Dual Blade/Regen brute build critique to be the main tanker for 4* ITF/Aeon

DRoddo

• 1 month later

Unfortunately I can't download/use Mids (dead computer) so I can't see the above.  It wouldn't be the first set I'd think of to be a tank on a Hard Mode run, especially if a PuG run.  But if it can be buffed for defense and resistance to the caps Regen does come with one definite advantage a whole lot of self healing and regeneration that Willpower can almost match and isn't readily matched by most.  But you start in a big deep hole for the defense and resists you'll need for tanking in a Hard Mode run.  The build alone on a traditional Tanker like Invulnerability isn't likely to do it without not insignificant external buffs and you'll need those buffs and more which necessarily means strong support characters.  As in defense preferably 130+ maybe higher vs Rommy himself, resists 90 to 100% (iirc).

52 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Unfortunately I can't download/use Mids (dead computer) so I can't see the above.  It wouldn't be the first set I'd think of to be a tank on a Hard Mode run, especially if a PuG run.  But if it can be buffed for defense and resistance to the caps Regen does come with one definite advantage a whole lot of self healing and regeneration that Willpower can almost match and isn't readily matched by most.  But you start in a big deep hole for the defense and resists you'll need for tanking in a Hard Mode run.  The build alone on a traditional Tanker like Invulnerability isn't likely to do it without not insignificant external buffs and you'll need those buffs and more which necessarily means strong support characters.  As in defense preferably 130+ maybe higher vs Rommy himself, resists 90 to 100% (iirc).

When I won the lotto, I'm buying you a new computer

1 hour ago, Gobbledygook said:

When I won the lotto, I'm buying you a new computer

Well I've finally been able to get one and it arrived this afternoon.  Though I thought I'd hit a speed bump as it was all assembled except one part. Yay for supply chain issues.  Fortunately they got whatever part it was, finished, ran their quality control issue and now it waits till we can get everything installed and set up.  So *soon* i hope to never type those words ever again.  And log in for what's going to feel like a second homecoming 😁

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Well I've finally been able to get one and it arrived this afternoon.  Though I thought I'd hit a speed bump as it was all assembled except one part. Yay for supply chain issues.  Fortunately they got whatever part it was, finished, ran their quality control issue and now it waits till we can get everything installed and set up.  So *soon* i hope to never type those words ever again.  And log in for what's going to feel like a second homecoming 😁

YAY!   Just did the same last month.  Had a few odd assembly issues, but once I figured out where I was being stupid, it's been a joy to run.

Though I don't have mids yet installed because I need to see how to get it running on Linux again.  (just a library issue, I think, but I mainly just had mids to look at other people's builds rather than tweak my own)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lemming said:

YAY!   Just did the same last month.  Had a few odd assembly issues, but once I figured out where I was being stupid, it's been a joy to run.

Though I don't have mids yet installed because I need to see how to get it running on Linux again.  (just a library issue, I think, but I mainly just had mids to look at other people's builds rather than tweak my own)

WOOT! Working on getting it running right now.  Well letting my much more computer savvy brother-in-law do it while I keep the 5yr old out from underfoot.  Lots of downloading to do.  Mile down the road from our hot spot location to high speed cable to get it all our most urgent downloads going.

40 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

WOOT! Working on getting it running right now.  Well letting my much more computer savvy brother-in-law do it while I keep the 5yr old out from underfoot.  Lots of downloading to do.  Mile down the road from our hot spot location to high speed cable to get it all our most urgent downloads going.

The ole sneakernet.  Good luck!

I wish you well.  I just saw a Super Reflexes Tank (only Alpha slotted) eat dirt trying to Tank Rom on a 2 star ITF.  I stepped in with my Dark/Invul Brute.  With a hand at my back by one of the teams corruptors I was fine.  

Regen?  Just straight up eat it all huh?  Because there are adds from time to time on top of Rom.  I think My Dark Dark Brute or for sure Dark Dark Tank could do it, maybe without the outside heals....maybe not lol.  But Dark has the best heal in the game.  And so much Resistance, and tons of tricks to screw adds.  But just balls out heal through it all?  

Now you make me want to try a Regen Brute.  Curse you!

