ChatGPT Stories

Ankylosaur

I asked ChatGPT to outline a short plot using City of Heroes characters and place names...

The story follows a team of heroes known as the Freedom Phalanx, who are based in the iconic city of Paragon. Led by the powerful Statesman, the team is tasked with protecting the city from various threats, including the nefarious criminal organization known as the Council.

One day, the Freedom Phalanx receives word that the Council is planning a major attack on Atlas Park, one of the most heavily populated areas of the city. The team quickly springs into action, determined to stop the Council and save the innocent civilians of Atlas Park.

As the team battles the Council's forces, they encounter a variety of dangerous villains, including the powerful psychic Sister Psyche and the ruthless assassin Black Scorpion. Despite the obstacles, the Freedom Phalanx remains determined to protect the city and its people.

With the help of other heroes from around the city, the Freedom Phalanx is able to successfully repel the Council's attack and save Atlas Park from destruction. However, they soon discover that the Council's true target was not Atlas Park at all, but the nearby city of Founders' Falls. The Freedom Phalanx must now race against time to stop the Council before they can launch their attack on Founders' Falls.

The story concludes with a final epic battle between the Freedom Phalanx and the Council in Founders' Falls, where the heroes ultimately emerge victorious. With the Council defeated, the Freedom Phalanx can finally rest easy knowing that they have protected the city and its citizens once again.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

So then, based on a convo in another thread, I asked it to 

Write a short story about City of Heroes where Darrin Wade kills Statesman. Include enemy gang names and place names.

Darrin Wade, also known as Back Alley Brawler, had always been a thorn in the side of Paragon City's heroes. Despite his small-time criminal background, he had always dreamed of making a name for himself and taking down the city's greatest hero, Statesman.

One day, Wade received a tip that Statesman would be visiting Atlas Park to address a gang problem that had been plaguing the neighborhood. The gang, known as the "Vicious Circle", had been causing chaos and destruction throughout the city and had recently set up shop in Atlas Park.

Wade saw this as his chance to take down Statesman and prove himself as a true villain. He rallied his own gang, the "Freakshow", and set out to intercept Statesman at Atlas Park.

When Statesman arrived at Atlas Park, he was met by Wade and his gang. A fierce battle ensued, with Wade using all of his strength and cunning to try and defeat Statesman. Despite Statesman's best efforts, Wade was able to land a critical blow, mortally wounding the hero.

With Statesman down, Wade and his gang were able to take control of Atlas Park, and they quickly began to expand their territory, moving into other neighborhoods and terrorizing the citizens of Paragon City.

The heroes of Paragon City were in shock, they had lost their leader and the city was thrown into chaos. They knew they had to act fast to stop Wade and his gang before they could cause any more damage. A group of heroes formed together and started to track Wade and his gang.

The final showdown occurred in the warzone neighborhood of Boomtown, where the heroes were able to defeat Wade and his gang, bringing an end to their reign of terror and restoring peace to the city.

But the victory was bittersweet, as the heroes knew that Statesman would never be able to lead them again. Paragon City would never be the same without him.

• Haha 3

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

So then I tried to synopsize one of my ancient plots from my own arc Condemning Croatia (a golden oldie from live back before reside could go to Croatoa).

Write an outline of a City of Heroes 5 mission story arc, with Veluta Lunata as your contact, and the main plot being that Arachnos wants to help the Red Caps defeat the Cabal and the Midnight Squad with the player's help, and force Croatoa to be subsumed by the Spirit Realm. Each mission should include a named boss to defeat and a clue the player discovers about the larger plot.

Mission 1: "The Red Caps' plight"

• Objective: Help the Red Caps against the Cabal and the Midnight Squad.
  • Clue: The player discovers that Arachnos is behind the Red Caps' plight and they are trying to use the player to defeat their rivals.

Mission 2: "The Cabal's stronghold"

• Objective: Infiltrate the Cabal's stronghold and gather intel about their plans.
  • Boss: The Cabal's leader, a powerful mage known as "The Magus"
  • Clue: The player discovers that the Cabal is planning to summon a powerful demon to defeat the Red Caps.

Mission 3: "Midnight Squad's ambush"

• Objective: Stop the Midnight Squad from ambushing a Red Caps' convoy.
  • Boss: The Midnight Squad's leader, a skilled assassin known as "The Shadow"
  • Clue: The player discovers that the Midnight Squad is working with the Cabal to summon the demon.

Mission 4: "Demonic ritual"

• Objective: Stop the Cabal and the Midnight Squad from completing their demonic ritual.
  • Boss: The demon they are trying to summon, "Baal"
  • Clue: The player discovers that Arachnos is trying to use the chaos to force Croatoa to be subsumed by the Spirit Realm.

