Classic/Grind Server?

mrdeeds7

7 minutes ago, biostem said:

Why do people want these limitations imposed externally?  Is there some *other* reason as to why they cannot control the manner in which they play for themselves?

Because they want everyone in the world to do it with them of course.

I know a few players who do hard mode challenges I am loathe to try.  But the ones I set for myself I do.

Other folks just want everyone to run along with them dragging the same 100 duffel bag they think they should drag.  Its a mental game.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, mrdeeds7 said:

Of course you can do all this stuff already, but you'll be doing it alone- which is my point.

No, you won't. This thread is proof of that fact alone. You just need to reach out and actually find those that are making the conscious decision to run the game in that manner. There are several threads, and SG's in existence that are focused on the concept(s) you're looking for, all you have to do is search for them.

6 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

This suggestion always gets shut down by other forum posters (and for good reason! Rose-tinted goggles deprive oxygen from your brain.)

For me personally this isn't "shutting it down" but the banality of the fact that the system they proposed is simply a matter of choice, and this topic continues to persist what feels like monthly, if not bi-monthly by one person or another (for well over a year). They even occasionally pop on Reddit "I'm looking for a classic server..." which, on there, fair game that can sometimes be an honest question except for when it's a Homecoming user making the complaint directly targeting back to here.

• Like 1

heck for a few months about a year ago i knew a dozen people that were on "die and reroll" characters.  i think using SO or drops only.  not sure, i never wanted that pain.  they did it nonstop for a couple months at least.  each time one dies, reroll, join back in the team.  not sure how far the longest survivors got.  i suspect after mid 20s and mez city everyone was screwed.

• Thumbs Up 1

This thread spawned a hardmode boss (obviously regen): 

I don’t think my current slotting can handle this encounter…

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:59 PM, mrdeeds7 said:

It would be really cool if there were a server that ran on more old school parameters.

So you want the game as it was originally?

1 "Through the Looking Glass" Raised the level cap from 40 to 50, introduced new high level enemy groups and zones for these levels, and added a tailor feature allowing players to alter character costumes. June 9, 2004

No tailor. No characters over level 40. No auction house. No Rogue Isles. No supergroup bases. No PVP. No power customization. No Praetoria. No 2nd tier travel powers until level 14?

You can impose all of that on yourself whenever you like.

You can make a supergroup of people that impose all that on themselves. But one of you will have to be level 10 before you can create a supergroup (which won't have a base, of course) because that's the "Classic" way to play.

There is no reason to force that on other people.

And I have to admit, there is a huge influx of low-numbers posters coming on and more or less trolling this community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, biostem said:

Why do people want these limitations imposed externally?  Is there some *other* reason as to why they cannot control the manner in which they play for themselves?

They want to force people to team with them is my honest opinion.

What they don't know is we still probably will do like HC now. Get a farming toon and go on our own. Least I know  I would.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

Because they want everyone in the world to do it with them of course.

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

They want to force people to team with them is my honest opinion.

We've been around the block with this enough times that it's clear that some people need "official" rules.  They know they can impose these restrictions on themselves, but a self-imposed restriction can be ignored.  If the game forces them to play a certain way, though, if the restrictions are imposed on them by the game, they can't be side-stepped or disregarded.  It has nothing to do with their peer group, they're not interested in making anyone else play their way, they just want themselves to be restricted in an "official" way so they don't have to deal with the temptation to break self-imposed rules.

I do somewhat understand the problem.  I've been trying to quit smoking for 15 years, since my left lung collapsed, and still haven't succeeded.  Sometimes willpower just isn't enough.  I don't see a separate server with a different set of rules happening here, but I can respect the request from that perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

14 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I do somewhat understand the problem.  I've been trying to quit smoking for 15 years, since my left lung collapsed, and still haven't succeeded.  Sometimes willpower just isn't enough.  I don't see a separate server with a different set of rules happening here, but I can respect the request from that perspective.

I am sorry to hear about your health issues.  

I desperately want to say something like “ have you tried not smoking…”.   There, i said it

But I get what you are saying.  Sometimes having what we consider an “outside force” make the decision is what it takes.   And our own survivability be damned if we are in the drivers seat.  

There was this time in Cleveland.  I knew I should avoid that blood bank, too much security. City full of hunters.  Did that stop me? Nope.  Was digging out bits of shrapnel and 22 rounds for weeks afterward.  

• Haha 1