27 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I wish you well.  I just saw a Super Reflexes Tank (only Alpha slotted) eat dirt trying to Tank Rom on a 2 star ITF.  I stepped in with my Dark/Invul Brute.  With a hand at my back by one of the teams corruptors I was fine.  

Regen?  Just straight up eat it all huh?  Because there are adds from time to time on top of Rom.  I think My Dark Dark Brute or for sure Dark Dark Tank could do it, maybe without the outside heals....maybe not lol.  But Dark has the best heal in the game.  And so much Resistance, and tons of tricks to screw adds.  But just balls out heal through it all?  

Now you make me want to try a Regen Brute.  Curse you!

Please PLEASE tell me you’re going to do this!  I’d love to see your build and get your thoughts on what it does well.  I’m looking at a SS/Regen brute myself, using foot stomp and hand clap for some breathing room if I need to heal.  Cheers! 

• Like 1

@DRoddo Did you end up trying this?

I imagine one issue could end up being

image.png.00f2d2f4e8bf2d22f13ffef8482dbf6e.png

another will be Dull Pain not being perma, you'll want that.

Regardless, the 4 big accolades will be helpful AND get Demonic Aura also. It will chain nicely with Rune of Protection, Instant Healing, Moment of Glory, etc.

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, detour said:

Please PLEASE tell me you’re going to do this!  I’d love to see your build and get your thoughts on what it does well.  I’m looking at a SS/Regen brute myself, using foot stomp and hand clap for some breathing room if I need to heal.  Cheers! 

I started one of these and will put some time into exploring it over the weekend.  

I love super strength, played for years, gave it up.  Bitter they chose not to fix the crash

I have never played Regen. Rolled a few, never made it past teens.  I will look around the boards for ideas.  I am assuming sets for +health and recharge.  The finer points of whether to fixate on certain bonuses is something i will try to determine.  

I will include hand clap.  Useful during rage crash….possibly.  Accuracy then?   But definitely Foot Stomp and Hand Clap will shake and bake adds.  Another AoE with a Knockdown too maybe…see if that Superior Winter can make it

16 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I started one of these and will put some time into exploring it over the weekend.  

I love super strength, played for years, gave it up.  Bitter they chose not to fix the crash

I have never played Regen. Rolled a few, never made it past teens.  I will look around the boards for ideas.  I am assuming sets for +health and recharge.  The finer points of whether to fixate on certain bonuses is something i will try to determine.  

I will include hand clap.  Useful during rage crash….possibly.  Accuracy then?   But definitely Foot Stomp and Hand Clap will shake and bake adds.  Another AoE with a Knockdown too maybe…see if that Superior Winter can make it

Some quick points of advice: stuff as many FF: +Recharge procs into your build as you can. Hand Clap has a great proc chance with multiple foes. DEF will be worthless. Rage crash and no DDR plus nothing to build on. You're better off chasing RES and Recharge. Accuracy isn't critical if you're doublestacking Rage. End will be your biggest foe, but there are ways around that. I actually have messed around with this in mids a bit and wouldn't mind sharing if you make a proper thread for it.

I will be back to respond to the OP as well (currently at work), but I couldn't resist replying to a potential SS/Regen build as well.

And this goes to anyone wanting to bring a Regen brute to Hard Mode. It is perfectly doable, but will hinge 100% on what support is backing you up.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

DB/Regen will be tough. I would find ways to fit in Knockdown procs in sweeping strike and typhoon's edge. Regen relies heavily on soft controls outside of it's own kit for survival and meshes well with those attack sets with loads of area knockdown/up.  Sets with loads of knockdown/up powers are also FF +recharge enablers which synergize with regen's need for recharge. DB brings none of that to the table and I anticipate that you are going to be in for a rough time building and playing this combo for 4* hardmode with the goals and expectations you set in your ask.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

- Recharge to perma Dull Pain

- As much defense as you can get and still manage perma Dull Pain.

- bonuses against recharge and slow debuffs.

- resistances, like defense, as much as you can get.  The more you got the less you need from support.

- +max health as long as does not restrict the above (i.e. takes a lot of +max health set bonuses to equal or exceed Dull Pains buff).

