Build Request - Savage Melee & Regeneration

Stunticon_Mechanic

Savage Melee and Regeneration don't have any particular synergy together -- they are both good sets but don't work particularly well together.  I would look at the power and epic pools closely (I think Force of Will would be a good choice).  Also, I would try to put a knockdown proc in your AoE attacks -- that will give you a little bit more of breathing room for defensive healing!

Who run Bartertown?

15 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Savage Melee and Regeneration don't have any particular synergy together -- they are both good sets but don't work particularly well together.  I would look at the power and epic pools closely (I think Force of Will would be a good choice).  Also, I would try to put a knockdown proc in your AoE attacks -- that will give you a little bit more of breathing room for defensive healing!

Having played a SM/Regen to 50, and then SM/SR, SM/Shield, and Kinetic/Regen to about 40, I have to disagree.  Savage works REALLY well with /Regen on account of SM giving you +Recharge.    I will absolutely agree that putting Overwhelming Fear in Shred to get extra Knockdown is also very very helpful.

I don't have Mids, so I can't share a build.  But I would try to pick up ShadowMeld because /Regen's big issue is getting hit by Slow and -To Hit from +4 bosses, EBs, and AVs.   Mitigation wise, adding more Resist would be better for /Regen, but that does nothing help you against the debuffs.

IME, /Regen is better than Willpower on straight IOs.  But if you had unlimited Influence, I would expect Willpower has a higher ceiling....maybe

Edited by Blackjoy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackjoy said:

Having played a SM/Regen to 50, and then SM/SR, SM/Shield, and Kinetic/Regen to about 40, I have to disagree.  Savage works REALLY well with /Regen on account of SM giving you +Recharge.

You are absolutely correct -- I totally spaced on the recharge aspect of Savage.  Thank you for correcting me!

IME, /Regen is better than Willpower on straight IOs.  But if you had unlimited Influence, I would expect Willpower has a higher ceiling....maybe

But here I disagree and I actually feel that it's the opposite.  Willpower is great at set and forget, but once you start getting at the high end of the difficulty slider, you are going to need an oh shit button or two or four, and that's where Willpower falls apart in my book.

But I would try to pick up ShadowMeld because /Regen's big issue is getting hit by Slow and -To Hit from +4 bosses, EBs, and AVs.

Speaking of oh shit buttons, I feel that Regeneration has 2 1/2 built in (Instant Healing but you have to use it as a preemptive move, Moment of Glory, Dull Pain if you use it as a spot heal counts as the 1/2).  From the epics, Shadow Meld is a fan favorite, partly because you also end up with Moonbeam, and I actually like Hibernate because you get endurance recovery too (which clearly is not an issue for a regen).  But Unleash Potential from Force of Will pool is the real winner in my books.

I think I have one DM/regen scrapper that has Shadow Meld and Unleash Potential, and 99% of the time the extra oh shit button goes unused and wasted.  But that 1%!

Who run Bartertown?

On 5/19/2023 at 8:01 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

ut here I disagree and I actually feel that it's the opposite.  Willpower is great at set and forget, but once you start getting at the high end of the difficulty slider, you are going to need an oh shit button or two or four, and that's where Willpower falls apart in my book.

As it turns out, we actually agree.    I ran staff/wp  to 50 and I initially  thought Willpower was what /Regen wanted to be when it grew up.  In the mid 20's, it kind of plateaued.   As I started ratcheting up the difficulty, I found it quickly got overwhelmed.   The problem is exactly as you say, it lacks a +heal that can help it recover from alpha strikes. and big hit EBs and bosses.   Willpower needs a big group to pump its +regen, but it struggles to cope with the damage.    However, /WP, unlike /Regen, has some a little +def/-to Hit, I think slotted to max, you can get like 20% +DEF to typed damage and about 10% to S/L .  That doesn't seem like much, but if you stack it with Weave/CJ/Stealth, you can get it well beyond what /Regen has.  WP has a few more layers of mitigation than /Regen and also isn't really imipacted by -recharge like /Regne is.

i have to say, I've been playing my high 30's KM/Regen back to back with my SM/Shield, and /Regen is so much more survivable when you're running IOs.  I don't now why I thought Shield was so good.  For the mid-game, its fairly mediocre.

