All Cox servers and teams need to be combined

KingCeddd03

There needs to be more unity in the Cox community 

when can you guys come together with the other servers and make one server and team?
[8:08 AM]
consolidating all the servers and people working on their own version of COX would be better than having more than one
[8:10 AM]
working together for the player base would be more important than serving your own selfish wants for the game

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 14

I don't think you understand how this process works. 

In theory anyone can take the game's writing and format their own version of this game. There are lots of servers that I'm sure exist for only like 5 or 10 people.  Theoretically, you cannot stop this from happening.

Second of all, people fundamentally want different things for CoX. It's really quite like the suggestions forum which you're posting on. Some people will like your changes, and others will not. Some people hate AE and removed that version in their CoX and are completely unwilling to work on any CoX version that features any form of AE. It's just their personal wants/ethics. It would be quite hard to get all parties involved to create a conclusive consensus as to what CoX should be and include.

I'm generally not in favor of this suggestion, let people enjoy CoX in the ways they see fit. There will be multiple developers who aren't willing to work together, and do not have cohesive design philosophies with one another. Hell, some may even be using programs that are entirely different and incompatible for designing the game in the way other designers typically do so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hell would have to freeze over first for that to happen.  It will never happen.

Rebirth's developers want a game more closely hewed to how the game was running while Paragon Studios was in charge.  Thunderspy's developers, as far as I know, hate AE and completely removed it from their game.  They also have more of a "let's try everything and see what sticks" development approach.  New Dawn's developers throw in everything *and* the kitchen sink and completely disregard balance.  In addition, they all hold a bit of animosity towards Homecoming.

Then there's the really tiny servers like Unity and Island of Villains, in addition to probably dozens of private servers.

It's just never going to happen.  The source is out there, people will do with it what they want.

• Like 6

Most anyone who's done the legwork to discover City of Heroes is still up and running is aware of the different servers, and they've chosen the new home that best suits them.  Less options is never better.

• Like 5

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

And which server's version of and vision for the game should be the One True Game?

Whose work over the past few years should we throw out the window and label as "wrong?" Which server's standards and culture are the "right" one?

And who has the right and authority to decide that?

Should we not let anybody else download the source and/or server images? (You can, by the way, spin up a new COH server in under an hour. More work to do custom things, of course, but you can be up and running in no time.)

Didn't think about any of that, did you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

54 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

There needs to be more unity in the Cox community 

when can you guys come together with the other servers and make one server and team?
[8:08 AM]
consolidating all the servers and people working on their own version of COX would be better than having more than one
[8:10 AM]
working together for the player base would be more important than serving your own selfish wants for the game

When can they come together with the other servers? Never, because servers don't work like that.

When can 'the people' come together with the other teams? Never, because Homecoming's devs have very different ideas on game design than the other server dev teams do, and vice versa. That's the whole reason they're separate dev teams who run different servers to begin with.

The different versions of CoX literally cannot be consolidated because with so many different changes and modifications implemented across the different servers, they all utilize different versions of the code. This is akin to stating 'It'd be so much better if I could put a race car engine into a big rig.' It's not going to work just because it's the same type of thing. As for 'working together for the playerbase' that presumes that the entire playerbase of the game - every player who plays on every server - all want the same things. They patently do not, or else there'd already only be one server that everyone plays on. Some people prefer the game the way the HC team runs it, others prefer it the way the other servers run it. That's the entire point of having the choice to play where people want to play and having the code to set up and run servers out in the wild.

Lastly, as far as selfishness goes, that would be demanding a needless and impossible consolidation in-spite of all the hours of work that the HC devs have put in here to improve this version of CoX (and in-spite of all the work the other devs of other servers have put in to make the game that they feel is best on their servers) just because it's what one person wants over the effort and decisions of every single dev team and the entire spectrum of players this game has in its various forms.

• Thanks 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

17 minutes ago, Greycat said:

And which server's version of and vision for the game should be the One True Game?

Whose work over the past few years should we throw out the window and label as "wrong?" Which server's standards and culture are the "right" one?

And who has the right and authority to decide that?