This is where I'd start.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, DRoddo said:

Looking to get some critique for this DB/Regen build. I've been told Regen brutes make for really good tanks so I wanna see if this holds true for hardmode content

Dual Blade Regen - Brute (Dual Blades).mxd 4.65 kB · 30 downloads

I like a lot of the ideas you got here. Good stuff! RoP is a good choice. Every little bit of burst mitigation that you can cycle through will help, and Burnout is a good option for tense moments (Twin Colossi come to mind).

I took your power picks and reslotted it how I would to give you some more ideas, and also added some choice Incarnates.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

DBRegen: Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Dual Blades
Secondary Power Set: Regeneration
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Sorcery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Nimble Slash

• (A) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage
  • (40) Superior Brute's Fury - Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Superior Brute's Fury - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (42) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Superior Brute's Fury - Recharge/Fury Bonus

Level 1: Fast Healing

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (13) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

Level 2: Ablating Strike

• (A) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (42) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Hecatomb - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (43) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (43) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge

Level 4: Reconstruction

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (5) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (5) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Heal

Level 6: Quick Recovery

• (A) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Increased Run Speed
  • (7) Synapse's Shock - EndMod
  • (7) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Recharge

Level 8: Blinding Feint

• (A) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (37) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (37) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Unrelenting Fury - RechargeTime/+Regen/+End

Level 10: Dull Pain

• (A) Panacea - Heal/Endurance
  • (13) Panacea - Heal
  • (15) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
  • (15) Panacea - Heal/Recharge
  • (17) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge

Level 12: Taunt

• (A) Empty

Level 14: Boxing

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (48) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance

Level 16: Tough

• (A) Titanium Coating - Resistance
  • (17) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance
  • (19) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Recharge
  • (19) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 18: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (31) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (33) Reactive Defenses - Defense
  • (34) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

Level 20: Integration

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (23) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 22: Resilience

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (23) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (25) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (27) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (27) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (33) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 24: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (25) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 26: Sweeping Strike

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown
  • (34) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (34) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 28: Instant Healing

• (A) Panacea - Heal
  • (29) Panacea - Heal/Endurance
  • (29) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Panacea - Heal/Recharge
  • (33) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Maneuvers

• (31) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (48) Shield Wall - Defense
  • (50) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
  • (50) Shield Wall - Defense/Recharge

Level 32: Spirit Ward

• (A) Empty

Level 35: Revive

• (A) Panacea - Heal
  • (45) Panacea - Heal/Endurance
  • (46) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Panacea - Heal/Recharge
  • (46) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge

Level 38: Moment of Glory

• (39) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 41: Mystic Flight

• (A) Winter's Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 44: Rune of Protection

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

Level 47: Super Speed

• (A) Winter's Gift - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range
  • (48) Winter's Gift - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range/Endurance

Level 49: Burnout

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (50) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Fury 

Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Empty
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Swift
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Health
  • (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
  • (3) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (3) Miracle - +Recovery
Level 1: Hurdle
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Stamina
  • (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
Level 47: Speed Phase 

Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Storm Elemental Radial Superior Ally 
------------
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

On 10/27/2022 at 1:59 AM, DRoddo said:

Looking to get some critique for this DB/Regen build. I've been told Regen brutes make for really good tanks so I wanna see if this holds true for hardmode content

Dual Blade Regen - Brute (Dual Blades).mxd 4.65 kB · 30 downloads

Interesting. Your build does not show any incarnates selected but I assume spiritual alpha and barrier core based on your stats, specifically the 82.5% SL res with rune on. It tickles my brain to wonder if you have hit on the same idea that I had, ie cycling 2 min of melee core hybrid, 1 min of rune, 15 sec of mog, 30s of barrier core then try to survive the 15s "hole" by any means possible, after which melee is back up again.

I do not agree with some of your set choices, e.g. titanium coating as they do not seem slot-efficient, and specifically not chasing EN res harder. You really need a lot of neg resists with all the nictuses. I would personally even ditch FC res to chase as much EN as possible with the goal of hitting a good SLEN res breakpoint. I also have to wonder if the DB/ is a concept thing - my first choice would be one of the sets with parry, which can quickly spam it to turtle up vs melee.

I will also point out 1 potentially fatal weakness: you may need much more slow res because all those nictus attacks inflict -rech. You get hit a couple times, all your powers stop recharging and you just die is my experience playing non-def sets vs hardmode nictus.