Every 50 Vet LVLs

Etched

After 50 you have little room to build a toon even better with the exception of Incarnates. I suggest (Fingers crossed a Dev reads this and thinks it's a good idea) Every 50 vet lvls you gain a single slot to place any where. I believe this would extend the playablity of 50s other than incarnate trials. 

At lvl 100 this begins and ends at vet lvl 500. Allowing a user to gain an extra 8 slots after hittin 50. I understand the code culd be a bitch and a devs time could be focused on QoL somewhere else within the game. 

To be honest... It's a far fetched idea but for those of us that play 50s more then a toon under 50 it would be a nice touch.

@Etched

Edited by Etched
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

This is the definition of power creep. I personally have multiple characters that already have over 500 vet levels and I don't need the extra 8 slots this request would propose.

Part of the genius of the number of slots we get to work with is figuring out how to beat make use of them. Yes this means on occasion you'll have powers that you wish you had more slots for but it is what it is.

Playing lvl 50 toons already have benefit over characters under the level cap in that they have access to more slots, incarnates, superior and very rare IOs, and also Hamidon origin and dsync origin enhancements.

That's why when a lvl 50 toons that's IO'd to the gills exemplars for a Manticore TF for example they plow through them and can often carry a team. Or same with a well built lvl 50 carrying a team of lowbies through +4/8 content.

I don't want to sound harsh to your suggestion, as I'm pretty easy going for most suggestions as I'm made a ton myself over the last 4 years, but I don't see a need for this one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

while i agree this is power creep, its not necessarily a bad thing if balanced properly. Since this is hypothetical and anything goes how about 100 vet levels per slot with no maximum dunno how this would work with veats tho since they get way more power choices than normal AT's. Other games have similar systems in place

#goals or whatever lol 

• Thumbs Down 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

.Since this is hypothetical and anything goes how about 100 vet levels per slot with no maximum...

Veracor hit 20,000 veteran levels over the weekend so that would be a bonus of 200 slots.

A standard AT gets 24 power picks, and 67 additional slots (each power pick unlocks 1 slot automatically).

That would be enough for someone with that many vet levels to 6 slot every power available including inherents and prestige sprints.

The only way I could see us getting more slots is some kind of exchange where you give up a power pick and get 2-3 slots instead. Or maybe go the other way and give up 2-3 slots for 1 extra power. Then it's not just a direct power increase, more of a sidegrade. 

I kind of like that there's a point when a character is "finished" and I don't have to worry about kitting them out any further. In addition to mega power creep this would also make it feel like an eternal grind because then your toon wouldn't be "complete" until every single power had 6 slots in it. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

32 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Veracor hit 20,000 veteran levels over the weekend so that would be a bonus of 200 slots.

There would have to be a limit. Why I suggested it would stop at 500 vet lvls.

Even if it was set at 150/200 vet lvls (which is fine as well) it would have to have a limit (pushin past the 500 vet lvl mark)

Really what this boils down to is a little larger reward for hittin higher vet lvls other then a full cast of insp and some times a badge.

@Etched

42 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

If something like this was going to be implemented, I'd want to see the touchpoints go geometrically - 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc. -- to reduce the number of extra slots, and probably cut them off around five, to prevent them from getting hugely out of control.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

while i agree this is power creep, its not necessarily a bad thing if balanced properly. Since this is hypothetical and anything goes how about 100 vet levels per slot with no maximum dunno how this would work with veats tho since they get way more power choices than normal AT's. Other games have similar systems in place

#goals or whatever lol 

Power creep is always bad. It doesn't matter how anyone tries to balance it, because it is meant to introduce more power into the system. This is a request to simply be able to make the played characters even more powerful than they already are. And as I and others have stated in other threads, in a game not designed for that much power. I am opposed to the OP.

I'm ambivalent either way, but unless the code is changed to allow more than 6 slots per power (hellllllo spaghetti code!) at some point you're going to run out of places to put slots, so that would ultimately be the upper limit.

And I don't think power creep is the big issue some always-contrary people make it out to be. We can already make ourselves godly beyond the range of all available content (there are characters who breeze thru the max difficulty modes without much trouble), so I can't see how raising the bar even further than it already is is going to have any kind of significant impact.

