Focused Feedback: Redraw Revamp

19 hours ago, Number Six said:

whatever the hammerspace justification is for juggling a gun and a sword and whatever else somehow.

I'm imagining a character actually literally juggling their gun, their bow and their mace and making attacks with each one as they come back down before tossing them up again and that is the most hilarious mental image I've had in a while, so thanks for that.

• Haha 2

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

On 4/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, KaizenSoze said:

Of all the VEATs, Banes/Huntbanes benefits the most.

In brief testing my awful melee Crab build (currently at level 26) is considerably improved.  Up to "sucks" from "sucks hard".  I think buffs to powers such as Channelgun, Slice and Longfang are necessary to make non-pet Crab builds even decent.  I really shouldn't be using Burst and Bayonet as my main Crab attacks., but I am, so the redraw change helps.

I worry that Snipe powers might suffer if they have the added redraw - It gives an additional thing/time when they can be interrupted or targets can move out of line of sight.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:21 AM, Gobbledigook said:

Speed some of the Staff Fighting animations up a little and it could be worth playing now 🙂

Staff suffers from not having a No Redraw option (this might have been changed since I played Staff.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, Number Six said:

If it's working correctly, you should draw your weapon(s) once at the start of a mission, or if you are idle long enough to go into a non-combat ready state. The reason for having the reset trigger on the ready animation is simultaneously for convenience, so an active player won't have a lot of redraw to deal with, and also for immersion purposes and trying to make the behavior seem intuitive.

Running counts as idling, I have tested.

Idle time is 20-25 seconds.
"immersion and intuitive" are understandable if it doesn't interfere with gameplay or theme. Since it conflicts with a character theme of pragmatism (DP gun spinning before taking a shot and again after... rofl) it's actually totally immersion breaking in my case... it's just goofy.

This is not a one-size-fits-all solution, and is being forced.

There was another argument from another dev about this new system causing issues with spaghetti code when trying to never redraw in combat...
If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

If we can't have the option of No Redraw, this doesn't improve character theme... it takes it away from those of us who think this unnecessary flair is ridiculous.

Fix the weapon sets that are troublesome without hurting everyone else in the process please.

• Like 2

• City Council
3 hours ago, dinosaur_nerd said:

Running counts as idling, I have tested.

Idle time is 20-25 seconds.

That would be a bug. An issue causing the stance timeout to erroneously cause redraw even if you're in a different animation has been fixed internally and should be in the next brainstorm patch.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:34 AM, Starfox said:

Staff suffers from not having a No Redraw option (this might have been changed since I played Staff.

Nah, it just suffers from long animations.  Even though it was one of the later sets, it still didn't get balanced by animation time.  The original design balanced only around factors like recharge time, AoE area, and other attack effects.  The animation time was literally just whatever the animation ended up being and apparently no adjustments were made to either penalize short animation attacks or benefit long animation attacks.

Staff could use some adjustments to bring up the damage of its slower animating attacks but then again... so could a lot of other powersets probably.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, Green Bean said:

Tried this out on my Fortunata. Obviously, no difference in mechanical performance, but mixing in Dominate or Gloom in the middle of a claw power chain feels way smoother. Can't wait for this to hit live!

Same.  I can tell myself there's on real difference in performance on my Rad/Staff tanker every time I redraw after using a click Rad power, but it's still aesthetically displeasing to laboriously redraw.  It feels slower even when the stopwatch tells you different.  And it's a bit janky when you properly queue powers to see those animation cancels happen after redraw.  So looking forward to that being gone.  Bonus points if it gets rid of some of the animation-not-p[laying problems.

I made a crab spider using the rifle attacks and soul mastery (like one I have on live). Being as though I just wanted to test redraw, I simply went to the Vanguard base and blasted away at the target dummies. The redraw that plagues the character on live was completely gone, so I'm happy. I didn't test all that extensively. 

• Thumbs Up 1