hi,

here's Dalton Crey; 3rd son of the Countess.  I'm trying firey aura / claws.

* he like figs, nature programs, and radio plays when falling asleep.

* he disapproves of his brothers' irresponsible behaviors. 

* to the chagrin of the Crey family, he's taken up mantle of a hero. a tolerated nuisance, to be told - family summons are often charged.

View This Build In MRB

I'm trying to optimize this, keeping if I can:

* spring attack

* pheonix rising (because its a nuke now if you drop below 75% health)

* i wish i didnt have to take 'punch' in fighting pool, but they haven't fixed it yet.

can anyone see improvements?  I definitely lean more attack than defense.

Edited by honoroit

What are your goals with this build exactly?   As you assessed, the build has arguably more offense than may actually be of merit to have and sacrificing more survivability benefits.  If you're goals are to be more offensive oriented, then I would argue a brute would be better suited to the build you're attempting on some levels perhaps instead of a tank?

i like the tank AT, its extended reach on things, bigger ranges in aoe and whatnot.

the hope is i can muster 'enough' survivability to play it more as offensive melee, as opposed to something like my shield/stone (virtually immune / hardy).

i want to get dipped of health for phoenix rising.  the heal is decent and quick recharge.

so, yup, offensive.

Offensive-minded Tank with Spring Attack as a requirement? Ok.

Here's how I would go about it.

fireclaws.thumb.png.f2616bc6a4a37d9506b3666390c9c386.png

Might be a Pokemon - Tanker (Fiery Aura - Claws).mbd

An "offensive Tank" isn't necessarily a bad idea, I just think the way you're going into it is a little off kilter. What makes a Tank good at offense is its ability to stand tall while swinging, so buffing up your mitigation should definitely be considered, and it's completely possible to become a shredder that will remain unkillable in 99% of content.

Spring Attack seems a little overkill with this combo, but it's in there. Since it doesn't have a very high base dmg, throwing some procs in it and calling it a day is probably the best choice. But really, Spin and Burn is probably enough.

As for using Phoenix as a nuke, I think this is the best way to go about it.

phoenixslotting.png.eb101f2e34bc11a2ac709d8e1906b1b9.png

2 D Sync Heal/Rech and some procs. This way it's still ED capped on Healing and Recharge while putting out some good damage. You don't have to worry about the recharge diminishing proc chances since it's already on a huge timer.

Other things I wanted to include were capped Slow RES (always important on a RES-based armor), and multiple opportunities to proc Build Up. Follow Up is great at keeping your damage healthy, but these will help spike your DPS!

Hope this helps!

Also personally I would just ditch Spring Attack for Taunt.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

On 7/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, honoroit said:

i like the tank AT, its extended reach on things, bigger ranges in aoe and whatnot.

the hope is i can muster 'enough' survivability to play it more as offensive melee, as opposed to something like my shield/stone (virtually immune / hardy).

i want to get dipped of health for phoenix rising.  the heal is decent and quick recharge.

so, yup, offensive.

Taking more attacks in a build doesnt necessarily equate to having a more offensive tank.  It can sometimes dilute the tanks effectiveness for damage actually.  Also your endurance/recovery ratio is a bit high meaning your attack rotations end deplete you pretty quickly perhaps.

Screwing around, I came up with a Fire/claws tank that does more damage, not just in terms of activation but due to the fact that it also(depending on the rotations you use due to FF, can recharge much faster(meaning more hits per typical mob group encounter per minute.  It also has much better overall resists to the build, more overall defense (less minorly less in some  parts but that's also compensated for by the much better resists) better regen, and more.   And also a bigger change is much much better endurance/recovery ratio going on (to help compensate for the fact you're going to more actively hit more/do more damage).

You could change incarnate choices for much more regen at the sacrifice of a smaller amount of damage etc or other similar considerations. I assumed you wanted more overall damage per choices.  You also could switch some things around with +buildup proc between tactics and followup but thats more as to whether you want more limited burst vs generalized damage ppm's.   Additionally you could also add the range build up proc in focus switching out either the FF proc(I wouldn't) or one of the set pieces(though reducing damage for the build by 4% overall if the proc doesnt hit or if you do not use the power mind you).  

Shockwave can also switch out one of the set enhancers(small global dam loss) to accommodate adding a kb to kd proc too depending on your desire (and again I'd not remove the FF proc).

Also you dont need to run focused accuracy toggle (will increase end drain by a third) unless you needed to so its an optional small +tohit there.  You could also switch the enhancer there to suit such needs too.

Lastly, you'll notice no travel power was taken.  This is because you can just as easily take the p2w travel power for such purposes for 1mil influence to free up power choices.