Should we not let anybody else download the source and/or server images? (You can, by the way, spin up a new COH server in under an hour. More work to do custom things, of course, but you can be up and running in no time.)

Didn't think about any of that, did you?

you have made a point i didn't think about. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would love for more people to play homecoming, but this is not going to happen.  As others have said, between the vastly different codes that now exist and the animosity the different dev groups have, I don't see it working.

What this team needs is more Defenders

I just want to post a snippet from Cedd's interaction with another server's leader/developer.
image.thumb.png.d04b2951e0f1bd4d64a8465c1698c6ac.png

So yeah, kinda not helping anyone's case by telling another server's developer that their answers don't matter Cedd.

Do better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

8 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

I just want to post a snippet from Cedd's interaction with another server's leader/developer.
image.thumb.png.d04b2951e0f1bd4d64a8465c1698c6ac.png

So yeah, kinda not helping anyone's case by telling another server's developer that their answers don't matter Cedd.

Do better.

first off your friend was rude to say to drop my question so no he needs to do better

• Thumbs Down 4

2 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

can you guys come together with the other servers and make one server and team?

I get this thought and appreciate the idea. Is one effort or many best, that's obviously a debatable topic. As is what are different efforts strengths and weaknesses.

16 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

rude to say to drop my question so no he needs to do better

..we could probably all do better.

It is disappointing to see a leader say "drop it" and "i'm the one with answers that matter most", but I also don't have the full context.

@Shadeknight trying to take a shot at you by posting a screenshot.. not classy in my book, but on brand.

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Okay, let's say you're not making a bunch of silly threads to flood these forums for some reason:

You told the head person of another server that their answers do not matter. You have tried to push a wiki for superpowers as being the end all be all place. You have reposted ideas from Tyrannical's thread as if they were your own. If anyone needs to do better as a person? It's you. You have made a mess out of the Suggestions and Feedback forum with things that are often bad or wrong.

Secondly, to correct a statement you made in the image? We don't have a lot of freedom when we're in another person's place. We are guests and therefore we do not dictate anything. It is up to those people on what they allow and do not allow. So it is not rude to be told that you have been answered. It is not rude when the head of a server tells you that their answers matter most. What is rude is you and your approach - both here and in other Discords.

You have consistently thrown tantrums or been childish in reaction to being asked to stop - see the events surrounding you stealing from the Eco-Recycling thread. You have tried touting that things are easy. Your threads are filled with people explaining why x wouldn't work, or why what you're doing is bad. Rather than acting your age, you get flustered and lash out. This is evident across your posting history Cedd.

Now, onto the Original Topic of Why can't the teams merge?

• Thunderspy, Cake, and Rebirth work off of OuroDev. Which is different from Homecoming.
  • Design differences. Thunderspy blindly spins the wheel and throws darts, Rebirth tries to adhere to a different method, and Cake? Cake is all about 'what if we did this?' with powersets.
  • Early history of the servers had a lot of Anti-HC mentality simply because of its roots. This has died down, but not all the way - filled with conspiracy theories and us who play HC being called sheep as some examples.

Ultimately, the servers are better fit being split. HC has its vision and its goals - which remain separate from the others.

Alternatively think of it like this: The more there is of the game that is spread the better our chances are. The chances being that the game lives on even if HC is taken down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

unknown.png

10 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Okay, let's say you're not making a bunch of silly threads to flood these forums for some reason:

You told the head person of another server that their answers do not matter. You have tried to push a wiki for superpowers as being the end all be all place. You have reposted ideas from Tyrannical's thread as if they were your own. If anyone needs to do better as a person? It's you. You have made a mess out of the Suggestions and Feedback forum with things that are often bad or wrong.

Secondly, to correct a statement you made in the image? We don't have a lot of freedom when we're in another person's place. We are guests and therefore we do not dictate anything. It is up to those people on what they allow and do not allow. So it is not rude to be told that you have been answered. It is not rude when the head of a server tells you that their answers matter most. What is rude is you and your approach - both here and in other Discords.

