Replace Ms. Liberty as the Atlas Park trainer.

This conversation has me contemplating What Ifs.

What if Freedom Corps had taken a page from Nemesis and Crey, and the Atlas Park Ms. Liberty is actually a clone (or automaton) placed there so that the real Ms. Liberty could take over Statesman's duties? (The ones Positron hasn't taken over I mean. The TF.)

What if the Atlas Park Ms. Liberty is a look-alike stand-in filling in because the Freedom Phalanx and Vindicators don't want Recluse to be alerted to the fact Ms. Liberty is leading the investigation her grandfather was doing prior to his demise? (The TF.)

What if Ms. Liberty was making use of Ouroboros to be in multiple places at the same time? Like the Magic Man tried to do, but without a cursed pocket watch and actively avoiding where she already is to avoid the paradox Magic Man succumbed to? (Which might also explain why she is also in Pocket D for a few weeks?)

What if we just didn't worry about it because we have War Witch (who is actually from different time lines/realities), Mercedes Sheldon, and the missions where contacts/trainers are also in the missions with us while our friends are interacting with the contact/trainer and laughing about it in chat with us? ("I'm with Positron now. I won't move from the mission door until you finish training up and get over here." "Okay, but I'm standing right next to Positron in Steel Canyon right now. So how are you with him too but not here?")

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add "o" to "to" and add misisng punctuation.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Maybe the heroes that appear to be in multiple locations are Nemesis automatons... anyone check either Ms. Liberty for gears & cogs?

I've seen some people try and get slapped around for their troubles.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

This conversation has me contemplating What Ifs.

What if Freedom Corps had taken a page from Nemesis and Crey, and the Atlas Park Ms. Liberty is actually a clone (or automaton) placed there so that the real Ms. Liberty could take over Statesman's duties? (The ones Positron hasn't taken over I mean. The TF.)

What if the Atlas Park Ms. Liberty is a look-alike stand-in filling in because the Freedom Phalanx and Vindicators don't want Recluse to be alerted to the fact Ms. Liberty is leading the investigation her grandfather was doing prior to his demise? (The TF.)

What if Ms. Liberty was making use of Ouroboros to be in multiple places at the same time? Like the Magic Man tried to do, but without a cursed pocket watch and actively avoiding where she already is to avoid the paradox Magic Man succumbed to? (Which might also explain why she is also in Pocket D for a few weeks?)

What if we just didn't worry about it because we have War Witch (who is actually from different time lines/realities), Mercedes Sheldon, and the missions where contacts/trainers are also in the missions with us while our friends are interacting with the contact/trainer and laughing about it in chat with us? ("I'm with Positron now. I won't move from the mission door until you finish training up and get over here." "Okay, but I'm standing right next to Positron in Steel Canyon right now. So how are you with him too but not here?")

Sorry, can't do it. The original devs had Ms. Liberty right there in Atlas so it can never be changed. Not to mention the power creep that would irrevocably imbalance the entire game if she were to be relocated. Nope, sorry, she has to stay there. I'm totally 100% against moving any of the NPCs, ever. If the original devs wanted them somewhere else they would have put them there to begin with. We can't just go around changing things all willy-nilly. We have to think of the power creep. First ask yourself "is this going to cause power creep". And if the answer is yes, then no, you can't do it. And if the answer is no, well then you're wrong and you still can't do it. That's all there is to it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Captain Fabulous said:

Sorry, can't do it. The original devs had Ms. Liberty right there in Atlas so it can never be changed. Not to mention the power creep that would irrevocably imbalance the entire game if she were to be relocated. Nope, sorry, she has to stay there. I'm totally 100% against moving any of the NPCs, ever. If the original devs wanted them somewhere else they would have put them there to begin with. We can't just go around changing things all willy-nilly. We have to think of the power creep. First ask yourself "is this going to cause power creep". And if the answer is yes, then no, you can't do it. And if the answer is no, well then you're wrong and you still can't do it. That's all there is to it.

What are you talking about?

Power creep? For moving an NPC?

• Haha 1

I guess some dont consider Ms Liberty's spot as the atlas park trainer as iconic.  She was the first signature NPC that most players met and the trainer that many people went to when they dinged 50.  Moving her because she is in multiple places at once is an incredibly flimsy reason in a video game.  They cant have her as the trainer from 8:30 AM till 3 PM on Mondays through Thursday,  in Fort Trident from 3:30 PM till 7 PM on the same days and over in Independence Port on the weekends but in none of those places during the Valentines event.  Role players should have the easiest time making up a reason as to why she is in multiple places at the same time (see above) not a difficult time.  Clearly for gameplay purposes she needs to be at each location full time because she needs to be available to the players.  Removing one of the most iconic characters from what is likely the most iconic location in a 19 year old game that many people play for nostalgia would probably be one of the most disrespectful things the current devs could do to CoH.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:
13 hours ago, Rudra said:

What are you talking about?

