrexin' mission. Stunned first of course. Obviously I am after the Scorpion Armor, but am I supposed to take 3 purple inspirations for each -1lvl boss until then? I have the Steadfast Protection Defense IO and Shield Wall resist 5% IO.

I almost never level up through the Mission Architect XP farms. I prefer normal content even though it is slower. I really don't see how anyone could accept Poison as functional at level 40 for solo missions. Which you always need to do sometimes.

Unbroken badge just now.

And died again to same -1 lvl Gunslinger boss. :0

Edited by Omega9

Sorry, at level 40 I just have a rudimentary build of power choices on Mid's. Damage powers all have damage maxxed, got all those except pistols. Have all powers in Poison. Venomous Cloud had 2x Endurance Reduction and 2x ToHit Debuff IO's, though I get stunned for sure at that range. I got that -1lvl Gunslinger boss by popping 3x Luck, 1x Righteous Rage, followed by 2x Phenomenal Luck, 1x Resurgence, 1x Emerge when I was stunned and almost went to hospital again. Are we playing the same game? Maybe you folks didn't solo much at level 40? Scorpion Armor will help with all the purple inspiration consumption once I get it.

But I do thank you all.

Edited by Omega9
  • Confused 1