Kraven the Hunter

Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Russell Crowe

Far more violent than anything I've seen before regarding Kraven.  There's a red-band trailer out there, too, which is surprising, because this one is more violent and bloody than I'd thought a standard trailer would be.

I'm puzzled by the revelation that Kraven has powers.  I thought the comics established that he was a normal human highly honed to combat and hunting, with possibly an occasional boost from rare witch doctor potions.

It looks like could be a really good action movie. I noticed that Sony seems more likely to put out Spidey-villain movies these days that don't even mention REDACTED. I'm sure it's some weird licensing rights thing but if they can make good ones it might be a breath of fresh air. People do love a good villain story.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Batman looks so sad. Superman looks like he had a little too much fun at the bar. Maybe they were both hammered and that's the drunk tank?

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

Batman looks so sad. Superman looks like he had a little too much fun at the bar. Maybe they were both hammered and that's the drunk tank?

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.  Supes was attacked by Metallo, had a fragment of Kryptonite lodged in his chest.  Bats rescued him, they escape through the sewers.  Supes still has the Kryptonite in him when they have this conversation, and Bats was hurt during the escape, so yeah, they're both a little messed up at that moment.

The animated film was adapted from the comic of the same name.  It's good.  The banter alone makes it worth watching.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

The problem I have with the way that Kraven is depicted in the trailer is that, being an antihero/ villain, he is guaranteed to run into multiple "why don't you just kill him" scenarios;  For heroes, it's understandable why they don't just slit some bad guy's throat right away, but if he leaves even 1 opponent alive, without really really good reason, I'd have to throw my hands up and balk at any further situations he runs up against due to those (in)actions...

Too me, it felt like one of those straight to video Marvel movies from the 80s.  Something just seems “off” about it.

Maybe it’s the fact that it’s Sony, and I haven’t liked any of their Marvel movies since Spider-Man 2

• Like 1

I had a sudden flashback to Roger Corman. He had (for him) a solid hit with Star Wars/Magnificent Seven knockoff Battle Beyond The Stars, then spent the next 20 years making even cheaper knockoffs of his own movie recycling the same FX and music. This feels very much like Sony went the same way, but creating a knockoff of Morbius is... a choice.

More thoughts:

• Russ Le Roq is phoning in a performance as thinly-veiled Sergei Prigozhin clone (also a choice, given current events).
  • Big retcon to Kraven's background, but comes out a bit less silly than before...
  • ...sadly, they didn't retcon the outfit as wellDahling, neck ruffs were so last Met Ball, and nobody wears real fur any more.
  • Sam Taylor Johnson should make a decent meal of any dramatic meat they throw him, but the physicality would be much more Momoa territory.
  • Wikipedia says the last few reels should have a time-jump and physical change, for which no CGI was used (probably too expensive. Gonna have to be one hell of a muscle suit though. I don't think anyone could get through enough chicken to bulk that much.)
  • Their "Rhino" isn't a guy in a suit, they're some other kinda science experiment. So it's yet another hero vs similar villain boss fight. Meh. 
  • Director is JC Chandor, after Equalizer's Antoine Fuqua (say that carefully) decided against the project.
    He is, oddly enough, an award-winning indie darling having a crack at a corporate cape gig.
    Because that's never been done before, always goes well, and the director doesn't ever get chewed up and spat out by the machine in the process. At all.

Oh, and I note that Kraven seems to have Beast Mastery / Savage Melee powers, which would be an interesting MM combo choice.

So if Sony execs are reading this and quietly stealing our content, how about this rather clever, wisecracking psychic goth girl with healing powers and a penchant for terrible puns? I can do a treatment in a couple of days...