3 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Someone needs to go outside and touch some grass.

51 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The Alpha slot already does the equivalent of this.

No, because it does the same thing to every ability the character has, as long as it can be affected by the type of enhancement the particular Alpha boost gives. This would allow improving individual abilities. I'm not convinced that it's a viable option, but it's not replicating the functionality of the Alpha slot.

5 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Something just clawed at me from the dark recesses of my diseased brain: wasn't there once an intent by Paragon to expand the Incarnate system with more slots?

They did definitely have more incarnate abilities planned (like "Genesis" buff patches), but I don't think they had any plans for adding more standard power slots. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Something just clawed at me from the dark recesses of my diseased brain: wasn't there once an intent by Paragon to expand the Incarnate system with more slots?

Yes, but it wouldn't be tied to vet levels - AFAIK it'd use the current Incarnate crafting system...

22 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Courtesy of Incarnate System - Paragon Wiki Archive

Genesis

Mind

Vitae

Omega (I assume with this one you become Paragon City and little villains and heroes fight on you) 

• Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

The expanded Incarnate system was planned to come into play during the Coming Storm, aka the Battalion Invasion. The intent was that the new content was going to be much more difficult then our current situation incarnate content and use that advanced difficulty to justify the expanded Incarnate system.

There's some limited information in-game discussing the Battalion and the Coming Storm, notably in Ouroboros otherwise there was a former developer discussed some of the plans for the story after the game's sunset, which I'm sure someone has a link somewhere.

20 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

No, because it does the same thing to every ability the character has, as long as it can be affected by the type of enhancement the particular Alpha boost gives.

T2 and higher Alphas improve multiple attributes.  You're correct, they do apply those boosts only to applicable powers, but the fact that they're improving three or more attributes and doing so globally means we gain the equivalent of many extra slots.  If I slot Agility Core Paragon on my Illusion/TA controller, I get a free Defense SO in Combat Jumping, Hover, Evasive Maneuvers and Superior Invisibility, and a free EndMod SO in Stamina, and free Recharge Reduction SOs in Blind, PA, OSA, EMP Arrow, Spectra Wounds, Poisonous Ray, Hasten...

You're trying to make the case that Alphas can't be considered the equivalent of extra slots because they don't necessarily always boost what we want boosted, that it "doesn't count" if you can't slot ten different things in ten different powers, but that's not relevant because Alphas aren't binary and we don't treat them as such.  That SO's worth of +Whatever, +Stuff and +AnotherThing is the equivalent of one or more extra slots in every relevant power, and since we can choose among a wide variety of +Whatever/+Stuff/+AnotherThing options to gain the most benefit to the widest range of powers, we can tailor those slot equivalents to a significant degree.

You'd have a point if Alphas never progressed beyond T1... but they do.  Or if players slotted Alphas which only buffed one attribute for a single power in an entire build... but they can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I'm strongly opposed to the OP's idea, but the alpha slot comparison is kinda silly. The ability to add more power slots doesn't just mean free SO's, it also means more set bonuses which are far more powerful than free SO's could ever hope to be. And that makes his suggestion even more problematic. 

I recall some Devs Answer from Live when they increased the slots for hitting lvl 50 that more slots would break something in the game code to a full breakdown, hence the idea they circumvented that with how Alpha Slot works.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

34 minutes ago, FupDup said:

I'm strongly opposed to the OP's idea, but the alpha slot comparison is kinda silly. The ability to add more power slots doesn't just mean free SO's, it also means more set bonuses which are far more powerful than free SO's could ever hope to be. And that makes his suggestion even more problematic. 

Alphas make it possible to shuffle slots around without sacrificing attribs in powers, consequently permitting different slotting strategies which can lead to more set bonuses.  You can't retain maxed out everything plus better bonuses when you exemplar below 45, but that's intentional.

Alphas were the answer to requests for more slots since the game launched.  HC isn't going to change that answer simply because more people ask, because Alphas are controlled.  Raw slots would not be.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.