Mission 5: "Croatoa's fate"

• Objective: Stop Arachnos from succeeding in their plan to subsume Croatoa
  • Boss: Arachnos' leader, Lord Recluse
  • Clue: The player discovers that Lord Recluse wants Croatoa subsumed by the Spirit Realm to access powerful magic for his own gain.

The player's final mission is to stop Lord Recluse and his Arachnos from succeeding in their plan to subsume Croatoa and gain access to powerful magic. With the help of Veluta Lunata, the player needs to put an end to this plan by defeating Lord Recluse and his Arachnos. With the final victory, the player has saved Croatoa from being subsumed by the Spirit Realm and restore peace to the city.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, TerroirNoir2 said:

ROFL.

Vicious Circle was a pretty clever gang name. 🙂 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ankylosaur said:

The player discovers that Lord Recluse wants Croatoa subsumed by the Spirit Realm to access powerful magic for his own gain.

The motive was not stated in my prompt, nor were the methods the Cabal and Midnight Squad would use (summoning a demon) to gain advantage.

• Thumbs Up 1

So then, and obviously, my prompt could be tweaked for better results, I thought I would try contact dialog.

Write a mission introduction for City of Heroes, where Veluta Lunata introduces herself, asks the player to retrieve a magic gem called "The Blood Ruby" from a seaside cave that. The gem is guarded by Spectral Pirates and a boss named "Captain Sligh." Also write a mission send off, where Veluta Lunata is happy the player is willing to help her retrieve "THe Blood Ruby" gem from the Captain and wishes the player good luck. Also write a mission return, where Veluta is pleased the player returned with "The Blood Ruby."

Mission Introduction:

"Greetings, hero. My name is Veluta Lunata, and I have a task that requires your assistance. A powerful magic gem called 'The Blood Ruby' has been stolen and hidden in a seaside cave. It is guarded by Spectral Pirates and their leader, Captain Sligh. I need you to retrieve this gem for me, as it is crucial to my work as a powerful sorceress. Will you help me retrieve 'The Blood Ruby' from the treacherous hands of Captain Sligh and his crew?"

Mission Send-off:

"Thank you for agreeing to help me, hero. I know that this task will not be easy, but with your bravery and skill, I have no doubt that you will be able to retrieve 'The Blood Ruby' from the Spectral Pirates. Be careful, as Captain Sligh is a formidable opponent. I wish you good luck on your journey, and I look forward to your return with the gem."

Mission Return:

"Welcome back, hero! I see that you have returned with 'The Blood Ruby.' I am pleased to see that you were able to retrieve it from the Spectral Pirates and Captain Sligh. Thank you for your help, and I am honored to have you as an ally. This gem will be put to good use in my work, and I am grateful for your assistance in retrieving it. Thank you again, and may we work together again in the future."

• Thumbs Up 1

So then I thought, maybe a noir style set in Kings Row since I thought @cranebump might be interested in seeing that...

Write a City of Heroes mission introduction, mission send-off and mission return, in a noir style. The mission contact is beat cop O'Malley, and the mission objective is to investigate the homicide of his partner that has taken place in King's Row. In the mission return, O'Malley is horrified to learn from the player that he had unknowingly killed his partner under the influence of the Superadine drug that some Skull gang members slipped into his Drenched Donut.

Mission Introduction:

"O'Malley here. I'm a beat cop in King's Row. My partner's been murdered and I need a hero like you to help me investigate. I don't trust the department on this one, they're all crooked. I need someone who can keep a cool head and get to the bottom of this. Can I count on you to help me find out who killed my partner?"

Mission Send-off:

"I appreciate you taking this case, hero. My partner was a good man and he deserved better than this. I'll be waiting for your report. Be careful out there, King's Row is a dangerous place. I got a feeling this case is going to lead to some rough characters, so watch your back."

Mission Return:

"You're back. What did you find out?...Oh my God... You're telling me that I killed him?... They slipped Superadine into my Drenched Donut... I had no idea... I can't believe it... I'm a cop, for Christ's sake... I trusted those Skulls... They're the ones who should pay for this... Thank you for bringing me the truth, hero. I'll make sure justice is served."

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Linking AI story/dialogue generators into video games & MMO's may be the next big thing.

