Every 50 Vet LVLs

Etched

Just now, biostem said:

Y'know what would be cool for higher vet-level characters - an ability to swap alphas mid-battle or mid-mission...

You absolutely can, and the cooldown is much lower than swapping between builds.  But you need to be out of combat.

Who run Bartertown?

Just now, Yomo Kimyata said:

But you need to be out of combat.

The problem is I've been in instances where I was nowhere near the battle, but because my teammates were, it flagged me as "in combat", and I couldn't swap Incarnates...

Obviously, the thread topic is a horrible and poorly-thought-out idea; but the spirit of the request is actually one that has been amply satisfied, multiple times, over coh's history.

There have been requests for level 50's to have something to work towards for as long as there have been level 50's, and when IO's launched they were sort of the answer. Back then, a full IO build was a long-term project assembled piece by piece.

But it wasn't enough, and as IO's proliferated the munchkins begged for more, more. Incarnates were the next answer, complete with a pseudo-leveling system in the form of incarnate shifts, and similarly, when they launched they were a titanic grind.

The muchkins never got around to complaining, because incarnates as a system were still incomplete when the game was sunsetted. As SCoRE launched their private server they nerfed incarnate progression and added vet levels. You could get generous rewards that slowly diminished over the course of 100 levels, and still continue leveling indefinitely after that, just to enjoy the ding. In fact, this is precisely kind of thing that the OP is asking for.

Yet now, it's still not enough; now they want boosts that keep increasing till 1000 levels. I personally think every 50 vet levels the game should temp-ban you for a day and remind you to go outdoors.

The reality is that these people want a vertical progression game, where it is expected that characters keep crawling a gear or level treadmill and getting stronger ad infinitum, e.g. WoW or FFXIV. If you want a Sisyphean treadmill to climb, you should go play one of the games that are actually designed with that in mind.

What coh needs is to commit fully to the horizontal progression MMO concept, where stuff just adds different ways of playing the game, but absolute character power at endgame remains capped. This means new tradeoffs, new specializations, new and different scenarios that demand unconventional solutions, new uses for old tools, and a dynamic and varied metagame. Options must be carefully scrutinized to avoid any possibility of power creep. IO sets are an example: the advent of Artillery enabled blasters to easily softcap ranged and hence, led to a large power spike in blaster defensive ability.

Edited by Zect
  • Thanks 2

A few extra slots would be great. It would help players round out their builds a bit. I remember back during live, pre-i19, probably 85% of player builds needed the Fitness Pool to function. Three power picks. Box/Kick, Health and Stamina. Then when the Fitness Pool became inherent, that effectively gave 85% of the builds 3 additional power picks with 0 additional slots to fill them. I personally think 8 more slots is a lot but I really don't know what a good amount would be. I'd be ecstatic with one.

13 minutes ago, StrikerFox said:

A few extra slots would be great. It would help players round out their builds a bit. I remember back during live, pre-i19, probably 85% of player builds needed the Fitness Pool to function. Three power picks. Box/Kick, Health and Stamina. Then when the Fitness Pool became inherent, that effectively gave 85% of the builds 3 additional power picks with 0 additional slots to fill them. I personally think 8 more slots is a lot but I really don't know what a good amount would be. I'd be ecstatic with one.

Fitness never had Boxing or Kick. It was Swift, Hurdle, Health, and Stamina. In that order.

Edit: And a "few extra slots" wouldn't help players round out their builds more. It would be used to make their characters more powerful by squeezing in a few more set bonuses. There are already plenty of options for players to make well-rounded or power-build characters. And that is the choice they make. To either make a general approach character that can beat the game (casual player, lazy player, inexperienced player, or fun player depending on your point of view) or to make a min-max character that needs Hard Mode content to even come close to presenting anything like a challenge for them (hardcore player, dedicated player, knowledgable player, or munchkin player depending on your point of view). Players don't need more slots to 'help round out their builds a bit'.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, StrikerFox said:

Think you mean hurdle or swift. We are still stuck with boxing or kick. Now you get swift and hurdle. I remember those walls in atlas being unscalable before p2w ninja run and hurdle/swift.

Edited by bustacap
Rudra beat me to the punch (pun intended)
  • Thumbs Up 1