market variations

Snarky

Just now, PLVRIZR said:

If you sell common salvage to a vendor, does it go into the Auction House available inventory, or is it just eliminated from the game?

It goes poof.  Unless something is passed from one player to another, it's created or destroyed, not recycled.  When you receive a drop, it's created on the fly.  When you sell that drop to a vendor, it's destroyed on the fly.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

[snip]

We're up to three accounts, 100,404,000,000 inf* plus transaction fees (which increase significantly when the player starts re-listing everything for 100,000 inf*) and continually incoming salvage from players, and 141+ hours, at the bare minimum.  That's about 10 days of continuous logging in and out and making transactions on the market (with a little time each day for eating, bathroom breaks, and 8 hours of sleep).

If all of that happens, and no-one sees the common salvage stock dwindling rapidly, no-one goes on a Brainstorm spree and unloads several hundred thousand common salvage, not a single member of the HC team pays any attention or responds to player PMs, then yeah, common salvage could spike up to 100,000 inf* apiece.  Briefly.  I say briefly because I have no doubt that the instant one of the developers did see what happened, they'd log in and dump another 10,000,000 seeded commons, instantly bringing the price back down to 10,000 and leaving the manipulator stuck with 10-11 million pieces of common salvage he/she couldn't sell at the listed 100,000 inf*, resulting in an enormous loss in invested time and inf*.

Not happening.  No-one's that dedicated to chaos or control, and even if someone really tried, the incoming salvage and developer attention would make it a pointless and hideously expensive endeavor.

The bolded part of the (snipped and) quoted post is why I think the on-going play in the common salvage market is coming from a very poorly informed place. I'm trying to catalogue what I can imagine is the thinking behind 45K bids at 809 inf for common salvage.

(1a) It could be a buy-it-nao play to have crafting supplies on hand (for many characters) with the intention of trying to accumulate badges.

(1b) It could be a buy-it-nao play to have crafting supplies on hand (for many characters) with the intention of trying to enter the market as a seller.

(1a) doesn't make sense to me, except that if a player is REALLY committed to such a bit... such that they ALSO want to burn Inf at a crafting table (instead of buying recipes too)... this is one way to burn a lot of Inf and also get something equally ephemeral (badges) in return. This strikes me as such a peculiar waste of Inf and Auction House slots (not to mention time) that I can't imagine a player who has accumulated Inf thinks this is a good idea.

(2) It could be a player who thinks they are going to "corner the market" on some (or all?!) common salvage.

No current player on Homecoming should believe this is possible. I can't rule out that this sort of thinking is a leftover from Live, or possibly from a relatively new player who has been playing on another server. It's not a huge amount of Inf to try this, so it could be someone who has done some farming with a relatively new character and feels like this is their path to bajillions. I find this to be almost believable, because it would take a lot more Inf to try to corner the market on popular crafted pieces (e.g. Luck of the Gamblers) and flip them... but the market would adjust to basically waste that player's time (and Inf). I don't put much belief in this, because it also requires the creation of a lot of characters to place the bids.

(3) It could be a player just trying to get attention.

This feels entirely plausible. The world is full of narcissists. As I wrote, it doesn't take much Inf to do this, and so with relatively small amounts of Inf and not enough imagination to brew up a new character to play, I can imagine a bored player doing such a thing. Hey, she got my attention!

(4) It could be "revenge" on folks who craft, in an effort to slow them down.

There is a public perception that folks who craft enhancements with the intention of putting them on the market are bad for the game. There is also a public perception that groups like "farmers" and "marketers" are at odds, and that each is somehow in opposition to the other. I don't think these are popular opinions; I don't even think that many players hold both of them simultaneously. I have read enough posts such that I can believe that there is at least one player out there who has a relatively modest amount of Inf (and enough characters created) that is willing to be an AFK Market Griefer.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:55 AM, Snarky said:

i am not a "whale"  we both know whales.  they have hundreds of billions.  i think the exact measurement for a whale is if you have stupid billion inf.

i have "virtually" unlimited CoH cash.  As i play i replenish what i spend on alts nearly organically.

except it is a pain to do these ocd driven craft convert sell.  and some dipsticks are pretty obviously hacking the market. 

i know business.  i know math.  i know when i am getting screwed just by looking at it.  been around the graveyard a while.

Less people playing the game. Less farmers. They made it clear that they disliked farming and some have left. Maybe many. Maybe the devs can find bugs in the AH as fast as they do in farming/AE? That would be nice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tidge said:

The bolded part of the (snipped and) quoted post is why I think the on-going play in the common salvage market is coming from a very poorly informed place. I'm trying to catalogue what I can imagine is the thinking behind 45K bids at 809 inf for common salvage.

Maybe someone wanted to spread a little Christmas cheer to players who take the time to list Common salvage on the AH.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

32 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

As of last night ... rare salvage dipped below 500,000

yeah, in my crafting i was buying a bunch at 500k.  when i was done with my few hundred i/os i sold all leftover rares above 5 stack on AH (about 40-50?) and got 444 per

6 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

And exited into the rain spout

There waited the Spider, having climbed again.

The Fly.

The Flea.

Flew no more.

and the little girl saw the spider

while drinking her cider

and picked it up

and ate it down
now the spider is inside her

13 minutes ago, Snarky said:

while drinking her cider

and picked it up

and ate it down

It wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.

But I don't know why she swallowed the fly.

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

12 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.

But I don't know why she swallowed the fly.

She swallowed the flea.

Can I go bigger?

Next can the fly.

But it wouldn't die.

So the spider join in.

Three bugs causing an internal din.

Up stepped the cockroach.

Coyly shaking a can of ....

RAID!!!!!!!!

/e poofgone

On 12/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, Snarky said:

while drinking her cider

and picked it up

and ate it down

Had a spider in the house. My wife said "dont kill it, take it out". I did, we had a few beers, turns out he is a web developer. Really nice guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, the market is FUBAR.

I just struggled through placing about (guestimate) 400 I/Os on the market.  One of the ones I converted to was old reliable Performance Shifter +End, which I sold probably 100-150 at 3.5-4 mil.  Idid this in about a week, grindy but steady.

The last one has been sitting on the market for 3 days.  Prices on the item are 2m, 2.1m, 7m, 2m, 2m.....

WTF?

36 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I just struggled through placing about (guestimate) 400 I/Os on the market.  One of the ones I converted to was old reliable Performance Shifter +End, which I sold probably 100-150 at 3.5-4 mil.  Idid this in about a week, grindy but steady.

The last one has been sitting on the market for 3 days.  Prices on the item are 2m, 2.1m, 7m, 2m, 2m.....

WTF?

giphy.gif

• Confused 1