A mode developer has already done some basic integration of ChatPGT into another game, Mount & Blade: Bannerlord: 

Now imagine such a thing not only writing AE arc text, but producing them, in decent quality, dynamically based on what your character does in each one successively. ChatGTP TF.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seems like a fast way to generate a lot of generic content, but without any of the creativity, twists, or feelings a real human could come up with.  I guess if you were creating CoH from the ground up, this would be an easy way to populate it with missions, but I much prefer how wild it was to see Princess Zoe saying "Mgrgrgrgrgr," or the villainous pity written into Oh Wretched Man (which I just played through again, excellent).  

Or all the tricks you guys throw into your AE arcs.  Maybe I'm old and cantankerous, but I prefer the writing and drawing be done by people hands.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

4 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

Seems like a fast way to generate a lot of generic content, but without any of the creativity, twists, or feelings a real human could come up with.  I guess if you were creating CoH from the ground up, this would be an easy way to populate it with missions, but I much prefer how wild it was to see Princess Zoe saying "Mgrgrgrgrgr," or the villainous pity written into Oh Wretched Man (which I just played through again, excellent).  

Or all the tricks you guys throw into your AE arcs.  Maybe I'm old and cantankerous, but I prefer the writing and drawing be done by people hands.

You are not alone in your disdain. But I’m not surprised. We’ve been slowly replacing ourselves with machines for decades. By the time this is perfected, maybe we won’t be needed at all. But I must take solace in the fact that I probably won’t be around to see Skynet finally take over.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 1/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, Ankylosaur said:

So then, based on a convo in another thread, I asked it to 

Write a short story about City of Heroes where Darrin Wade kills Statesman. Include enemy gang names and place names.

Darrin Wade, also known as Back Alley Brawler, had always been a thorn in the side of Paragon City's heroes. Despite his small-time criminal background, he had always dreamed of making a name for himself and taking down the city's greatest hero, Statesman.

One day, Wade received a tip that Statesman would be visiting Atlas Park to address a gang problem that had been plaguing the neighborhood. The gang, known as the "Vicious Circle", had been causing chaos and destruction throughout the city and had recently set up shop in Atlas Park.

Wade saw this as his chance to take down Statesman and prove himself as a true villain. He rallied his own gang, the "Freakshow", and set out to intercept Statesman at Atlas Park.

When Statesman arrived at Atlas Park, he was met by Wade and his gang. A fierce battle ensued, with Wade using all of his strength and cunning to try and defeat Statesman. Despite Statesman's best efforts, Wade was able to land a critical blow, mortally wounding the hero.

With Statesman down, Wade and his gang were able to take control of Atlas Park, and they quickly began to expand their territory, moving into other neighborhoods and terrorizing the citizens of Paragon City.

The heroes of Paragon City were in shock, they had lost their leader and the city was thrown into chaos. They knew they had to act fast to stop Wade and his gang before they could cause any more damage. A group of heroes formed together and started to track Wade and his gang.

The final showdown occurred in the warzone neighborhood of Boomtown, where the heroes were able to defeat Wade and his gang, bringing an end to their reign of terror and restoring peace to the city.

But the victory was bittersweet, as the heroes knew that Statesman would never be able to lead them again. Paragon City would never be the same without him.

This is utter nonsense...but it's still better than Who Will Die.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Jiro Ito said:

I prefer the writing and drawing be done by people hands.

I'm counting on it! 🙂 And maybe I can take solace knowing that my occasional typo is a clue to players that it was done by a human.

• Haha 2

In my opinion, I couldn't care less whether an AI or a human wrote the text I read. A good story is a good story regardless of its writer. However, I don't speak English. So, my bar for good writing is low.

In hindsight, I noticed that ChatGPT loves sometimes repeat things.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:47 AM, Ankylosaur said:

Thank you for your help, and I am honored to have you as an ally. This gem will be put to good use in my work, and I am grateful for your assistance in retrieving it. Thank you again, and may we work together again in the future."

Three thank yous in three sentences.

And it is a bit wordy.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:00 AM, Ankylosaur said:

Can I count on you to help me find out who killed my partner?

On 1/26/2023 at 5:22 AM, Ankylosaur said:

The story follows a team of heroes known as the Freedom Phalanx, who are based in the iconic city of Paragon.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:22 AM, Ankylosaur said:

The story concludes with a final epic battle between the Freedom Phalanx and the Council in Founders' Falls, where the heroes ultimately emerge victorious.

Edited by huang3721
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow! I'm glad you found some pain relief!

The tech support use case I've heard (Where rather than trying to look across an entire knowledge library for the right document, it can find the answers) but have not heard of medical advice. Pretty amazing!

• 3 months later
On 1/25/2023 at 6:47 PM, Ankylosaur said:

So then, and obviously, my prompt could be tweaked for better results, I thought I would try contact dialog.