You have consistently thrown tantrums or been childish in reaction to being asked to stop - see the events surrounding you stealing from the Eco-Recycling thread. You have tried touting that things are easy. Your threads are filled with people explaining why x wouldn't work, or why what you're doing is bad. Rather than acting your age, you get flustered and lash out. This is evident across your posting history Cedd.

Now, onto the Original Topic of Why can't the teams merge?

• Thunderspy, Cake, and Rebirth work off of OuroDev. Which is different from Homecoming.
  • Design differences. Thunderspy blindly spins the wheel and throws darts, Rebirth tries to adhere to a different method, and Cake? Cake is all about 'what if we did this?' with powersets.
  • Early history of the servers had a lot of Anti-HC mentality simply because of its roots. This has died down, but not all the way - filled with conspiracy theories and us who play HC being called sheep as some examples.

Ultimately, the servers are better fit being split. HC has its vision and its goals - which remain separate from the others.

Alternatively think of it like this: The more there is of the game that is spread the better our chances are. The chances being that the game lives on even if HC is taken down. 

I never took Tyrannical's post and i have the right to voice my option on events. and to insist that i have made a mess out of the forums is ridiculous that is where you post your idea and options, I'm sorry if you think otherwise. i have acted accordingly.  if i deiced to respond to ridiculous questions or give explanations i will, otherwise i would not bother to entertain the conversation 

Edited by KingCeddd03
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

7 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

i have the right to voice my option on events

Well, not entirely.

See, the forums aren't bound by a Constitution or whatever you believe they are bound by. There are rules, yes, but within the form of forums and Discords? The owners and their moderators can Thanos-Snap you out of existance. There is no rights within communities, but simply rules we agree to follow. Those with power can just erase you and your posts if they wish!

In theory I could get Thanos'd for no good reason. This is what you have to accept (though you can call it out and receive possible turn-around) when signing onto the forums or Discords of other communities you yourself do not own.

7 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

I never took Tyrannical's post

You took other's powersets and ideas...and then tried to make them your own.

22 minutes ago, Troo said:

It is disappointing to see a leader say "drop it" and "i'm the one with answers that matter most", but I also don't have the full context.

@Shadeknight trying to take a shot at you by posting a screenshot.. not classy in my book, but on brand.

The context is that Cedd misused a channel, was told why Cake would not be for the idea (among the other servers), and then that exchange happened. I showed it to show the idea of just what Cedd was doing & that he was being his usual self when confronted by the owner telling him to drop it.

Owners of server have the most say was the summary.

Also I'm hardly classy, just look at my forum signature!

(I'm usually classier than this, but Cedd is a blight upon the forums and even I have my limits)

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

unknown.png

30 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Well, not entirely.

See, the forums aren't bound by a Constitution or whatever you believe they are bound by. There are rules, yes, but within the form of forums and Discords? The owners and their moderators can Thanos-Snap you out of existance. There is no rights within communities, but simply rules we agree to follow. Those with power can just erase you and your posts if they wish!

In theory I could get Thanos'd for no good reason. This is what you have to accept (though you can call it out and receive possible turn-around) when signing onto the forums or Discords of other communities you yourself do not own.

You took other's powersets and ideas...and then tried to make them your own.

The context is that Cedd misused a channel, was told why Cake would not be for the idea (among the other servers), and then that exchange happened. I showed it to show the idea of just what Cedd was doing & that he was being his usual self when confronted by the owner telling him to drop it.

Owners of server have the most say was the summary.

Also I'm hardly classy, just look at my forum signature!

(I'm usually classier than this, but Cedd is a blight upon the forums and even I have my limits)

but it seems you and the other god hand have a problem with this your not the leaders of the forums nor your opinion is law and as i recall i have been by one gm about not doing whatever he said i did not to do it again, so i accept that as for any other comments about behaver is irrelevant 

Edited by KingCeddd03
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The spirit of unity is a good concept.  That is all.

The COH has never been a single uniform group.  Even back in LIVE everything was always debated and there was always camps of people.  Now those camps can all have flavors of COH and the Company I Will Not Name will never take that away, nor if one camp self-implodes for a variety of reasons there are many other COH installations out there.

• Thumbs Up 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up.