Power creep? For moving an NPC?

wow, that one flew over your head.

Yep. By at least a few miles. Probably because I saw nothing funny in the comment.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

It's, OK, not everyone is blessed with a sense of humor. Hopefully you were blessed with other useful skills 😉

I'll keep looking, but I can't seem to open the lock on the Life Skills box. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

I guess some dont consider Ms Liberty's spot as the atlas park trainer as iconic.  She was the first signature NPC that most players met and the trainer that many people went to when they dinged 50.  Moving her because she is in multiple places at once is an incredibly flimsy reason in a video game.  They cant have her as the trainer from 8:30 AM till 3 PM on Mondays through Thursday,  in Fort Trident from 3:30 PM till 7 PM on the same days and over in Independence Port on the weekends but in none of those places during the Valentines event.  Role players should have the easiest time making up a reason as to why she is in multiple places at the same time (see above) not a difficult time.  Clearly for gameplay purposes she needs to be at each location full time because she needs to be available to the players.  Removing one of the most iconic characters from what is likely the most iconic location in a 19 year old game that many people play for nostalgia would probably be one of the most disrespectful things the current devs could do to CoH.

As a roleplayer, I don't even consider any of the trainers as just standing around in that spot all day (I mean seriously, from a RP stand point that's just dumb), or them actually training my character.

However, I know I was one of those players who liked to go back to Ms Liberty for lvl 50 ding back on live 🙂

That said, still say Dominatrix (who last I recall became hero in the storyline) is the only one I would consider replacing Ms Liberty in Atlas Park with.  It keeps it Jessica Duncan but an alternate universe one 🙂

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BrandX said:

As a roleplayer, I don't even consider any of the trainers as just standing around in that spot all day (I mean seriously, from a RP stand point that's just dumb), or them actually training my character.

However, I know I was one of those players who liked to go back to Ms Liberty for lvl 50 ding back on live 🙂

That said, still say Dominatrix (who last I recall became hero in the storyline) is the only one I would consider replacing Ms Liberty in Atlas Park with.  It keeps it Jessica Duncan but an alternate universe one 🙂

If the community really wants one of the Ms. Liberties replaced, which I still don't understand the need or desire for, then why not replace the one giving out the TF? Ms. Liberty remains the public face greeting fledgling heroes to the cause and Dominatrix can take over the TF. That would keep her out of the general public's view since she is a known problem child from Praetoria while also giving her an opportunity to prove herself a hero by leading the investigation (TF), under the watchful eyes of Freedom Corp and the Freedom Phalanx of course.

Edit: Like @BrandX, I don't think of any of the NPCs as always just standing at their assigned spots. So I personally have no problems with Ms. Liberty standing tall at Atlas Park, giving out her TF in Independence Port, and still being in Pocket D trying to deal with her "Uncle Stephen". Just like PCs can tackle multiple things at the same time. (How many missions/arcs and tips can we juggle at once again?)

Edit again: There is also the consideration that the game is written from a single character perspective. Your character is what the story revolves around. So if a team mate is interacting with a different Ms. Liberty at the same time? That is because from the perspective of their story, she is there and from the perspective of your story she is with you instead. You may be on the same team, but as far as the game is concerned, it is the team leader's perspective that is valid. Not what the team members may also experience.

Edited by Rudra

I feel like we're due to have some NPC heroes and villains get promotions to trainers and TF/SF contacts.  As the game timeline moves forward, moving Ms. Liberty to her task force permanently and replacing her as a trainer shows some in game progress.  In my opinion, Back Alley Brawler and Blue Shield (replaced with Ms. Shock as King's Row's protector and trainer) also deserves Task Forces instead of their current posts.  I know we're all somewhat holding on to the past by being here in the first place, but if Incandescent can replace Castle in Peregrine, I think we can pass out some additional promotions as well.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Eh, I think I'd rather devs spend their limited time on other issues.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Eh, I think I'd rather devs spend their limited time on other issues.

Replacing a trainer doesn't take much time or effort.

Again, I will cite the example of Castle being moved away from P.I.