Edited by Blackjoy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackjoy said:

As it turns out, we actually agree.    I ran staff/wp  to 50 and I initially  thought Willpower was what /Regen wanted to be when it grew up.  In the mid 20's, it kind of plateaued.   As I started ratcheting up the difficulty, I found it quickly got overwhelmed.   The problem is exactly as you say, it lacks a +heal that can help it recover from alpha strikes. and big hit EBs and bosses.   Willpower needs a big group to pump its /regen, but it struggles to cope with the damage.    However, /WP, unlike /Regen, has some a little +def/-to Hit, I think slotted to max, you can get like 20% +DEF to typed damage and about 10% to S/L .  That doesn't seem like much, but if you stack it with Weave/CJ/Stealth, you can get it well beyond what /Regen has.  WP has a few more layers of mitigation than /Regen and also isn't really imipacted by -recharge like /Regne is.

i have to say, I've been playing my high 30's KM/Regen back to back with my SM/Shield, and /Regen is so much more survivable when you're running IOs.  I don't now why I thought Shield was so good.  For the mid-game, its fairly mediocre.

I've ran WP, and it's t9 is a great alpha absorber.  I've wanted to make a a new WP to see if I can make it better than I had on live, which I did solo ITF without Incarnates and no death with IO build.  However, I think outside of Dual Blades being good DPS without much recharge it was hard to get the recharge on other sets for decent st dps.

11 hours ago, BrandX said:

I've ran WP, and it's t9 is a great alpha absorber. 

I haven't found it to be very effective at 4x8.  

What diff are you running ITF at?  When you say 'without incarnates" do you mean you haven't created any or you didn't click any?  Because if you've got them slotted, then you may be still getting a level bump.  

11 hours ago, Blackjoy said:

I haven't found it to be very effective at 4x8.  

What diff are you running ITF at?  When you say 'without incarnates" do you mean you haven't created any or you didn't click any?  Because if you've got them slotted, then you may be still getting a level bump.  

1/whatever minimum team make up was to start it.   And no Incarnate slotted.  DP/WP.  BF>Attack Vitals>Repeat  This was back with Paragon Studios.  Test to see if I could do it really.  Had to back off and reset AV a few time in last mission.

As for 4/8  When someone says that difficulty I have to ask, what are you running against and what where you using before that 4/8 ran so well?  Did you use inspirations?  Incarnates?  Temps?

On 5/28/2023 at 9:25 PM, Thrax said:

Proc the hell out of the leap. It’s like a blaster nova. 

Does that also work for shield charge, elec melee's lightning conductor thingy, and the one in leaping perchance?

8 hours ago, Herotu said:

Does that also work for shield charge, elec melee's lightning conductor thingy, and the one in leaping perchance?

Not as well as Savage Leap, if my memory serves correct.

It has been a while since I looked deeply into it, but if I remember correctly: Charge and Lightning Rod are actual pseudo-pets and use that math for PPM.  I think Spring Attack is the same.

Savage Leap is not a pseudo-pet. It's a single-target, no damage teleport power that triggers a zero activation time AoE power, so uses the base AoE PPM math.  It just happens to be in the recharge sweet spot for a 90% rate of return without having a bunch of extra downtime.

UnFun-Fact:

The zero activation time of Savage Leap AoE Power is the reason it does not benefit from Brimstone damage; or it didn't as of /Stone's run through Beta. I've not seen a patch note indicating that was fixed, but I might have missed it.

Double-Edit: Someone with a better memory for these things correct me and I'll strike through my potentially inaccurate babble.

Edited by InvaderStych
formatting
  • Thanks 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.