Health/Stamina Slotting

drgantz

Since I don't mind respeccing, I base my slotting in Stamina/Health on my needs as I level up.  Running low on blue?  Next time I get a level that grants slots put one or two of them there.  At some point, if I have plenty of blue I'll respec.

Most of my characters use the base slot (Perf shifter proc in Stamina, Panacea proc in Health).  Then if needed I will add (in order):  Miracle proc, Perf Shifter End mod, Numina's proc.

Health is also a great place to pump up your regen if that's your build strategy -- I personally prefer active heals.

Who run Bartertown?

I was told, more than once, don't slot regen unless you're playing a regen toon. So in other words everyone who isn't a regen melee toon doesn't benefit. That always seemed odd to me but some clarification would be welcome

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I was told, more than once, don't slot regen unless you're playing a regen toon. So in other words everyone who isn't a regen melee toon doesn't benefit. That always seemed odd to me but some clarification would be welcome

See Health Regeneration.

From memory: 

• Every player gets (Total Health ÷ 20) healing per tick.
  • The time between ticks is (12 seconds ÷ Regeneration rate)

Obviously, a player needs to have taken damage for this sort of Healing to mean anything. For my way of thinking... unless the character has a high base Health (Tanker, Brute), or is otherwise not even trying to have Defenses or Resistances, chasing more Regeneration (beyond what players get from the base Health (40%?) isn't likely to be particularly noticeable... as opposed to Endurance/Recovery, since toggles and clicks have an Endurance cost. Tankers/Brutes start with more HP and so getting it back with shorter ticks allows them to keep 'spending'  Health.

Any character that is considering increasing Regeneration as a viable strategy to avoid defeats should probably consider slotting the Reactive Defenses: Scaling Damage Resistance piece first, because it will further add to the base resistances while the character is not at full Health.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

It's really just a matter of needing at least ~400% regen or so for it to start actually improving how long you can survive in any moderately challenging fight. You're not getting anywhere near that number without some primary or secondary powers that focus on regen, so it's best not to bother.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Vanden said:

It's really just a matter of needing at least ~400% regen or so for it to start actually improving how long you can survive in any moderately challenging fight. You're not getting anywhere near that number without some primary or secondary powers that focus on regen, so it's best not to bother.

That doesn't seem like it would be true for everyone.  I can see this being true if Regen is the only damage mitigation someone has but if someone already has 95% damage mitigation from defense and/or resistance, say, then a much smaller increase to regeneration should make just as big a difference in the amount of incoming damage you are actually affected by (assuming you're not sacrificing something more effective to get it, of course).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

That doesn't seem like it would be true for everyone.  I can see this being true if Regen is the only damage mitigation someone has but if someone already has 95% damage mitigation from defense and/or resistance, say, then a much smaller increase to regeneration should make just as big a difference in the amount of incoming damage you are actually affected by (assuming you're not sacrificing something more effective to get it, of course).

This^

Like ultimately I think folks would agree it really comes down to the build/sets.  In the case of my scrapper (Claws/SR) they have/had no powers boosting regeneration (outside of Health duh) and Medicine barely covers it.  It takes maybe 8 to 10 seconds for her passive regeneration (~32hp/sec) to equal to using Aid Self (iirc what Aid Self did) as compared to an SR scrapper who hasn't put much effort into it (~18 hp/sec) where it could take 15+  seconds to recover the same amount of health.  As an SR typically hits fall much further apart in time, especially if i break contact and duck around the corner from a lot of heat, start kiting etc., and of course passive resists come into play as well.  Now look at where your typical support character with a much lower hit point total and build needs like recharge and defense/resistance take precedence over +max health and +regeneration making seeking higher passive regeneration much less effective (doubly so with self heals available) mitigation.

Edited by Doomguide2005

7 hours ago, ZemX said:

Very difficult to do on many ATs - off the top of my head I'd say almost impossible for blasters. If you're able to correct me I'm interested in seeing how that would work

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Very difficult to do on many ATs - off the top of my head I'd say almost impossible for blasters. If you're able to correct me I'm interested in seeing how that would work

I didn't say many ATs could achieve that level of mitigation nor is the point I'm making dependent on reaching all the way to that extreme.   My point is that there can't possibly be a one-size-fits-all metric (like 400%) for determining whether adding ANY regen to a build is "worth it".    How much regen you need (whether that comes in the form of passive regen or active healing) depends entirely on how much damage you're taking.  In other words, it's inversely proportional to your mitigation level, whatever that level is.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ZemX said:

How much regen you need (whether that comes in the form of passive regen or active healing) depends entirely on how much damage you're taking.

Exactly.  On a squishy character that isn't getting a lot of focused fire but may get the attention of various mobs on the fringe of the fight, even a modest amount of regen can do the job of offsetting that incoming damage.

I wish Arcanaville had stuck around on HC, or that I had the patience and search-fu to find her posts on the old forums about regen.  IIRC she said that even the regen from Health was significant in her tests and simulations, I think in relation to her "immortality line".

I can see how some people might not "feel" the difference unless they have regen in the 400%+ range, but I can say that I definitely notice the difference at 250%-300%, which is pretty easy to obtain without devoting a lot of slots to it.  I get to experience this difference with every character I take to 50 that doesn't have a heal, because I usually wait until 50 to slot my final build.  I have a mish-mash of stuff until then.

Slotting my final build at 50 and getting that regen boost, then playing that character I absolutely notice the difference.  As I said before, of course it's not going to sustain me by itself if I'm under serious fire.  But in extended fights with lower levels of steady incoming damage it absolutely makes a difference in keeping me upright.  It also is quite noticeable how quickly I top off between fights.