first time build tips

Sipps2

1 minute ago, Sipps2 said:

Going to try and build a build for the first time. Any tips or any guides or websites to assist with this? 

Well, I hope you have MiDs?  If not, that is definitely a first step

Second is a lot of questioning and exploring.  How expensive / cheap?  What are your build goals? What do you want the build to be able to do?

There are some great builders on the boards.  Finding their builds and copying is a great place to start.  Finding who is good takes research.  Hyperstrike wrote the book on Invul Armor.  he has templates for each AT.  Looking on the boards (long research I know) can be both confusing and rewarding.  Focus on what you want and your budget.  

The best practice I got for making my own builds* was by copying others', then later once I felt I had a handle on things, starting to make changes to them to fit my tastes.

*Mind you, I still hardly ever make one from scratch - I usually still grab one and then start making changes, but I do so more confidently.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Personally for someone new to making builds, I suggest using mids at first and actually make yourself like 4 or 5 different builds for the toon your looking at building. Try different IO combinations, different slotting amounts. Get funky with it. The more you experiment the better you'll get at making builds.

Some of us have been making builds for so long now it's like second nature, but even so, I might make a build different from say player B or Player C, but as long as you are meeting your build goals that's the important thing. Once you meet your build goals on multiple approaches, then you can really get down and dirty towards slot efficiency and that's where you'll grow quite a bit in skill.

Are we talking about fresh outta Breakout, figuring out what DOs and SOs are and whether or not to 6-slot accuracy?

Or stepping into IOs and wondering if a 5% recharge rate is worth an extra slot?

Or advanced tips and tricks like how to get enhancements from the Secret Cow Level?

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

10 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Are we talking about fresh outta Breakout, figuring out what DOs and SOs are and whether or not to 6-slot accuracy?

Or stepping into IOs and wondering if a 5% recharge rate is worth an extra slot?

Or advanced tips and tricks like how to get enhancements from the Secret Cow Level?

The first rule of Secret Cow Level is one does not talk about Secret Cow Level.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

3 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

The first rule of Secret Cow Level is one does not talk about Secret Cow Level.

o-COW-facebook.jpg

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.