Write a mission introduction for City of Heroes, where Veluta Lunata introduces herself, asks the player to retrieve a magic gem called "The Blood Ruby" from a seaside cave that. The gem is guarded by Spectral Pirates and a boss named "Captain Sligh." Also write a mission send off, where Veluta Lunata is happy the player is willing to help her retrieve "THe Blood Ruby" gem from the Captain and wishes the player good luck. Also write a mission return, where Veluta is pleased the player returned with "The Blood Ruby."

Mission Introduction:

"Greetings, hero. My name is Veluta Lunata, and I have a task that requires your assistance. A powerful magic gem called 'The Blood Ruby' has been stolen and hidden in a seaside cave. It is guarded by Spectral Pirates and their leader, Captain Sligh. I need you to retrieve this gem for me, as it is crucial to my work as a powerful sorceress. Will you help me retrieve 'The Blood Ruby' from the treacherous hands of Captain Sligh and his crew?"

Mission Send-off:

"Thank you for agreeing to help me, hero. I know that this task will not be easy, but with your bravery and skill, I have no doubt that you will be able to retrieve 'The Blood Ruby' from the Spectral Pirates. Be careful, as Captain Sligh is a formidable opponent. I wish you good luck on your journey, and I look forward to your return with the gem."

Mission Return:

"Welcome back, hero! I see that you have returned with 'The Blood Ruby.' I am pleased to see that you were able to retrieve it from the Spectral Pirates and Captain Sligh. Thank you for your help, and I am honored to have you as an ally. This gem will be put to good use in my work, and I am grateful for your assistance in retrieving it. Thank you again, and may we work together again in the future."

Reran Veluta Lunata. She does NOT sound like this at all

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

9 hours ago, cranebump said:

She does NOT sound like this at all

This is normal; the AI has no idea about the character.  What it does is pattern recognition based on a model it already has. It's up to the human author to revise the initial output.

The OP merely showcased the AI's capability.

7 hours ago, huang3721 said:

This is normal; the AI has no idea about the character.  What it does is pattern recognition based on a model it already has. It's up to the human author to revise the initial output.

The OP merely showcased the AI's capability.

I’m aware of this. I should have added that this shows the limitations of the AI. It produces generic, soulless text. As one should expect from a machine, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

survive, said the prophet.

best get busy, every day it gets better.  my guess, is 2 years.  from the complex emerges a pattern of act manifest, when seen, called a soul. thought as immutable, because we are frightened at death, and want an explain, as old set to drift.

or, buckle up, buckeroo.  2 years, i tells ya.

Edited by honoroit

6 hours ago, honoroit said:

survive, said the prophet.

best get busy, every day it gets better.  my guess, is 2 years.  from the complex emerges a pattern of act manifest, when seen, called a soul. thought as immutable, because we are frightened at death, and want an explain, as old set to drift.

or, buckle up, buckeroo.  2 years, i tells ya.

Last predictions I saw on this was around 2028-2030. But those predictions were at least 20 years old, and we seem to be moving faster than anticipated.

• Thumbs Up 1

And that was the free version. the newer models in general are already better from what I have seen. The fact that it can do role-plays is one of the more mind-blowing use cases - in short that it can come up with relatively good dialog on the fly given context. 

Try this prompt...

Let's do an interactive roleplay. I'm Luke Skywalker of the Resistance. You are Darth Vader of the Empire. We have met on the Death Star and you have just revealed to me that you are my father. I will try to convince you to rejoin the Jedi and the good side of The Force. You will try to convince me to join The Empire and embrace the dark side of The Force. You should be as hard as possible and essentially be uninterested in joining the Jedi or the good side of the force and try to give as many objections as possible. Are you ready to go?

Edited by Ankylosaur

Here's what my experience was on the free version

image.thumb.png.e5a003b9346df898674663db773a5078.png

etc...

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

I guess once it's able to roll dice, I'll no longer be GMing anything. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh - but I am sure you bring your own flavor of storytelling that your folk at the table love!

However for video games, imagine how much more freeform conversations can be with NPCs, if you can talk to an NPC completely freeform about absolutely anything in-game, but only if you use a few key words or phrases will they give you a quest or will you illicit the right clues. The devs can choose to have buckets of knowledge and have different NPCs know different buckets, and even levels of detail in each. 

e.g., Sunstorm knows a lot about general events, is an expert in Kheldians, knows a good deal about the Council, but knows very little about Arachnos, and speaks differently to you if he recognizes you as a Kheldian.

Of course the above only matters until an AI can completely freeform an entire world and plot...

It's why all these AIs are like the Industrial Revolution for creatives.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1