EDIT: checking into Taylor-Johnson, his next gig's more interesting - playing a missing movie star in the big screen adap of yet another 80s teatime favourite, The Fall Guy. Though how they're going to convince people Ryan Gosling should play a washed up stunt guy with a face like a leather bag full of hammers is another question. Lee Majors, naturally, is in it, so maybe he's Colt Jr?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

45 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  • Big retcon to Kraven's background, but comes out a bit less silly than before...  I'm baffled at that.  Kraven is interesting in part, because he is a normal guy honed to physical perfection going up against supers that should be able to utterly wreck him.
  • ...sadly, they didn't retcon the outfit as wellDahling, neck ruffs were so last Met Ball, and nobody wears real fur any more.  I get the impression from the trailer that the fur is considered an important trophy, like the claws on his leather necklace.
  • Sam Taylor Johnson should make a decent meal of any dramatic meat they throw him, but the physicality would be much more Momoa territory.  Momoa, like The Rock, tends to be overused for this kind of stuff, though I can see what you mean.  I welcome fresh blood. (Oh...that was not an intended pun.) Looking over the trailer, if Jake Gyllenhaal hadn't already played Mysterio, I could see him doing this role.  Let others say what they will, I still like him in Prince of Persia.
  • Their "Rhino" isn't a guy in a suit, they're some other kinda science experiment. So it's yet another hero vs similar villain boss fight. Meh.  Rhino should have never ended up in a ridiculous suit (What am I say?  Everything about Rhino is ridiculous) Rhino was always a super strength/invulnerable mutation or science tank, and that's how it should be kept.  Whether he has a facial horn and a tick bird or not is irrelevant.  The code name says it all.

Oh, and I note that Kraven seems to have Beast Mastery / Savage Melee powers, which would be an interesting MM combo choice.  Wow!  I agree, but do we have any MM melee powerset?  I don't have the game pulled up at the moment.  There'd have to be some notable defense in the set.

EDIT: checking into Taylor-Johnson, his next gig's more interesting - playing a missing movie star in the big screen adap of yet another 80s teatime favourite, The Fall Guy. Though how they're going to convince people Ryan Gosling should play a washed up stunt guy with a face like a leather bag full of hammers is another question. Lee Majors, naturally, is in it, so maybe he's Colt Jr?  Lee is likely the father/grandfather figure here, and Gosling is playing the old role.   Incidentally, I was reading something recently where it stated they've repeatedly attempted to bring The Six Million Dollar Man to the big screen (probably Six Billion Dollars now) but the project keeps hitting snafus and stops.  Lee has apparently been begging them to get it moving while he's still upright and cameo-worthy.

44 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I'm baffled at that.  Kraven is interesting in part, because he is a normal guy honed to physical perfection going up against supers that should be able to utterly wreck him.

Per Wikipedia and Fandom (which was ripped off from the old Marvel Database), Kraven is a maniacal big game hunter, given powers and longevity by a serum from voodoo priestess Calypso. He'd need to be, since by the time of his first Spidey adventure he's in his mid-fifties.

But the whole Beastmaster riff is new (if he allies with gigantic guard-digesting bats, we'll know what's up). The comic version is a proficient combatant in all forms and with most kinds of weapon, has enhanced senses, and trains attack animals. I guess the psionic link or whatnot saves the movie from having to do a Rocky training montage with lions/eagles/hamsters/whatever.

56 minutes ago, Techwright said:

The Rock tends to be overused for this kind of stuff, though I can see what you mean.

The WWE-to-flicks pipeline is also overused, but they can hit marks, do stunts, pose, and say the odd line. Which is pretty much all you need for a half decent cape flick. And well, Kraven is fond of the odd bit of grappling.

To whit, I present one Seth Rollins: recent WWE Champion, appropriate stature and physicality, and one of the few people for whom the Kraven outfit can be considered an upgrade, because DEAR SWEET GODDESS IN ASGARD WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE. Does Jimmy Buffett have fans in goth subculture? I dunno...

497913746_Screenshot2023-06-26at14_37_07.thumb.png.e13e1b217a88df4b33cf2398bf30e173.png

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

4 minutes ago, Panache said:

In the year of our lorb 2023? 

Our lorb? Are you still playing Ratchet & Clank in 2023?

Like I say, it's an overused thing. But occasionally, it produces decent results.