However it that's not satisfactory for you, simply remove vengence(for a rather minor recharge loss overall due to the rest of the build (2.5%)) and add super jump from leaping as you'd had on your other build.

So the over all meaning to all this is that you do more much more damage, hit more easily, regen more, recover/use less end in general, and can potentially have a much better recharge. 

Tanker (Fiery Aura - ClawsMelee).mbd

--------

That said then, I would like to play a bit of a devil's advocate for a moment.

Mostly your goals overall though seem to be to be an offensive character with some amount of defenses in place.   That speaks more to being a brute.

Yes, your next point is perhaps to say then that (as you did in your other response) that you wanted something with better range, more targets etc.

But:

1. There are no differences between Brute's fiery armor set offensive powers and that of tanks.   

- Burn, consume, fiery aura  all have the same radi and numbers of targets that can be hit with their abilities. No differences.

2. Of the claws powers you've taken, only spin is different and only in the number of targets.  Both brute and tanks spin are 8ft with tank getting 16 targets to that of 10 for brute.

The other aoe(cone actually) related power that you took in your build, shockwave, hits the same number of targets, range and radius for both brutes and tanks. No difference.  Focus range is also the same for both tank/brute with no differences.

So since you're focus is offensive, a brute will match or exceed a tankers(yes per the changes last year) damage once the brute hits 13-14% of its fury(ie 1-2 hits or so).  At 80% fury(a good average fury sustainability benchmark), that brute will be doing double and a half the base damage of an attack of that of a tank.  Of course this isnt factoring build choices, procs etc but it is of merit to mention.

However, yes, if building for resistences or defense, then of course the tank is going to build more easily for that and therefore be easier to achieve tanky status there of.  However, with your initial build considerations, that you were mostly satisfied with seemingly) it would be arguably able to be achieved on a brute and you would've done considerably more damage offensively.  Scaling back even then on a brute some damage to shore up defense and resistance considerations(not to the level mind you of the above build I briefly came up with) would have you still potentially doing much more damage than the above tank build suggestions as well.  

Again, hard to judge what your goals are and the build I've presented is just after a smaller amount of time dabbling to see what could be achieved for a tank AT wise.  But hopefully the thought processes for approaching your tank/offensive build differently may help guide your thinking as you continue to progress your building further.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

^ ill have a look, thank you!

i figure tank scales armors easier - being primary, has the bigger range / radius in attacks where ever it applies past burn, which is low at 5 target on brute too - but that is more for the initial strike procs versus the dot damage, and i dint think that varies?

fire/claws 'feels' as fast or faster (on fire farms specifically with 54s - and grouped with buffers versus solo), when compared with my staple spines/fire brute. 

im 42 on dalton, with incomplete slotting and crafted ios filling in. not 50 with incarnates all maxed out. thats with buffs though from a team - which is how i want to play him, not another farmer. this just an example as i was astonished by how he compared.

in general use, hes fun, and 'seems' effective so far. 

its hard to judge the availability of buffers on teams, like nature, kin especially, or else that buffs your damage.  to me, that as a common mechanic directly diminishes brute. with a kin, everyones at their cap. albeit brutes is higher, but then were back at range on things and target caps.

the truth will come of it at 50, where his compare is a sitting bio/staff.  

3 hours ago, Sanguinesun said:

Both brute and tanks spin are 8ft with tank getting 16 targets to that of 10 for brute.

Tankers get +50% radius on all AoEs under 15ft. So Tanker Spin is 12ft, which is very nice.

This won't show up in Mids or in power info, but it's there, immediately obvious ingame.

Fire/Claws is one of these characters I'd always play on a Tanker rather than a Brute.

Well, to be fair I tend to always pick Tanker over Brute, averaging ratios the balance is overall stacked towards the Tanker since the buffs.

But, this is especially true for Fire/Claws, for the following reasons:

- going from 8ft and 10 targets to 12ft and 16 targets turns an excellent PBAoE into a shredder of crowds.

- Claws' damage is built around Follow Up. Tankers get a bigger absolute buff from Follow Up due to their higher base damage, and a *much* bigger relative buff due to their AT not being built around Fury.

- Fire Armor's somewhat flimsy defenses at Brute/Scrapper levels become respectable with Tanker values. Capping S/L res effortlessly is in itself a tremendous survivability boost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Fire/Claws is the dragon build in my signature. You can get some slotting ideas from there if you'd like. I can't condone picking Spring Attack though some room could be made for Phoenix Rise.

I'm from the camp that tankers are tough enough naturally (especially with the godlike +res ATO) and thus don't need extra special attention so offense on, brothah!

(Consider the Turtle build too as it is surprisingly offensive)

• Like 1