The Rock basically is the Rock rather than an actor (and the only time they've strayed too far off that core persona likeable-badass with Black Adam, it's not gone well.) Cena, given James Gunn's direction, gleefully subverted his WWE persona for The Suicide Squad and the Peacemaker series and has shown himself capable of surprising range in other flicks. And then of course there's Dave Bautista, who's done Blade Runner 2049GOTG, Glass Onion, and more, and generally turned out pretty well. Hoping he gets more to do in Dune Part Two, but he's a much more terrifying Beast while he's around...

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

One of the better, scarier, more convincing henchmen.

For a big guy, he's often very economical with his movement, voice and presence, which gives him this air of menace and power in reserve.

And while I don't necessarily recommend you see Knock At The Cabin, Dave's relentlessly earnest and maybe-psychotic Len Brocht is the standout character.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 4:35 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I had a sudden flashback to Roger Corman.

I've met more than one Director and/or 1st AD who got their start as a PA for Corman. One would be very surprised how many careers his company launched. 🤣

I know nothing about this Kraven character. Looks like typical "movie night with the fellas" fare - potentially enjoyable but nothing special.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

One would be very surprised how many careers his company launched.

There's a whole section called "The Corman Film School" on his Wikipedia. I'm a serious film nerd and didn't know a third of them.

(And maintained a sense of humour about it. Per Ron Howard, Corman said "do a good job on this movie, and you'll never have to work for me again.")

I also didn't know he directed the OG version of Little Shop Of Horrors - with a young lad called Jack Nicholson on the cast.

But the thing that makes me happiest to know of all - he's still alive, and still working, at age 97.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

But the thing that makes me happiest to know of all - he's still alive, and still working, at age 97.

Wow. This I didn't know. Definitely lost track.

Also completely forgot or never knew many on that list. Particularly Bogdonavich and Kaminski.

8 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I feel the same way about Dick Van Dyke.   Every time he pops up somewhere, unexpected or not, it's a gift to his fans.  I hope the rumors are true, that he won't pass on until he's learned a proper Cockney accent.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 7:44 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

while I don't necessarily recommend you see Knock At The Cabin, Dave's relentlessly earnest and maybe-psychotic Len Brocht is the standout character.

I don't know how you're not recommending the movie by posting this clip. I've not seen it but now I feel I must.

It's worth a look for Big Dave proving he can hold a movie together - a proper movie, not just an action flick or a comedy (though he's damn good in Glass Onion), or as a superior guest henchman/smarter muscle (Mongo only pawn... in game.. of life.) 

Plus little star Kristen Cui, Hamilton's Jon Groff stepping out of his kingly robes for some Big Drama, and quite beautiful cinematography.

Oh, and Ron Weasley getting brutally murdered. Bonus!

But - and if you wanna not read me being a movie snob b**ch here - skip this bit till you've seen it...

Spoiler

It's got that one core choice that you're driving through to the end with, and any alternate path is a well-telegraphed dead end. It's very dependent on maintaining Very Serious Grim Tension, In Title Case... which isn't easy with plot holes you can drive a Mack truck through. And the odd bit of leaden scripting - though in this case, it's MNS lifting from the book rather than trying to explain a vision to the audience.

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

I hope the rumors are true, that he won't pass on until he's learned a proper Cockney accent.

Well, that's one way of ensuring immortality. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Well, that's one way of ensuring immortality. 

Truth. 🤣

"Big Dave" was fantastic in Glass Onion (particularly after the reveal on his "situation"), but I gave up on MNS's films after Signs. If he's moved on from being a "one trick pony" and stopped appearing in his own films I might give him another go. A buddy said I would probably like Split, but I've not gotten there yet.

There was a question up-thread about using Pro Wrestlers in films; remember those guys and gals are specialty actors first, stunt performers second, and personalities third. The actual act of wrestling is pretty far down the list of things they're actually doing.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

I don't know how you're not recommending the movie by posting this clip. I've not seen it but now I feel I must.

Really good and engaging movie….until the last 20 minutes 😞

so I just found this... I've been living under a rock for other reasons...

But this cannot figure in the MCU...

Except and unless Kraven is a son of Zeus. Which is entirely possibly given how he liked to get his end away with all and sundry...

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.